Just updated my website with my new LCD PJ

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Wes, Jul 15, 2004.

1. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Hey Wes, is the black level on the PT-L500u noticeably different from the crt? Was it one of the first things you noticed?

Black level in a major concern for me. And the Panny 300 & 500 are the only pj's on my list. I want to know what I'm getting into before I get one.

2. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    If you’re really picky at the black level LCD may not be the way to go. On brightly lit scenes where there is black it looks great, but in dark scenes the detail all blends together compared to my old CRT PJ. It's definitely a trade off, the LCD is much quieter, brighter, sharper and I moved up to 9' wide where I was pushing the CRT at 8'.
    The CRt had better black level, in so much as when the screen went black like before the movie starts it almost felt as if your eyes were being sucked from out of your head (in my light controlled room). The LCD goes a dark gray so the screen is always lit. The CRT is smoother at drawing the image, where as when the camera is panning you can see the pixels turning on and off on the LCD called FPN (Fixed Pixel Noise). Not a big deal but it is noticeable if you look close.

I have not watch a lot of HD on the new LCD but I do think the NEC PG9 CRt I had looked better with HD. Finding Nemo and other animations look better on the LCD. You just have to over look the negatives while enjoying the positives. I figured I would try it for a year or two and if I then desire better and nothing comes out better in this price range I may move back to CRT but I doute that will happen as LCD and DLP are making great progress every year.

Wes

3. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    LaMarcus, I see you’re coming from a CRT RPTV. You will love any PJ you install just cus the size and theater feel you will achieve. But keep in mind there are drawbacks but the bigger screen will way out way the neg.

I had not seen your theater lately just wanted to say it looks great, you have done an excellent job now it's time to give it that PJ finishing touch!

Wes

4. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

I like the theater...

But anyone viewing from their work should be careful, the popups have very questionable pictures which may not be appropriate...

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

I agree. You know I came from that same CRT RPTV family before I went LCD FP. One thing is for certain, I will never go back to a TV for my theater again. I could not be happier with my Panny.

All my friends that have seen it and compared it to my old RPTV have said it looks exactly the same, just much bigger. I of course can pick it apart.

You've been talking FP way too long LaMarcus, it's time you made the upgrade. With a good screen and proper calibration you won't be disappointed. You'll be more concerned on how to get that smile off your face every time you fire that FP up.

6. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

You don't know how right you are. My ducks are lining up, and I should have my theater exactly how I want it before the end of August.(hopefully [​IMG] )

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Wes:

I noticed that you have some screen shots of one of my favorite Disney's in Beauty and the Beast. How would you say your Pani compares to your NEC now that you have been able to see this DVD on both systems?

8. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    The panni out shines my old CRT with animations. Beauty and the beast looks amazing which is also one of my favorites. Nemo is breath taking as is all the pixars.

I thought you had a PJ cus I could have sworn you posted a thread about watching a Disney movie with your daughter on one a while back?

Wes

9. Christer W.

Christer W. Extra

Wes,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I don't have email notification turned on for some reason. I would like to swing by. Now that you have come over and pointed out the flaws in my L200, that is all I can see! BTW: the sound is great. Thanks again. Next week (August 2nd)looks good to me. Family is out of town and I am bacheloring it. I will give you a call to arrange a meet.

Give me a heads up on a Utah get together. Sounds fun.

10. Parker Clack

Parker
    Wes:

Years ago I had a CRT projector and then a few months ago I picked up an X1 to try out but I had a lot of problems with rainbows and sent it back.

One of these days.

11. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Chris, I will let you know if and when we arrange a meet but sure Aug 2nd sounds good and perhaps we can piggy back that evening to get the 4805 and the Hitachi over also.
    I have a friend that has the Panni 500 also (I talked him into it)and he will not let me come over cus he is afraid I will point out the 500 faults to him also he thinks it's perfect![​IMG]
    My friends and neighbors hate me cus I love to spend their money![​IMG]

Parker, So what happened to the CRT PJ? Which one was it? I would say it's time to pick up another PJ, what do you think?

Wes

12. Parker Clack

Parker
    Wes:

The time is getting there for sure. Frankly though I don't have the room to hang a projector in. If I get anything it will probably be a RPTV for now until we get into another house that I can have a dedicated HT in.

I used to have an old Zenith (I forget the model number) that I used for about 3 years and when I moved into this house I sold it to a guy for more than I paid for it originally. Not bad to buy a projector and use it for 3 years and come out ahead.

It did have a great looking picture on it though even at a 10 foot diagonal.

Parker

13. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Parker, I finally got around to redrawing up my adjustable screen masking system and wanted to post it for you to see.
    As you can see it's not rocket science!

It's at the bottom of my page!
    http://prosteering.8k.com/photo2.html

14. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Chris, let's set up another time for you to swing by. I think we forgot our last window![​IMG]

Wes