What's new

Just got my JBL E250P and wow! (1 Viewer)

Brian Sc

Auditioning
Just got the JBL E250P in the other day and it is great. Its in a a 20x25 room and it is extremly loud. I watched star wars the other night and every explosion would rumble the coach. Sounds great for music to and can produce enough bass to vibrate my hair. The only thing i dont like is that when i have the voulme turned up failr lound level 45 out of 80 with it with the reciever having it set 10db higher so its 55 and with max volume on the subwoofer and not sure if it makes a difference but double bass on. I certain songs i notice it bottoming out. At least this is what i assume it is. Anyone else notice there sub bottoming out with the jbl? i realize that i have the setting pretty high so that may be the cause of it. Also anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be other then bottoming out? anyways it plays so lound before it bottoms out it doesnt matter. To me the noise sounds like the woofer can go and further and when its hiting peak excursion

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
While it is a good sub, you certainly can 'use it all' without much trouble.

If you are becoming a bass head, spend $1200 on a SVS PB2+ :D

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator
Brian:

Try the same songs with the sub turned on to 2/3 or 3/4 power and see how it sounds. I have a bigger room than you square footage wise and at loud receiver levels I don't have a issue.

On my Pioneer VSX-55TXi I have the sub setting to plus.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Use the receiver's sub/lfe trim setting way down low, say 75% down. On my HK, that means setting the sub out trim at -5db, as it goes from -10 to +10db. This will prevent the receiver from sending distortion, which would then be amplified and reproduced by the JBL.

To compensate for the new, lower setting, open up the volume knob on the JBL.

kyle ^_^

Agent
Hmm good advice, Ill have to try that on my SW2... So if you turn it 75% down, and raise the volume knob on the back of the sub, you will have about the same out put with less distortion?

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Yep - called gain structure. Hot sub out into an amp that isn't working hard can introduce distortion, much like overdriving a guitar amp for rock and roll.

This is reproduction, though, and clean is king. So, keep the gain structure clean and let the amp do the heavy lifting at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks