What's new

Just got me thinking... L & R speaker placement (1 Viewer)

Mazinger_Z

Auditioning
While I was rearranging my speakers the other day, it got me thinking where to place speakers that are "marked" LEFT and RIGHT. My Infinity's and Bose' both are marked L & R on the rear, but how to determine?

Do you determine LEFT & RIGHT when you are in front of the speakers/HT watching a movie? Or the LEFT & RIGHT sides if you're standing behind the speakers.

I tried both setups but found no discrepancies. What does everybody use as rule of thumb?

Chris Lanni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christopher
Mazinger,

It corresponds to your front left and rights. When you sit in front of your tv, you have the front and rear left, and then the front and rear right. You can tell just by using Avia to set up your speakers. When Avia goes through the test tones you can hear it "sweep" from left to center to right to right surround then left surround.

Chris

Geno

Supporting Actor
let me add. when they label the speakers L and R, it is only for ease of installation. UNLESs they are angled speakers, If you cant tell by looking at the fronts which is L and which is R, then they can be swapped. But as far as wiring goes, Chris hit it on the head. you determine L&R from viewing/listening position.

Chris Lanni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christopher
Mazinger,

Avia is a calibration dvd so you can setup all of your Home Theater equipment. It has speaker test tones to ensure that all of your speakers are set to output the same decibels or volume. It also has test patterns on it for your television. Setup for contrast, brightness, tint, and color, etc. It retails for about 35 bucks. It is well worth it. I used it on all of my equipment.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks