What's new

Just saw Jaws! (1 Viewer)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
On the big screen that is. This was the one movie I've waited my whole life to see in a movie theater. When it first came out in 1975 I was 8 years old and despite my begging and pleading my Mom would not take me for fear i would have nightmares. Last August it showed at my local Cinemark but unfortunately I was out of town on vaction so I missed it. I thought I'd never have the chance again. Then I noticed Cinemark was playing it again this year (along with Raiders, E.T. and Schindler's list). I told my wife, "nothing's keeping me away from seeing it this time!" It was everything I hoped it would be. This is one of those movies that needs to be seen on the big screen. I'm guessing the bluray was shown and I noticed that some shots were soft/a little out of focus while other shots crisp and clear. Anyways, I really enjoyed it. I took my daughter and even though she had seen Jaws before she still jumped at a few scenes (especially the Ben Gardner head scene). Also I've always wondered this but have never asked and maybe someone can answer this. The shot where Brody is saying "The wire's showing, the wire's showing!" right next to Brody's head there is a blurry area like a vasoline smear or something. Has anyone noticed this? I've also noticed this in a scene in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Any thoughts?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Oddly enough, I saw it in a theater earlier this week too. It's tons of fun seeing the movie with an audience.
Bob_S. said:
Also I've always wondered this but have never asked and maybe someone can answer this. The shot where Brody is saying "The wire's showing, the wire's showing!" right next to Brody's head there is a blurry area like a vasoline smear or something. Has anyone noticed this? I've also noticed this in a scene in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Any thoughts?
I'm far from an expert but what you're describing sounds like a split diopter shot (where an object in the foreground and an object in the background are in focus but a small part of the frame between those two objects has to be out of focus).

Jaws is one of my favorite movies so out of curiosity, I'll take a look at the shot when I get a chance later today.

EDIT: I took a look and yes, it's a split diopter shot. So Brody's face and the wire are able to be both in focus but right around his head ends up out of focus.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I was lucky enough to see this at Radio City Music Hall about ten years ago and it was one if the best moviegoing experiences of my life. It was sold out and the crowd was totally into it cheering after every famous line. Peter Benchley introduced the screening and told a few stories. I've always thought that a proper rerelease of this film would be a great success at the boxoffice, even with today's jaded audiences. Man what I would give to see an IMAX rerelease.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I was at the Radio City showing...but it wasn't ten years ago, it was sixteen. Summer of 1997. How time flies, eh? :eek:Unless they did show it again later, with Benchley introducing. But that was a great time, and I even had the privilege of taking a friend who had been a Jaws fanatic for years...but had only ever seen it on pan-and-scan video!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Charles Smith said:
I was at the Radio City showing...but it wasn't ten years ago, it was sixteen. Summer of 1997. How time flies, eh? :eek:Unless they did show it again later, with Benchley introducing. But that was a great time, and I even had the privilege of taking a friend who had been a Jaws fanatic for years...but had only ever seen it on pan-and-scan video!
Yikes. Was it that long? I guess it was. Time flies indeed.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Since I hadn't seen a 35mm print of Jaws in a number of years (the last few screenings have been a DCP), I went and saw it for the second time in a theater in a week and a half.

In case anyone was wondering, it's still awesome.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
where did you guys see this? cant seem to find any current info.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Cinemark 16 in Somerdale, NJ is where I saw it. If you have a local Cinemark, they might also show classic movies. Mine shows classic movies on a regular basis. Some movies they showed were Raiders, E.T., Gone With The Wind, The Birds, and Frankenstein/Bride of Frankenstein double feature. I believe they show the bluray versions. I'm spending more at the theater than I have in a long time.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
TravisR said:
The suburbs of Philadelphia, PA. Specifically, the County Theater in Doylestown and the Colonial Theater in Phoenixville.
Really? My wife and I frequently go to peddlers village in lahaska and have traveled to Doylestown and passed this theater. Thanks for the info guys

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks