Just read over at www.thedigitalbits.com that Sony will be releasing Charley Chase Shorts V1 on 1/1/

Discussion in 'DVD' started by rmw650, Nov 28, 2012.

1. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Here is a link to the article detailing what will be included in this set and it seems like the sound shorts are finally going to be making their way onto the DVD format...http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/112812_1200
    "Sony will also release Charlie Chase Shorts: Volume 1 as an MOD DVD-R title on 1/1/13. Included will be Man Bites Lovebug, The Mind Needer, The Chump Takes a Bump, Rattling Romeo, Skinny the Moocher, The Awful Goof, The Heckler, South of the Boudoir and A Nag in the Bag."

2. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Has hell frozen over? Sony is actually releasing more of its shorts? Would have preferred a release through the TCM partnership, but I'm glad these are finally being released.
    Assuming this is through their MOD line, this is a landmark in actually releasing a shorts collection through that line, as it rarely has any collections to begin with outside of a handful or repackaged sets of previously released films.

3. rdf8585

rdf8585 Stunt Coordinator

Ryan
    Count me in with open arms.
    Hoping this is the first in a wave of their two-reelers seeing the light of day.

4. Brent S

Brent S Second Unit

Brent Seguine
    The product page on the Sony HE site misspells Charley's first name. I hope that's corrected before the packaging is finalized.

5. BrianRi

BrianRi Stunt Coordinator

Great news! Sold!

6. cadavra

cadavra Stunt Coordinator

mike schlesinger
    Don't...get...me...started....
    Mike S.

7. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Hope this is available through other outlets, I don;t think Sony ships to Canada with the MOD.

8. rdf8585

Ryan
    It should eventually be available through at least WBshop, Amazon, and Oldies. It probably ends up on eBay as well.
    I haven't seen a pre-order anywhere yet.

9. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    I think a pre-order listing just went up on Amazon tonight...http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Chase-Shorts-Vol-1/dp/B00AIA89ZA/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1354939533&sr=1-1&keywords=charlie+chase

10. rdf8585

Ryan
    Has anyone seen the box art yet?

11. rdf8585

Ryan
    A[IMG ALT=""]http://www.hometheaterforum.com/content/type/61/id/173082/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

12. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
  13. rdf8585

Ryan
    The estimate has mine getting here Friday... hope so, as this set is as highly anticipated as anything in a long while.... up there with the Stooges Rare Teasures/Fatty and Shemp Vitaphone set.....

14. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    Curious to see a review of this if you could. I'm a fan of shorts, but that fatty Shemp set went south after the Fatty shorts ended. Disc one did anyway, I still have to watch disc 2.

15. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen
    Received my disc yesterday and thought the transfers were top notch. I remember Mike S. stating a couple of years ago that Sony was planing to release Chase's shorts so I expect that they worked on the transfers and we are seeing the fruits of that work. I enjoyed each short with Chase a unique comic with excellent timing and Ann Doren is a perfect female foil for him. Bring on some more of his shorts.

16. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    I've watched the full collection yesterday, and as someone who has never seen his Columbia work (and was a bit wary) , I can thankfully say that this Charley Chase set is very strong. Chase wastes little time getting back to his groove at Columbia by the first couple shorts. Maybe I'm biased because I'm a big Chase fan, but I found the majority of them hilarious. I'll second the endorsement of this set's transfers--they're just as good as those found in the Stooge sets. I'd recommend watching the second disc of the Vitaphone collection. I agree it's pretty hit and miss, but there are some entertaining shorts on that half of the collection.

17. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

I've read some posts in various forums suggesting there may only be this one release, despite its being titled "Volume 1." I hope that turns out not to be the case. But I do find it curious that they are "starting" with his last shorts. I hope usable film elements exist on all of them. I've seen a few at Sons meetings and enjoyed them. Looking forward to this DVD, and hopefully more. But then, Sony's Buster Keaton shorts collection had the films in alphabetical order, so whatever.

18. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    From what I read in other forums from people that represent Sony, there will be more if sales are good. If so, Volume 2 should be out this Fall. RHI/Vivendi have the Hal Roach shorts, and I agree those should be released one way or another. Currently, the only show up on TCM once in a great while. Judging from those that aired, it seems that pretty much all of the sound Hal Roach Chase's have been remastered outside of his earliest in which some are still missing their separate sound discs.

19. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Hoping they do release Volume 2 this year and we get a completed series of Chase's sound shorts...great talent and funny as hell!

20. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak