What's new

Just had a LOTR revelation..... (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Gross

Auditioning
What if Tim Burton had directed these movies? From what I have seen, Peter Jackson has done a good job but based on what Burton did with Sleepy Hollow, I think he would have had made the best looking movies out of the 2.
I just now thought about this while I was looking through my DVD's. LOTR through the eyes of Burton would have rocked. Just my opinion. Flamesuit on, feel free to comment on whether you agree or disagree.

GARY C

Second Unit
My quick 2c
I think if you wanted to keep it 'fairytale' like then Burton would have worked.
Jackson gives this movie a chance (IMO) a being more 'real'.
Or as real as you can get with a fantasy story.
------------------
If you can't learn to do something right, learn to enjoy doing it poorly!

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Johnathon, not being smart here, but have you seen any of Jackson's films, namely Heavenly Creatures? The guy certainly has a knack for fantasy. I love Burton's works, but I sure am glad that PJ is takling LOTR.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I'm with Ben here. Burton is too excentric, whereas PJ is the most down-to-earth guy. And it DOES show in their movies!
Besides, you HAVE to be a big fan of LOTR to make these movies, and I don't think Burton is. IMO it wouldn't work!
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~
[Edited last by Artur Meinild on September 04, 2001 at 06:42 AM]

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I doubt that a faithful interpretation would happen with Tim behind the wheel. He would quickly re-imagine it - even if there was a faithful script written already.
I'm sure it would look great, but his fingerprints would completely obscure the original work.
------------------
"Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Julie K

Screenwriter
I'm with Jonathon - I wish Burton were directing the LOTR movies.
That way, I wouldn't have to go see them and Peter Jackson, my favorite dirctor, would be making something else that would be of more interest to me.
tongue.gif

------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
quote:
That way, I wouldn't have to go see them and Peter Jackson, my favorite dirctor, would be making something else that would be of more interest to me.
[/quote]
Julie, how come I had a strange feeling all along, that you would chime in and say exactly this? :) For that, I give you the taunting elf smiley!
elf.gif

------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~
[Edited last by Artur Meinild on September 04, 2001 at 07:39 AM]

Julie K

Screenwriter
Julie, how come I had a strange feeling all along, that you would chime in and say exactly this?
I knew you'd be expecting me to Artur, so that's what I had to do :)
------------------
My DVDs
"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But they never met any pre-Cambrian life forms, did they?"

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
I think he would have had made the best looking movies out of the 2.
This is debatable, particularly if you've seen Heavenly Creatures, which creates more visual delight on a relative shoestring than most Hollywood directors are able to muster for tens (or hundreds) of millions of dollars.
Furthermore, given that Jackson now has hundreds of millions of dollars, I'd bet we have a more-or-less unprecedented visual treat in store - courtesy of his WETA FX crew, and a host of fresh, largely unphotographed New Zealand vistas.
I love Tim Burton, but, like Ridley Scott, I wish his eye for scripts was as keen as his eye for composition. I felt Planet of the Apes was mildly diverting, but rather weak overall.
I would agree with those who think Terry Gilliam (my favorite director of all this group) probably would not have been as faithful to Tolkien as Jackson is apparently trying to be. This wouldn't have necessarily been a bad thing, methinks (I am a Tolkien fan, but not a slavish one), as Gilliam's vision is always fresh, challenging, and interesting. But of course the point is moot.
However, Jackson is still certainly capable of being every bit as eccentric and over the top as any of these folks, so it'll be interesting to see how much of his signature over-the-top grotesquerie makes it into LOTR.
--Jefferson Morris
P.S. I'm just glad he's doing this and not King Kong. The world does not need another remake.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
The man OWNS one of the original kong models, I am sure he would do his best on a remake :)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Actually Tim Burton wouldn’t be a good choice for LOTR. If you look closely at his movies, he always tends to comedy. Not comedy, comedy but a special sense of humor. His movies are kind of tongue-in-cheek and never serious. This would not work for an epic scale like LOTR. I’m not talking about sense of humor because we will surely see it in LOTR. It’s about the whole and general feeling of Burton’s movies. Even Sleepy Hollow is like this.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
The man OWNS one of the original kong models, I am sure he would do his best on a remake
I've no doubt he'd do his best, but there's a draft of the Kong script floating around online, and I must say it was rather cheesy. That's the real reason I'm glad he's not doing it.
Of course, it was an early draft (possibly a first draft), and it probably would have been the ultimate creature FX movie, but again...strong cheese factor, along with a degree of sappiness.
But of course, you may disagree: http://tbhl.theonering.net/films/king_kong_script.html
--Jefferson Morris

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Burton might have the cinematic vision capable of rendering LOTR on-screen but the main characters aren't at all his usual heroes. Frodo and all the hobbits are from the best families in The Shire, Legolas and Gimli are royals from their respective races, and forget about Gandalf and Aragorn (he may have been mysterious but his uncle is Elrond!). They're all about as Establishment as you can get. About the only "outsiders" you might find are the ents or Boromir; but they're not the main heroes.
If Burton made the movie it would certainly be from Sauron's perspective. Sauron is the only outsider in the books who is outcast and unloved. And for good reason.
To do well Burton seems to need a character to identify with and there just aren't any available without drastically altering the story.
Thanks!
Jason Ashley
[Edited last by Jason_Els on September 05, 2001 at 07:52 PM]

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
What? You think that King Kong putting 3 Allosaurs in "headlocks" and wrestling with them is cheezy?
wink.gif

I'm supprised they did not script Kong giving the Dinosaurs some 'head-noogies' while they were at it
wink.gif

That script reads more like a Godzilla flick straight from Toho.
[Edited last by Sean Oneil on September 06, 2001 at 02:57 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks