What's new

Just redeemed my first Fox 4K code, triple disappointment (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So I spent $30+ go get The Revenant which comes with an HDR10 coded 4K disk. I hastened over to FoxRedeem.com to get my Vudu and iTunes version to find out:
- The code only redeems in HD, not 4K.
- Since it's not in 4K, no HDR. My TV is awaiting a patch to see HDR10, but is currently Dolby Vision capable. I can't watch either the disk or the Vudu stream in HDR right now.
-Despite saying on the box "Watch on ALL YOUR DEVICES" you only get to redeem the code on one spot. Normally I'd have redeemed on iTunes and not cared about the Vudu side but since I want to watch in 4K HDR I redeemed on Vudu first. Big mistake.

If I want to buy the movie on HDR at Vudu it's another $40. You don't even get a discount if you want to upgrade to 4K HDR.

Seriously this whole situation sucks. Warner gives you a 4k HDR code at least when you buy a 4K movie. It would be nice to get an iTunes code too but at least there's that. The Fox code is basically worthless to me since I can't even load this up on a file and take with me on a portable device the way I could have if I had only redeemed on iTunes first.

Frustrating.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Despite saying on the box "Watch on ALL YOUR DEVICES" you only get to redeem the code on one spot. Normally I'd have redeemed on iTunes and not cared about the Vudu side but since I want to watch in 4K HDR I redeemed on Vudu first. Big mistake.

Using FoxRedeem will lock you into the one service, but if you redeem the code directly on Vudu you can then use it to redeem directly on iTunes as well...

The Fox code is basically worthless to me since I can't even load this up on a file and take with me on a portable device the way I could have if I had only redeemed on iTunes first.

You CAN load it onto a portable device - the Vudu app lets you download...

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Whatever happened to the whole promise that 4K UHD Blu-rays would have their own embedded digital copies that were compatible with everything?

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
This is categorically not true for Warner and others David. I've redeemed 4K HDR codes for Mad Max and others.

Really, my understanding they where only HD versions. I haven't tried redeeming them because I already had the HD versions. All the ones I have tried "The Martian", "Agent 47" and a couple others where all HD versions

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
This is categorically not true for Warner and others David. I've redeemed 4K HDR codes for Mad Max and others.

Really, my understanding they where only HD versions. All the ones I have tried "The Martian", "Agent 47" and a couple others where all HD versions

Just because I think there are some wires crossed here...

FOX gives HD digital copies with the 4K blu purchase.

WARNERS gives 4K digital copies with the 4K blu purchase.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
After doing more research it looks like Sony will also redeem a 4K copy but only on the Ultra service. The only bummer with the Warner redemption id that Vudu only supports DV right now. So I would still just watch the Disk since I only have HDR-10.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
After doing more research it looks like Sony will also redeem a 4K copy but only on the Ultra service. The only bummer with the Warner redemption id that Vudu only supports DV right now. So I would still just watch the Disk since I only have HDR-10.

So if I already redeemed it on Vudu I'm hosed, but if I had redeemed it on Ultra I'd get it in 4K there and HD via Vudu?

If so: Have I mentioned just how fing stupid this whole scheme is?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I wouldn't waste em. At least redeem em and hope they straighten this shiz out. I sat out the first few years (not wanting to be a statistic in this mess) while my family kept collecting codes and not redeeming em. We piled em all together and put em through but never watch em except for a couple 4K HDR ones.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Warner and Sony are now redeeming UHD. I'm not sure if you have to redeem the Sony codes at the Sony site though to get UHD. I'm not touching the codes for Fox or Lionsgate until they redeem UHD.

Anyway doesn't matter much to me because I didn't buy the disc to watch a bit rate starved streaming version. But would be nice just knowing that I have them for future use.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
So I spent $30+ go get The Revenant which comes with an HDR10 coded 4K disk. I hastened over to FoxRedeem.com to get my Vudu and iTunes version to find out:
- The code only redeems in HD, not 4K.
- Since it's not in 4K, no HDR. My TV is awaiting a patch to see HDR10, but is currently Dolby Vision capable. I can't watch either the disk or the Vudu stream in HDR right now.
-Despite saying on the box "Watch on ALL YOUR DEVICES" you only get to redeem the code on one spot. Normally I'd have redeemed on iTunes and not cared about the Vudu side but since I want to watch in 4K HDR I redeemed on Vudu first. Big mistake.

If I want to buy the movie on HDR at Vudu it's another $40. You don't even get a discount if you want to upgrade to 4K HDR.

Seriously this whole situation sucks. Warner gives you a 4k HDR code at least when you buy a 4K movie. It would be nice to get an iTunes code too but at least there's that. The Fox code is basically worthless to me since I can't even load this up on a file and take with me on a portable device the way I could have if I had only redeemed on iTunes first.

Frustrating.
This is same as when HD started up ! We need to complain to get results. I posted ,I did not buy an HD tv to watch SD.
SPEAK-UP people!!!

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Are you sure, Sam? Because I redeemed Mad Max on VUDU, and only got the HDX version.

Yes, 100% sure. The Vudu app will default to showing HDX you need to manyally swap it to UHD. You will know for sure when you start to see HDR flashes in the vid =)

Mad max UHD by Sam Posten III, on Flickr

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Only Warner has UHD movies available on Vudu, so they are the only codes that will redeem in UHD. If you redeem your code on myuv.com you will get a UHD UV copy, so when it is available in UHD on Vudu, or another UV service, then it will import as UHD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks