Just Saw The Superbowl in Hi Def.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Jan 28, 2001.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Like I said on other forums, I'll never go back to regular TV again
    any opinions of the game and the new technology?
    (Sony 10HT projector, 16x9 dalite screen, kenwood/polk in Dolby D)
    ------------------
    Chuck
    -Onkyo Enthusiast
    -"Wega isn't all that bad...it's actually quite good."
    Chuckster's HT

2. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Overall, an excellent job done by CBS. The only two negatives were some sound problems early in the game, and the halftime show wasn't in hires.
    ------------------

3. anson

anson Auditioning

I had a regular TV on at the same time as the HD broadcast just to compare. I found that the regular broadcast jumped to replays A LOT more than the hi-def broadcast, not to mention lots of eyevision footage. The regular broadcast had the better announcers, in my opinion, but overall I enjoyed the HD version. As a bonus, HD cameras caught Collins picking his nose in the 2nd half [​IMG]

4. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    Well, I do have an HDTV ready set...but sadly, there are no DTV towers around here and I live in a townhouse so setting up a dish service is currently not possible...
    But, that is all beside the point. I just did not realize that the HD and standard broadcasts were different...other than the obvious resolution difference. I always assumed they were the same (same commentators, etc) Interesting...
    Aaron

5. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I was hosting a Superbowl party, so I only got to see about half of the game and (more importantly) the commercials. That teaser for A Knight's Tale looked cool in high def, but what is it? Gladiator meets Camelot? Other than that terrible RCA golf commercial, were there any others in high def?
    I'm glad that we got to as least sample "EyeVision" even though the quality was a little lacking. We did a picture-in-picture with the 4x3 standard broadcast, but it did not seem like we were missing anything.
    Everyone enjoyed the clarity of the picture. I liked what I saw of it.
    Next up for an HD party...The Phantom Menace.
    Cheers,
    Steve

6. Frank

Frank Stunt Coordinator

The HDTV quality was supurb as usual from CBS. There were a few sound problems at the very beginning that didn't last long. I wish the cameras had zoomed out more so as to show more of the players during the plays. Watching those fights in HD was interesting. Watching the expression on the faces of the players during the fights was something I've never been able to do before.
    Everybody that's seen HDTV on my system is mad at me for reducing the enjoyment they get from their own low definition televisions. Sorry about that guys! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Frank...
    Turn off the TV and read these books those in power DON'T want you to read...

7. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I had a few people over and we all really enjoyed the game. Special thanks to CBS for the broadcast. I caught the sound blips too and all of my friends gave me a hard time saying that I should take all of my equipment back [​IMG]. Thanks, Chris
    ------------------
    Home Theater: http://www.ig-88.net

8. Carsten Lawrenz

Carsten Lawrenz Auditioning

Yes the HIRES footage was great. BUT.... Why did they use a different set of announcers??? Luckily I was able to tune my stereo to the Simulcast of CBS so that I could hear Phil & Greg.
    I can't believe that they would not try to do a more professional job at it. It'll be very hard to pull in new viewers if they mess up other broadcasts this bad!!

9. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

I'm surprised you were able to enjoy listening to the regular announcers with the HD broadcast because of the time delay. I didn't even try it yesterday. On the Boston feed I get, there is nearly a one second delay between the SD feed and the HD feed. In the opening road game when the Ravens had a punt blocked, I heard Greg Gumbel report that the punt was blocked and saw it a split second later. After that I never listened to the SD feed again.
    SMK

10. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

Steven,
    I tried that, too, and also found it distracting and gave up after listening to it for a few minutes.
    The HD commentators weren't as enjoyable as the SD commentators I've heard in the past. Especially when they were about to cut to commercials and you can hear the HD commentators sniffing in their snot, [​IMG] instead of blowing their nose when they were absolutely off camera.
    The pre-game shows were also done well, even though they were not in 16:9. The added bars on the left and right was a great idea, IMO. Other DTV stations look really washed out and fuzzy, while CBS is obviously clearer.
    Were the Bucs' jerseys white with a purple hue to it? I kept wondering if my set was adding the hue or not throughout the game.

11. Jim A

Jim A Auditioning

I too decided to stay home and watch the game in HD instead of going to a party soemwhere else. Boy am I glad I did. First off, being a Giants fan, it was better to be home and alone and sulk and not spend money going to a party. Secondly, the broadcast in HD was great. I too had the sound problems early, and I was upset that I couldn't get to listen to Phil Simms and had to settle for CBS second string for announcers. My complaints are the same as the others....not enough lose ups like on the regular broadcast, less replays, etc....but I guess this is what we will have to deal with until HD broadcasts are the prime way that sports are shown and the SD gets less important. CBS should have shown the half-time show in HD too.
    I am still impressed by what a cheap radio shack antenna can do with the right receiver.....DAMN!!!! I didn't get a chance to show it off to friends but maybe next event like the Masters I will have some buddies over.

12. Leonard Gee

Leonard Gee Auditioning

I stopped by the local The Good Guys in Hayward, California yesterday to check out the Super Bowl in all it's HDTV glory on their Mits 65" 16:9 HDTV with Mits HDTV Sat receiver since I've been thinking of taking the plunge for one.
    I was discouraged. Although the picture was fabulous, it looked like and sounded like shit most of the game!
    Here are my observations:
    audio sync was off throughout the game. Examples: during pre-game interviews, when the commentators were speaking, and when the referees were making the calls. Looked like a cheap kung fu movie-ie. words and lips did not match. Not even the ads were in sync.
    audio drop outs. Examples: same as above.
    video pixelation (sp?). Frequently and throughout the game. Sometimes like blocks, other times looked as the picture was shot in slow motion, or with a slow dissolve effect.
    video freeze. Frequently and throughout the game.
    Are the above faults of the TV/HDTV box, or CBS, or both?
    Are these faults common with HDTV hardware and/or broadcasting in it's current state?
    Did any of you with HDTV see the same problems?
    Thanks in advance. I really do want to buy a HDTV.

13. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Leonard:
    I definitely did not see what you saw. HD can have all the problems you describe, but here near Boston, they have all been fixed. 30 to 35 miles from the Boston transmitter using a Rat Shack antenna in my attic without an amplifier I get perfect reception and no freeze frames, no drop outs of either video or audio, no pixelation, and synch is perfect. There were problems several months ago with the synch, but they have been fixed. At the very beginning of the Super Bowl broadcast, there were some audio glitches. They disappeared quickly, and the rest of the broadcast was technically very good. I suspect there were problems with the setup at the store you were at. What you saw is not typical of HD if you take any care at all in setting it up.
    SMK

14. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    Please direct comments on reception problems to the other thread that Leonard opened. And let's keep the duplicate posts to a minimum, okay?
    - Steve

15. Todd_R

Todd_R Extra

I was trying to figure out the names of the HD announcers. I know I've heard them many times before on regular season games. By the way, the playoff games that were in HD on CBS had these same guys instead of the #1 announcers so I was prepared to hear them for the Super Bowl too. I wish they would figure out how to use the regular announcers for both signals. Oh well, I guess I didn't miss Phil Simms too much... [​IMG] I thought the HD guys were actually quite good for most of it. My picture on a Mits 55807 was quite unbelievable!! Had 35 amazed friends over. Fun. I might have to have a party for the Masters Golf as well!
    -Todd
    ------------------

16. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    The person doing the commentary of the game was Daryl Johnston. He played for Dallas a little while back. My fiance is in love with him and I've actually met him on a couple of occasions. He is a really nice guy. I can't think of the play by play persons name though... Thanks, Chris
    ------------------
    Home Theater: http://www.ig-88.net

17. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    Moose!
    [​IMG]
    - Steve

18. Dave Baldinger

Dave Baldinger Auditioning

Originally posted by Carsten Lawrenz:
    "I can't believe that they would not try to do a more professional job at it. It'll be very hard to pull in new
    viewers if they mess up other broadcasts this bad!!"
    Actually, the crew just sits around with their thumbs up their butts and TRIES to screw up.
    Carsten, get real. As a television producer, I know how these things work and I'm offended by your ill-informed criticism. I've been there when satellite links fail, cameras crap out, audio feeds go to the wrong channel. Shit happens. Especially when you're working with new technology and crews who have very little experience dealing with that technology.
    I think CBS is to be commended for making the effort to bring us Hi-Def events and we, as early adopters, should be a bit more patient while the "growing pains" are being worked out. It WILL get better...it's just that right now, everyone is on the front side of the learning curve and it's going to take a while to reach the peak.
    When was the last time you got something absolutely perfect the first few times you tried it?
    Dave
    ------------------
    STOP DVI/HDCP and DFAST.
    Boycott JVC and any other manufacturers who support it!