What's new

Just wanted to get some opinions on my collection... (1 Viewer)

MichaelPR

Second Unit
I think im gonna pull the trigger on the criterion hitchcock set they have it at a bestbuy near me....should I pick it up?? I see one of you recomended cause of its apparent value...but what about the films...I dont want to buy it just cause its oop

NeilK

Stunt Coordinator
The films are spectacular, especially The 39 Steps and Notorious IMO. The transfers are amazing, as are the commentaries. The films are all essential Hitchcock viewing. :emoji_thumbsup:

WillKTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Lol .. yes, thanks, Chris. Yes, Ghost in the Shell should be a must see for those interested in sci fi or anime.

Hey Neil, so what if they aren't Hitchcock or Criterion or older more classic films as was requested? Not everything has to be so specific. Sorry, different generation, feel and appreciation level. At least my collection is out there to back up my tastes .. good or bad. So .. isn't that the fun of it? An opinion and an online captive audience. Boo .. sorry you disagree.

There are flaws with some of my recommedations, but, I rate movies/films on many factors, some of which I may associate with another's comparative taste levels. Neil, do you also consider Independence day, Matrix sequels as outstanding must owns? Perhaps someone else more humble does.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Well so far I picked up the Hitchcock criterion! I'm really looking forward toward checking them out. Just to let anyone know there's still one box left at the West Nyack Best Buy for $118 If anyone's intereasted. The DVDs sound very interesting. Thanks for the recomendation Neil! Will I've heard of City of Lost Children...whats that all about? I also need to pick up final fantasy although I'm not a big fan of Titan A.E. Anyone see that new Onibaba Criterion...I know nothing about it but that cover is gorgeous!! Thanks for all the info...Oh I also picked up that great classic.....Grease 2..haha...was for the gf to get permission for the hitchcock set lol

NeilK

Stunt Coordinator
You must get Onibaba, it's a true horror classic of Japanese cinema. Damn you criterion, my pockets only go so deep. :D

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
You need more Monty Python. And the original Night of the Living Dead. But not a bad collection. What do you think of mine (link in the sig)

WillKTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Michael

City of Lost Children - dark comedic sci fiction journey some compare to some of Terry Gilliam's work. Without going into too much, it's about an isolated family, living on an oil rig of sorts, who go to no end to help the elder (not the one in the fish bowl!) feel by using children, as he can not experience certain emotions, if any. Can't fully recall the totality of it.

Unique set designs, characters and story bordering unusual. It's just plain different, but definately engaging with a variety of strengths to offer up. It's quite original as I've never really seen anything like it, but it's tangible at the same time.

The quality of this film far surpasses any recommendations that I made above. Definately a rental if not just a down right blind buy.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Your collection is fine as long as you only have movies that you enjoy and will watch more than once...

I never buy something that wont be watched more than once or that I dont like... Classic or not...

I know several people who have extensive collections which is just fine... But, then I hear they blind buy almost everything, dont like half the movies in their collection, and that they have them just to have them because no collection is complete without them... Well, IMO that is just a big waste of money that could go for something you do like...

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Buy what you like and only what you like. dont buy stuff just to have it. If people looked at my collection i have a bunch of movies i know people like some in this thread would bash. But who cares what they like. i like it and thats it. You should do the same.

capt

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
You should add more films made before the 1980's. There are many, many films made before 1980 that can enrich your film viewing pleasure.

MichaelPR

Second Unit
Just wanted to say I also wound up picking up today Onibaba and Straw Dogs. And I put in an order at DVDPlanet for, Ikiru, Rashomon, Red Beard, The Third Man and Traffic.....I should be good for a long while haha. I have soooo much to watch and so little time!

Stephen_Ri

Stunt Coordinator
It's kind of a strange question. I mean, you've got your taste in films, and everyone's different. You've got mostly mainstream films from all genre's so it's hard to make recommendations. If you haven't already, try more artsy films. The last four DVD's I've watched are Ali: Fear Eats the Soul(Criterion), A Sunday in the Country(Kino), Woman Under the Influence(Pioneer), and Gold Rush(WB). All were enjoyable, and if I were going to collect DVD's, I'd go with relatively obscure but high quality films like these. Then again, they may bore you to death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks