What's new

Just played GT3...WOW! (1 Viewer)

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
I continue to be amazed by how some people just call this an 'upgrade' from GT2.
You guys should just stick with your old PS1 console and play GT2 forever.
GT3 is a sight to behold.

I continue to be amazed by how some people can be so bedazzled by the graphics that they fail to recognize that for the most part the rest of the game is the same as GT2. List some significant improvements over GT2 besides the graphics, and I'll reconsider. Maybe there's something I'm not noticing. I could be wrong.
GT3 is a sight to behold. That's why I said it has better graphics than GT2. But what else is there that's so phenomenally better than GT2? If a car manufacturer slapped a new chassis on the same drivetrain and electronics of an older car, would you call that a significant improvement?
I've logged so many hours into GT3 already it's not even funny. But I won't let myself be fooled into thinking that GT3 is anything but a prettied-up GT2. Hey, it's fun so who cares, right?
------------------
This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

Van Patton

Second Unit
YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!! I just got the B, A, International A, International B and am 1 race away from the Rally license!!!!! Life is good.
11.4% :)
------------------

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Of course, those of us that never played GT2 could give a rat's ass about how similar they are... :)
------------------
"If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

Van Patton

Second Unit
Oh man I'm worn out. I just finished the Super Speedway endurance race!! I have a crappy car (Miata) with 2 turbo chargers, racing tires, and a computer chip. I placed 4th and got 50000 dollars. It took about 1 hr 15 mintues. It was cheap because I was in 2nd the whole time until like 5 laps left when 2 Porsches(RUF) came past me.
------------------

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Yohan,
I think the control is much tighter in GT3 than it was in GT2 especially in the rear wheeled cars. But I didn't play GT2 that much I was more into the fist one.

Drew Dockery

Stunt Coordinator
I agre GT3 is amazing overall, and in 2 days I've wasted a good 6 hours on it. Am I the only one that noticed how it's missing BASIC options though? There's no volume adjustment for music and effects, just on or off. I corrected this by using my own music, but I shouldn't have to. Also, how hard could it be to give us a couple different views from behind the car? There are plenty more I could list, but none of them ruin the game by any means, and it's still plenty of fun.
------------------
I'm going off the rails on a crazy train!
Drew

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I hear ya Drew. I was looking for sound adjustments after a few minutes in the game. None to be found. What the hell is up with that?!!?
That could be nitpicking, I suppose but, I would like to turn up the effects a bit more and tweak the music down.
Also, why the hell do all the wheels put out my the manufacturers in the game, look VERY similar to each other? Couldn't Polyphony have put in some manu's with some different looking wheels? Hell, I have the buzzsaws on my 454ss (real life) and, there isn't anything like that in the whole game. There aren't even any deep dish rims where you could slap on some wider tires for your car. I would've very much liked to have seen that. We really don't need 50 wheels with the 5 spoke pattern, in the game; do we?
I also agree on a few more views. Realizing that G.T. has never put in an "in-car" view while driving, I still would like to see one in a future version.
[Edited last by Derrik Draven on July 18, 2001 at 02:55 PM]

Peter_A

Second Unit
Me, I'm just glad you can completely turn the music off, give me pure engine anyday. Listen to the engine only also improves your driving. As for the views, the bumper cam gives you the best sense of speed, and I always find that any behind the car view in a simulation driving game gives you a floaty control feeling. An outside view like that is great for games like Twisted Metal Black. But this is all IMHO of course.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Peter
"If rubbin' dirt in your crotch is wrong, hey I don't wanna be right" - Futurama

David Benkert

Stunt Coordinator
Instead os posting a new thread I thought I would add to this.
I just got a PS2 and GT3. I am using it with a Mits WS 65" TV. The picture doesn't look as good as I expected, but I am new to gaming so I don't have much to compare it to (PS and old GT I used to play on a 27" TV which looked good.)
I feel I am doing something wrong since the picture while racing doesn't meet my expectations. The car looks good and the sky looks good, but while racing, the crowd and a lot of the signage flicker a LOT. I see a lot of star stepping on the car too.
I have the player and game set for 16:9 and am running my TV in the mode I run my Enhanced for WS DVDs. I test a DVD and it looked pretty good (not as good as Component running progressive though :)
Is this because:
A- Interlacing artifacts from a game with so much movement
B- Improper calibration (I used Avia through the PS2 to get a rough idea and have done convergence)
C- I am using S-Video - would Component help?
D- I'm an idiot and have it set up wrong
Any ideas? I am thinking mostly A or D :)

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
If you are used to watching DVDs on component cables, and you noticed a difference when watching over SVideo, then that is certainly one place to correct it. You may also want to go into the options menu for GTA3 and turn 'Trails' off. I think that is a motion blurring option that may improve your visuals.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Does that mits set have manual doubler modes?
If so, try putting your doubler on 'video' mode. It may help.
PS2 should have included progressive scan. I mean, Dreamcast has it. Come on, Sony!
furious.gif

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
You need to get the component cables. That's not even a fair comparison to expect it to live up to a progessive scan DVD player to an interlaced video game system on S-Video cables.

David Benkert

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies guys!
Matty, I figured component would help with color and things like that, but will it help with the Interlacing artifacts I am seeing in the crowd/signage and other stuff?
I may have mis-spoke in my original question. I was not meaing to compare DVD with Video games - just the fact that DVD looked fine and that was making me assume it was the non-progressiveness of the system that was causing the artifacting. Personally, I think progressive scan would be the biggest improvement.
I hope I haven't offended anyone - I tihnk I just may be VERY sensitive to the Interlacing artifacts on this "big" set.

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
David-
I wasnt being pissy, i was being excited that you hadnt seen the difference in quality yet! It's HUGE! Compared to the composite cable? TWICE as good. Im viewing it now on an HDTV, but previously I was looking at it on a JVC D-201 and it was STILL crisp and impressive. It REALLY cuts down on the shimmering.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks