What's new

Just inherited a Nikon D60... (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've been a Canon fan forever...and, well, this Nikon literally fell into my lap.

My GF was given the camera in California(she is friends with an Army photographer and he was "making room for the next latest greatest"). She decided she hates it. Left it for me to sort out.

Only has the main 18/55 with it, already ordered a VR 55-200(old version, currently $170 on Amazon).

Anybody with tips for this camera? Already read the manual until the PSAM...will get used to the camera before venturing further.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
"Read the manual"? What's that? :biggrin:

You might find reviews for it from DPReview and Thom Hogan's site at least as useful as the manual (although there are no doubt a few details you might want to look up in the manual):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond60

http://www.bythom.com/nikond60review.htm -- TH also sells a user guide for each reviewed Nikon, including the D60, that many Nikonians seem to swear by

If you're fairly well-versed on Canon (D)SLRs, I don't imagine there's a whole lot different to speak of, except perhaps these items:

1. Flash system on Nikon operate differently than Canon system (and most seem to prefer it... at least prior to last couple gens I gather), so you'll probably want to spend extra time on that, if you intend to use flash.

2. Auto-ISO can be very useful (and usable) on Nikon DSLRs... even (or perhaps especially) in "Manual" mode -- not sure if much have changed w/ Canon DSLRs in recent gens to match Nikon -- although not sure how well it's implemented on the D60. I regularly keep Auto-ISO enabled on my D800 (and change its settings or disable depending on situation) -- also did similarly on prior D200 and D5100 as well as D70 and a D50 (that preceeded the D60).

3. You might find switching from Canon to Nikon takes some getting used to w/ the control layout... although the D60 (vs Canon equiv) probably isn't quite as different (as many other higher end Nikons vs their Canon equiv) in that regard since there aren't as many physical dials and buttons available. This is also true of controls on Nikon lenses, eg. zoom and focus rings.

One nice feature in the LCD menu system that might stand out, especially given the D60's likely higher reliance on such (than higher end bodies), is the customizable "My Menu" (to customize submenus to only show you what you want and probably find most useful for faster access). On most other (higher end?) Nikons, you also get the option of a "Recent Settings" list (that I like) instead of this "My Menu".

Not sure about the D60 itself, but I usually also like custom setting the "OK" button (in the middle of the 4-way joypad) to zoom to roughly 1:1 pixel level for much quicker focus checking (in playback mode) than stepping thru the regular zoom-in/out buttons -- looks like D60 normally assigns that button to bring up the retouch menu, which I (and most advanced users) would never do in-camera.

There are probably various other features buried in the menu system that you might find interesting and/or useful that might not be common on Canon side.

4. Some other noteworthy diffs (vs Canon) include the finer aspects of how the AF system and metering (both regular and flash) modes work -- the latter also factor into the aforementioned Auto-ISO mode.

Also, although the D60 doesn't have its own built-in AF motor to fully support old non-AFS lenses, it can still meter w/ older lenses and provide working AF focus-lock indicator as a manual focus aid -- and if you like the idea of using (often very cheaply available) old lenses in manual focus, you could probably get a 3rd party specialty viewfinder screen w/ manual focus aid(s) toward that end.

5. If you're new to DSLR (vs film SLR), then you'll probably eventually want to acquaint yourself w/ shooting RAW (ie. Nikon's NEF digital negative format) -- I usually shoot RAW+JPEG (w/ a lower rez JPEG that could be used for quick 4x6 prints or maybe basic web uses) though many/most others prefer to save flash memory space and stick exclusively w/ one or the other (and maybe have their RAW workflow automatically churn out those JPEGs on the computer instead).

If so, you'll probably want to download a recent version of Nikon's free NikonView sofware both to get a taste of using RAW/NEF files and other useful entry level software features before jumping to the paid stuff -- you might want to keep it around anyway for occasional use of Nikon's own (basic) RAW conversion if you do go w/ some more advanced and feature-rich, 3rd party software like Adobe's various options.

Hope this helps...

_Man_

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ManW_TheUncool said:
"Read the manual"? What's that? [emoji3]

You might find reviews for it from DPReview and Thom Hogan's site at least as useful as the manual (although there are no doubt a few details you might want to look up in the manual):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond60

http://www.bythom.com/nikond60review.htm -- TH also sells a user guide for each reviewed Nikon, including the D60, that many Nikonians seem to swear by

If you're fairly well-versed on Canon (D)SLRs, I don't imagine there's a whole lot different to speak of, except perhaps these items:

1. Flash system on Nikon operate differently than Canon system (and most seem to prefer it... at least prior to last couple gens I gather), so you'll probably want to spend extra time on that, if you intend to use flash.

2. Auto-ISO can be very useful (and usable) on Nikon DSLRs... even (or perhaps especially) in "Manual" mode -- not sure if much have changed w/ Canon DSLRs in recent gens to match Nikon -- although not sure how well it's implemented on the D60. I regularly keep Auto-ISO enabled on my D800 (and change its settings or disable depending on situation) -- also did similarly on prior D200 and D5100 as well as D70 and a D50 (that preceeded the D60).

3. You might find switching from Canon to Nikon takes some getting used to w/ the control layout... although the D60 (vs Canon equiv) probably isn't quite as different (as many other higher end Nikons vs their Canon equiv) in that regard since there aren't as many physical dials and buttons available. This is also true of controls on Nikon lenses, eg. zoom and focus rings.

One nice feature in the LCD menu system that might stand out, especially given the D60's likely higher reliance on such (than higher end bodies), is the customizable "My Menu" (to customize submenus to only show you what you want and probably find most useful for faster access). On most other (higher end?) Nikons, you also get the option of a "Recent Settings" list (that I like) instead of this "My Menu".

Not sure about the D60 itself, but I usually also like custom setting the "OK" button (in the middle of the 4-way joypad) to zoom to roughly 1:1 pixel level for much quicker focus checking (in playback mode) than stepping thru the regular zoom-in/out buttons -- looks like D60 normally assigns that button to bring up the retouch menu, which I (and most advanced users) would never do in-camera.

There are probably various other features buried in the menu system that you might find interesting and/or useful that might not be common on Canon side.

4. Some other noteworthy diffs (vs Canon) include the finer aspects of how the AF system and metering (both regular and flash) modes work -- the latter also factor into the aforementioned Auto-ISO mode.

Also, although the D60 doesn't have its own built-in AF motor to fully support old non-AFS lenses, it can still meter w/ older lenses and provide working AF focus-lock indicator as a manual focus aid -- and if you like the idea of using (often very cheaply available) old lenses in manual focus, you could probably get a 3rd party specialty viewfinder screen w/ manual focus aid(s) toward that end.

5. If you're new to DSLR (vs film SLR), then you'll probably eventually want to acquaint yourself w/ shooting RAW (ie. Nikon's NEF digital negative format) -- I usually shoot RAW+JPEG (w/ a lower rez JPEG that could be used for quick 4x6 prints or maybe basic web uses) though many/most others prefer to save flash memory space and stick exclusively w/ one or the other (and maybe have their RAW workflow automatically churn out those JPEGs on the computer instead).

If so, you'll probably want to download a recent version of Nikon's free NikonView sofware both to get a taste of using RAW/NEF files and other useful entry level software features before jumping to the paid stuff -- you might want to keep it around anyway for occasional use of Nikon's own (basic) RAW conversion if you do go w/ some more advanced and feature-rich, 3rd party software like Adobe's various options.

Hope this helps...

_Man_
Yeah...this is my first D-SLR.

I normally shoot with a medium format Leica(a real from "before" Leica).

From a few quick pics I took in conjunction with my LG G3, Sony DSC H55(one of the first "panorama")...

The D60 is quite good. Obviously light years beyond the other two. I don't expect a "medium format film killer" though.

I ordered the D60 guide...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Cool!

Since you're new to DSLR (but familiar w/ film SLR?), one thing to note is the Nikon DX ~1.55x crop factor applied to the 35mm format. Unlike Canon's EFS approach to this, the DX crop/format doesn't actually keep you from trying to use DX lenses on (35mm) fullframe bodies (although you'll have to deal w/ the reduced light circle to varying degrees nonetheless if you ever move to fullframe), eg. I actually still regularly use my Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 DX for its ~22-55mm range on my D800 in 1.2x crop mode and occasionally at ~28-55mm in fullframe... or wider in fullframe if I plan to crop to a wide AR and don't need the vignetted corners in that case).

And because of the crop factor, you might find many 35mm (non-DX) lenses perform better in DX format than 35mm fullframe (at least until you move up to the higher pixel density of more recent bodies) since the usually weaker parts of each lens are cropped out. Nikon does seem pretty good at making the most of this aspect even w/ their DX lenses though as they seem to tend to allow some extra room for the cropped light circle, so many of their DX lenses are not quite as small as one might expect (at least compared to some other cropped lenses like Canon's EFS) and probably allow them to be more usable on a fullframe body (even though Nikon doesn't officially recommend the latter)...

One downside w/ some of the Nikon DX lenses though is the somewhat wavy distortion that some of them (mainly their consumer level widezoom lenses) yield at certain zoom ranges, not just the usual barrel or pincushion distortion. You might notice this w/ that 18-55DX kit lens for instance -- even the seemingly better 18-70DX (that was the old D70 kit lens) and popular superzoom 18-200VR DX (that isn't exactly cheap to own) exhibit this. Nikon's software (and also more recent bodies' in-camera processing) does offer lens corrections to help counter such issues in post, but that's of course not as good as not having the distortion in the lens at all. Still, doesn't seem to bother most people... at least when the subject isn't architecture anyway near as I can tell...

OTOH, there are also potential issues w/ using old lenses that aren't designed for digital... typically in dealing w/ blown-out specular highlights or similar. But since the D60 doesn't autofocus w/ most of those old lenses (that would have such issue), this might not matter to you...

Anyhoo, congrats and enjoy the "new" camera!

_Man_

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ManW_TheUncool said:
Cool!

Since you're new to DSLR (but familiar w/ film SLR?), one thing to note is the Nikon DX ~1.55x crop factor applied to the 35mm format. Unlike Canon's EFS approach to this, the DX crop/format doesn't actually keep you from trying to use DX lenses on (35mm) fullframe bodies (although you'll have to deal w/ the reduced light circle to varying degrees nonetheless if you ever move to fullframe), eg. I actually still regularly use my Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 DX for its ~22-55mm range on my D800 in 1.2x crop mode and occasionally at ~28-55mm in fullframe... or wider in fullframe if I plan to crop to a wide AR and don't need the vignetted corners in that case).

And because of the crop factor, you might find many 35mm (non-DX) lenses perform better in DX format than 35mm fullframe (at least until you move up to the higher pixel density of more recent bodies) since the usually weaker parts of each lens are cropped out. Nikon does seem pretty good at making the most of this aspect even w/ their DX lenses though as they seem to tend to allow some extra room for the cropped light circle, so many of their DX lenses are not quite as small as one might expect (at least compared to some other cropped lenses like Canon's EFS) and probably allow them to be more usable on a fullframe body (even though Nikon doesn't officially recommend the latter)...

One downside w/ some of the Nikon DX lenses though is the somewhat wavy distortion that some of them (mainly their consumer level widezoom lenses) yield at certain zoom ranges, not just the usual barrel or pincushion distortion. You might notice this w/ that 18-55DX kit lens for instance -- even the seemingly better 18-70DX (that was the old D70 kit lens) and popular superzoom 18-200VR DX (that isn't exactly cheap to own) exhibit this. Nikon's software (and also more recent bodies' in-camera processing) does offer lens corrections to help counter such issues in post, but that's of course not as good as not having the distortion in the lens at all. Still, doesn't seem to bother most people... at least when the subject isn't architecture anyway near as I can tell...

OTOH, there are also potential issues w/ using old lenses that aren't designed for digital... typically in dealing w/ blown-out specular highlights or similar. But since the D60 doesn't autofocus w/ most of those old lenses (that would have such issue), this might not matter to you...

Anyhoo, congrats and enjoy the "new" camera!

_Man_
Got my start on a Canon FTB. Then TLB.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Canon dials are reversed from both Nikon, but I can't remember which mimics reality. Left should move your histogram left (darker) and it simply doesn't work that way for one of em and I always have to swap in menu. I think the zoom direction also differs but I won't swear to it.

I'd get the 70-300 over the 55-250 if you can. It's simply the best bang for the buck tele I have ever used. It's a bit more expensive but you are going to find yourself using the far end a LOT more if you do any action stuff. I know you haven;t posted much of that in the past, so maybe it doesn't register for you, but it's on my crop cameras 75%+ of the time, only swapping out for the 100vr macro or a heavier duty like the 80-400 or 70-200 f2.8. For walk around tho I'd almost always prefer the light weight / high quality but slower 70-300 over those options.

YMMV but that's my advice.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Anybody out there willing to sell a Nikon 18/55 lens to work with this camera?

Had issues with the camera not taking pics. Set it "fixed point" with ISO at 800...no problems.

The problems it has on the 18/55 set "auto everything" don't happen on the 55/200 I just bought.

The 18/55 has a scratch on the lens, but produces nothing odd in pictures. But...guessing it has been dropped.

Anybody(or a good alternative)?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You might look for a used 18-70 (discontinued) on eBay. I got one for a song and it's a much better lens than the 18-55. For one thing, it has a metal mount.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
JohnRice said:
You might look for a used 18-70 (discontinued) on eBay. I got one for a song and it's a much better lens than the 18-55. For one thing, it has a metal mount.
What is your take on the 18-105?

If I'm spending $100-$140(found some on ebay, only interested if it has lens and mount caps. Hoods and filters are a bonus)...what's $140-$180...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I really don't know about the 18-105. I generally stay away from the cheaper lenses and the 18-70 is the cheapest one I have. I just know it was highly regarded for the price and it performs well. I simply would never buy a lens with a plastic mount.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Meant to post this in another thread. Moderator can delete.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks