What's new

Just WHY do people buy films on HD? (1 Viewer)

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
Cutthroat Island is one of my guilty pleasures. If it comes out in HiDef I'll probably buy it, but place it at the back of the stack of discs.

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
netflix only for me at this point (haven't purchased a DVD in a couple of years or any HD-DVDs).

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I’m on the “Cop-out” train. I just ordered my HD-A1 and picked up U-571, Full Metal Jacket, Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick. Full Metal Jacket is a movie I LOVE. Pitch Black & Riddick are two that be it crap to most or not I really enjoy watching and have seen numerous times. U-571 was bought purely for showing off. The movie is ok but it’s a hell of a piece to show off with. The same with my SD DVD copy of Pearl Harbor. It is a crap fest as far as I’m concerned but the attack scene being just about 30-35 minutes long really stretches my home theater’s legs with the DTS track. I keep it around just for that and jump straight to chapter 21 when giving a demo of my setup.

There are a few titles on HD-DVD though that I love and will pick up once the player arrives like Training Day, Unforgiven, The Searchers and so on.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I guess I will way in with why I purchase some of these HD titles. It is not for the love of movies, although I do very much enjoy watching them, and it isn't to impress my buddies that come over, although it certainly does. I buy because it is my hobby.

I guess in the same genre, you might ask why people collect Beanie Babies, or trading cards, or, if you have the money of Jay Leno, Cars. My collection is movies. And it has been since LD's.

Purchased VHS, replaced by LD's, replaced by DVD's, and now, to some extent, replaced by HD-DVD's. I only received my player last week and currently own 12 HD-DVD's (I was hard pressed to find 12 that I really wanted, but needed something to play.) As the releases grow, I will get a little more selective on my purchases and will probably never replace all of my DVD's (1700 plus) with HD as I did in the past.

So, bottom line, it is my hobby, and like many hobbies, it is a passion.

Thomas Eisenmann

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor

To me, crap like Doom, Pirates of the caribbean, are not intresting but the release of Enter the dragon, Vengeance of the zombies, Gaxalina, etc are the reason I want a HD-DVD player. Just some more good movies and I get one.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I can remember when Lost in Space was everybody's favorite reference disc. I didn't buy it because the movie stank to high heaven, even though I was as starved as anyone else for demo material.

That being said I have been known to buy movies that were of dubious artistic merit simply because the dvd was eye candy. I'm doing it again with HD-DVD. I haven't sunk so low as to buy a copy of Doom, but did rent it. U-571 is not in the same league with Das Boot, but I own a copy of it because it's eye and ear candy and not that bad if I'm in the mood for a popcorn flick.

I had never seen Seabiscuit or Friday Night Lights because I generally don't like sports movies or maudlin sentimentality. I bought them for the eye candy factor and ended up really enjoying them as films as well.

I have Sleepy Hollow,Apollo 13 and Goodfellas, all excellent films but not really HD demo material more because of their cinematography than any other reason, and I would have been perfectly happy just to have stuck with the sd versions.

When the list of available titles broadens I will start to become more discriminating but until then I will continue to purchase the occasional marginal title on HD-DVD.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
'Cause there so friggin fantastic looking & sounding!!!

Is this the silliest thread you could have on the HD software forum, (i.e. why do people buy HD software)??? :-0

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks