What's new

Just How Much Is A Slipcover Worth To You, Anyway? (1 Viewer)

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Every October I try to add a Halloween movie or two to my collection and last week I ran across something I had to think about. Wal*Mart has The Howling for $14.96. I had just come from our local Kroger grocery store where they have a Halloween DVD display and ran across the same movie without the slipcover for $9.99! So I'm going back and grabbing it this morning. For the protection to the original case, is the slipcover worth 5 bucks to you?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
If there was a copy of the same edition of the same film for the same price and one had a slipcover and one didn't, I'd definitely go for the one with the slipcover. Would I pay extra for it? Heck, no.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
And what exactly are you doing with your DVDs that they need protection? :) I would imagine that most people do what I do with DVDs, sit them on a shelf and pull them out when you watch them and not much other than that.

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator
If a slipcover is the exact same cover art as the case, I'll throw it out (don't even see the point of it in the first place); If it's a special piece different than the actual cover, I'll keep it (ex., Reservoir Dogs SE).

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I really hope that at some point DVD mnfgrs's will ditch these big ugly slip covers and go the way of the CD. It makes very little sense to me why they have not done this yet in a technological world where smaller is better.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Apart from digipaks, where the covers actually provide some protection, I don't see the point, especially since 90% of them have the UPC cut off and a price sticker that's impossible to remove without damaging the cardboard.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Ray H-

In the strictest sense of the word, no, not really, but my collection's original covers stay in a little better condition over time.:)

TravisR-
See above. :) i.e., it's not the discs I'd be concerned about, but the orginal covers.

Jay-
I've never seen the point of slipcovers that duplicate the original artwork, either; but I think there's another thread or two devoted to that!;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
buy both, return the more expensve one and take off the cover and keepit for the cheaper one.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
Tony D is right, that's what I have done in situations like this. You buy a copy from each store and simply return the non-slipcase one to the store that had the more expensive price. Just make sure that the UPCs are exactly the same.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
If anyone has slip covers they would like to part with, I would take them off your hands :)

Personally I never did mind if they came with slipcovers or not. It doesnt really add anything to the overall package, but I think if you are going to spend $20 or more on a DVD, you should at least get your money's worth somehow, if not in terms of the DVD it self at least the packaging.

Since slipcovers are mostly made from thick paper or whatever they are made from, they are easily scratched and damaged, which has happened to several of mind recently after borrowing DVDs out to people. To me it hurts the overall qulaity o the product if they see the out cover of the DVD bent and creased. If it was just a DVD case, it wouldnt matter since they hold together pretty well.

Either way, its just a nice way to go along with the packaging adn at least protect the case or make it look appealing. I still prefer a more solid package though, like something similar to the LOTR or Titanic sets.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I agree with everyone that slipcovers are generally useless and I would definitely prefer a chapter listing if I had to make a choice between the two. I convert most all my discs to ThinPak slim cases anyway...so slipcovers are especially useless for me.

The one thing I disagree with, though, is the original premise of the thread. You can't be sure you are paying $5 more for a slipcover just because you see a copy of a DVD with a slipcover in one store for $5 more than the same title in another store without a slipcover.

I don't think stores charge differently for slipcovers. In many instances the slipcovers seem to go OOP (eg. Finding Nemo). But if you were to go to a store and happen to find a Nemo copy with a slipcover...I bet that store will charge you the same as those newer copies which don't have the slipcover. I think you just ran into a situation where different stores were just charging different prices...and the product was the same...the slipcover notwithstanding.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
no doubt bout it mike.
if you buy a dvd with the cover and return without the cover it will end up back on the shelf at the same price as when it was first bought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks