Just watched "The Fifth Element" on HDHBO in OAR - WOW!!

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Joel Vardy, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

'The Fifth Element' in OAR on HDHBO. I now understand the limitations of DVD (I have both Superbit and original versions). The telecast was heads and shoulders above even the Superbit version on DVD. Only the audio was a bit less dramatic (though not half bad either). The video was simply stunning and for some reason this 'eye candy' was presented in 2.35:1 OAR. Colors and detail were without peer. Anyone else catch it?

Joel

2. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yeah What happened did Luc besson storm the HBO studios at Gunpoint and force them to show it OAR? Only other film I've seen on HBO in OAR was Forest Gump. It looked mighty fine especially on my Direct View Set.

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I thought it was Showtime. [​IMG]

It was a beautiful presentation. I was bizarrely entranced by the red roses on Ruby Rod's costume. Great colors and great detail.

4. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

Yeah, I don't even like The Fifth Element and it was hard not to watch. What a gorgeous picture!

5. Trenton McNeil

Trenton McNeil Second Unit

Last weekend they were supposed to have shown it in OAR, but some blockhead screwed up and showed the 4:3 version. I was miffled. Very, very glad to see it shown tonight, but I didn't catch all of it.

HD is SO here. [​IMG]

6. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I'm gonna try to catch Murder by Numbers tonight it looked great the little I caught of Saturday. I also caught a portion of Robocop on late this weekend and it looked very good also looked like True HD and not an Upconvert. I can't wait to see Spiderman in a few weeks. I wonder if Lucas is gonna Let HBO show a Hi Def AOTC's ? Although it'll probably be MAR.

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

8. David Forbes

David Forbes Supporting Actor

Over at the AVS Forum there's a long discussion about this. Apparently HBO is claiming they were supposed to get a new HD transfer but it was damaged and that's why they started showing a 4x3 version. After lots of complaints they went back to the HD transfer they showed several years ago that only had a DD 2.0 soundtrack, which is what they started showing yesterday.

Yes, it looked sweet. But God is it a dopey movie in a lot of ways.

9. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

10. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Unfortunately, 2.35 OAR is the exception, not the rule at HBO, which is why I don't bother with it. My order of preference:

HD OAR
    DVD OAR
    2.35 HD cropped to 1.78

11. David Forbes

Joel,

That is unfortunately a big unknown. I did, however, go to HBO's web site last night and sent them a very nice thank you for the OAR broadcast and encouraged them to continue. I said the audience for HD is a niche audience who are very into OAR. I suggest everyone interested in getting HBO to change their inane policy do the same.

12. Trenton McNeil

I think they 'hobble' the HD OAR broadcast with 2.0 audio on purpose to prevent people from getting the whole shebang, so to speak.

13. David Forbes

Trenton,

No, they've had other broadcasts that have been in 5.1.

14. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

15. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

All the HBO 2.35 transfers have only DD 2.0/ProLogic sound, since they were made before they started showing MAR transfers (around June 2000), and HBO didn't have 5.1 sound regularly then. On the new transfers made since then you get the 5.1 sound but not the 2.35 OAR.

16. Trenton McNeil

*waits patiently for HD DVD*

17. Glenn_Jn

Glenn_Jn Stunt Coordinator

I think all films shown in HD whether it be HBO, Showtime or networks, look pretty awesome. Unless they're the downrezzed versions then they're not as good. I was watching a bit of "Silence of The Lambs" last night, DAMN! I thought the new DVD looked good! I did notice it still had some of the specs and scratches that infest most movies especially older stuff. I do wish the studios would clean these movies up and make pristine HiDef masters.

18. John Knowles

John Knowles Stunt Coordinator

John
    I'm toying with the idea of trying HD HBO or Showtime...is Showtime any better about doing OAR? How does HBO's original programming look over HD?

19. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

As best I can tell, Showtime is always in OAR.

As for HBO original programming, it all looks fairly nice in HD, but only some are in widescreen. Most of the documentaries are (understandably) 4:3.

20. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

Ditto on Silence of the Lambs on Showtime HD. I only caught a couple minutes of it, but from what I saw, the picture was a lot sharper than the MGM DVD. Too bad HD-DVD is probably at least 3-4 years away.