What's new

Just got my SVS! (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
After a problem with a lazy UPS driver I finally got my SVS PC Plus 20-39. I was a little worried about the size of it and what my wife would think but after seeing it in person its beautiful! And very slendor, disappears into the room more than I thought it would. Only problem is my rotel rsp-1068 pre/pro wont be in for another 2 weeks so I wont be able to use it till then.

I feel like I am part of an exclusive club now, thanks SVS.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Corner load.
All speakers set to small.
Pre/pro xo set to 80 Hz.
Sub level to -5 in the pre/pro.
DVD player set to bitstream.
All dynamic range control circuits off in DVD and pre/pro.
All bass limiters off in pre/pro.
LFE channel level set to max (i.e., unattenuated level) in pre/pro.
Balance/calibrate all speaker channels to Reference Level.
Low pass filter disabled at the SVS.
Phase to 0 at the SVS.
All ports open and tune switch to 20 Hz.

Set the sub about 2 dB lower (or the same if you like things a little hot) than the speaker channels. Using the next higher scale on the meter and c-weighted slow setting will help keep it from fluctuating and it will be easier to read.

Run a FR sweep at the listening position and look for obvious peaks and nulls. Experiment with placement first, and then adjust phase next. Re-run sweeps until you get the best response possible without resorting to an external PEQ.

Play some music and DVDs and adjust final sub level to taste. Often the music setting will be lower than the HT setting, and your pre/pro should be able to remember settings for both.

Good luck and enjoy your new tower of power!

Ed

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I think you're gonna be a lot happier when you get to fire that baby up. I've had my 20-39PC for a couple of years, have upgraded the driver and the amp and this thing rips my home apart!
Take these two weeks to secure any dishes and or breakable things, make sure any pets have a hiding spot, and your wife is prepared to help wipe that grin off your face when it fires up.........
Then demo, demo, demo..........

terence

Supporting Actor
Excellet choice (I own 2 of them) and you will love bass it will put in your world. ***CAUTION*** You might become a sub/bass fanatic! :D

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
This sub truly brings out the whole pride of ownership feelings I was noticing with other SVS owners.

Ed - thanks a lot for the info, some of it I was going to ask for when I eventually set it up. :emoji_thumbsup:

For the most part I have calibrating speakers down (owned several set over the years and do it for my friends) expect that for awhile I was using powered towers. I never cailbrated the subs in those just becasue I didnt know excalty how to do it. And unfortunately I dont have any placement options. Pretty much where it is is where it will stay. It will be about 3 feet from a corner, I might be able to move it in the corner but I would have to move some of the dining furniture too. There is one other place I could put it but its on a side of the room that is open to a lot of space, not the best spot from what I have read. I will surely see what I can do though. Thanks again, you didnt have to do that.:)

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
Not an SVS owner (Velo HGS15II) but still have "sub" pride of ownership.

I highly suggest testing as many placements options as you can. I had my sub in what I thought was the best place for more than a year. When we put hardwood floors in I played around with a few more locations. When you find the "holy grail" of placemnts your life will change. Foundation shaking, tight...clean..... bass.

I still feel like a 8 year old kid on Christmas Morning when I hear/feel her working. Last night I had cannon balls ripping through my plaster walls and couldn't stop grinning :D

Miles Lucasso

Stunt Coordinator
Know what you're feeling man.
The UPS man just dropped mine off 25 minutes ago. I plugged it in, turned it on and popped in "Sting's Brand new day" album.
First track, 'still love you' and whoa baby, walls are vibrating, but I think they like it as much as I do.

Enjoy Man!

-miles

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator

Watched that scene numerous times............ and have yet to finish the movie.

Funny how my sub has condensed many loooooooooooong movies into fantastic 20-30 min. video clips.:D

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit

Right as I was reading this post I was watching a rerun of That 70's Show and they were playing that song to the ending credits. And whats even stranger than that is when I started reading the song I was actually singing it to that song. Wierd.

DonnyD

Screenwriter

Last year I upgraded the driver from the original to the SVS recommended "improved" driver, and last week, I upgraded the original 190 w amp to the new Bash 300w amp. The amp may not be on their website but info can be obtained from Tom V. or Eric at SVS. Great upgrades!

We've only watched a couple of movies since the amp upgrade but I can already say that the difference is quite dramatic. My son thought I had actually added bass shakers to the love seat and we've noticed more things on the walls need stabilizing! And to think I was about to pull the trigger on a PB2+....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks