What's new

Just picked up 2 carver TMF-25's and a adcom 5500 what to do with them? (1 Viewer)

bugman53

Grip
Real Name
josh
A buddy of mine just gave me these amps and I'm debating on using them with my receiver as a prepro setup.
My setup now. I am most concerned about quality with music, it is used 50/50 music/Theater.
A Marantz sr-5005
4 infinity SM-225 towers
1 cc-3 Infinity center
I velodyne ULD-18 Sub.
The Marantz sounds great as is, But i have these amps sitting here so if i can use them then why not,
What is considered a better amp the carvers or the adcom. Both are similar rated in power but the adcom is 2 times as big/heavy.
What do you guys think, use them on the front or are they overkill, Also if i use them on the fronts and leave the rest on the amp how will the volume scale, Will the gains be equal?

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I would use the Adcom for the front, center and rears. It should be a significant improvement over the receiver.
I can't really think of a use for the Carver amps. You could try the one of the Carver amps on the front mains and see if you prefer the sound over the Adcom. Then perhaps use one Carver for the left & right. But I'm guessing that the Adcom makes a lot more sense.

bugman53

Grip
Real Name
josh
I hooked up the Adcom today to the front L, R speakers, there is a subtle difference in sound it is a little crisper and a lot more head room, It will trip the circuit breakers in the speakers. The volume increase is I'm guessing 3-6 db, Before the Marantz would trip the breakers but right about the time you could hear audible distortion. It seems like the Adcom is just barley idling at that volume and crisp and clear. The breakers are supposed to kick in around 200watts RMS from what I can figure, But with 103db sensitivity it is at an ungodly volume and don’t need any more.
So the center and the rear 2 speakers are running off the Marantz receiver and the fronts are off the Adcom.
On a side note I took a 12 volt coil 20amp relay and a 6 plug power strip and made a remote turn on power strip that all the amps are plugged into so they come on with the receiver. The lights in the den dim when it kicks on!

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
External amps are a lot more powerful then receivers. I found that my 85x5 amp is over twice as powerful then the amp in the receiver rated at 110x7

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks