What's new

Just got my SVS today, need help calibrating- i have an onkyo 595 (1 Viewer)

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I am trying to set up my svs 20-39 correctly. I noticed at the SVS site that many people go 2-6db or even 2-10db with the sub over the rest of the speakers. Well I set mine at that. I just think I should have more bass. It is not right. I have the SVS in the corner. I have read some post on here and it appears that the internal test tones on the Onkyo 595 that I have are 10db too low for the sub. Does this mean that my sub would have to be at least +16db to get to the +6db range of what most people listen at? I just want to make sure. I guess I need to go out and get the Avia disc. Do they sell it at places like best buy or Curcuit City?

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Brian,

The ONLY sure-fire way to get your subwoofer adjusted right is with a sound meter and a disk like Avia (as you note) or Video Essentials.

Read the manual over and do the measuring with NO sound field settings engaged. Check especially "Mid-night mode" or whatever the low level watching mode is called, "THX Movie" settings (where the bass is often rolled off below 30Hz in a big way, and any subwoofer peak limiters. You might even have an "LFE Trim", set it to the highest position. And naturally make sure your speakers are set the right "sizes", and if in doubt, set them to small.

Put the sub in a nice corner of your HT and then calibrate with the test tones of the disk you get (all at 85dB with Avia, 75dB with VE). If you typically watch at moderate levels then indeed a nice bump of the subwoofer is usually nice (I range from +2dB to +9dB! though you probably can't run +9dB at high master levels without bottoming the sub).

Holler at us via e-mail if you want quick feedback on any other adjustments.

Happy holidays, enjoy your bass!

Ron

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
I just saw "Avia Guide to Home Theater" on Crutchfield.com and they are selling it for $49.95 US. Is that worth it? Seems kind of a high price.

Ken

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
It can be had for about $30.00 online. I think Alldirect.com has it for about $33.00 dollars.

You lucky dog, my SVS doesn't come until tomorrow! Oh, the agony, oh, the agony...

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Brian, I can confirm that the subwoofer tone on the Onkyo 595 is 10db too low when compared to Avia or VE. Set all the speakers to the same level, then set the sub to 10db over that level on your meter and it will come out almost exactly the same as a calibration with Avia.

However, I still recommend that you get the Avia disc since it has tests to ensure proper phase/time alignment, frequency sweeps, calibration for your television, and countless other invaluable tests that will have you tweaking til' the cows come home. That and my SPL meter are the two best purchases I've ever made for my HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks