What's new

Just got GameCube - itching to get XBOX now too, should I? (1 Viewer)

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
Well I've had Gamecube for a week and there are currently no games that I really look forward to playing everyday. I just pop a game in, get bored, pop another in get bored.... You get the picture.
Anyway I plan on keeping the GameCube as I do enjoy a lot of the games - but I haven't been overwhelmed by any games yet.
I keep reading about Halo and really want to play this - also I want DOA 3 since I loved DOA 2 on Dreamcast. Also I have a HDTV and 5.1 setup that I want to take full advantage of.
I have roughly $300 in Best Buy Gift Certs and 1 unopened GameCube game (SSX Tricky) so all told I see it as..
$300 Xbox
$40 Extra Controller
$20 HD A/V pak
$50 Halo
$50 DOA3
----
$460 + tax of course so about $500 total
So with the $300 in Gift Certs and a return of SSX I'd only be out about $150...
So this makes it really tempting. I just would hate to be disappointed if it didn't live up to my expectations though. The Gamecube is a keeper but didn't give me that thrill I had when I got the N64 on launch. I'm hoping XBOX + Halo = that thrill.
I was a huge fan of Half-Life and Unreal on the PC so I'm hoping that Halo would be right up my alley...
So am I being greedy thinking about going for 2 consoles? I guess some people have all 3 so it wouldn't be that bad! :)

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Get Amped instead of DOA3 (unless you have someone to play DOA3 2 player mode with). Amped rules.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Go for it! I got both at launch and while I really like both systems, the Xbox has held my interest much longer.

Dean

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Just check out the release list at Link Removed I'm a lot more excited about what's coming for Xbox. The release list for Gamecube in the coming year is disappointing to say the least. The fact that you have an HDTV and 5.1 digital surrond is a huge plus in favor of getting Xbox.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Ebworld had a deal just before X-mas (not sure if it's still going on) where you could get an X-Box, one game (Halo I think) and a controller for $387 (roughly) shipped. That's a great deal because you pay no taxes or shipping. Definitely, get an X-Box! Halo is amazing... I got both consoles for X-mas and besides RL II, nothing interests me about the GC just yet... I bought it for the potential though.

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
Well....

On the way home from work I did the deed...

Picked up XBOX

Extra Controller

HD AV Pak

Halo

Project Gotham Racing

DOA 3

SSX Tricky

Nothing is opened yet -

I started to have buyers remorse until I read all the comments here - now I'm all excited...

I had SSX Tricky for Gamecube unopened and traded it in for the XBOX version. I wasn't planning to get Gotham but it some how ended up in my hand!!!

I have the wife to play DOA3 with - we had fun with DOA 2 on DC so I'll probably keep.

I almost picked up Amped over Tricky... any suggestions here?

Well got some stuff to do then I'll hook up and report back later if I can take myself away long enough.

Oh, my wife asked about Grand Theft Auto 3 and if it was on XBOX... I think she'll kill me if I get PS2 next... She OK'd 2 systems but 3 would be pushing it!

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
GTA 3 is scheduled to come out in March. Save your money for March, a ton of good looking XBox titles are being released that month.

Amped is very simulation, moreso than Tony Hawk. SSX Trickey is very arcadey. Amped has deep gameplay, you will literally play it hours and hours before you start to get good at it, then it's very rewarding. You have to unlock a ton of mountains and it takes a lot of work.

SSX Trickey = instant gratification

Amped = fulfilling in the long run

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
Well a few hours of Halo later and so far no regrets...

I was smiling when I enabled 480P and 1080i then when I enabled DD 5.1 and DTS I was in heaven!

I was surpised how much bass Halo was pumping out on those explosions - the SVS was a rocking!

The other games got limited play so far so not much to say about them...

I better go Halo is calling me!!!

Oh and cool news about GTA3 on XBOX!

I thank you for all the input - though my wallet doesn't!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I suggest you keep SSX Tricky for GameCube, but still get the X-Box et al. I have heard some problems with SSX Tricky on the X-Box (mainly difficulty in using the triggers).

If I had the spare cash, I'd get a few games for PS2 and GameCube first, but if I had around $400 after that, I'd get an X-Box and a game or two.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Here are the March titles:

03/01/02: 2 Titles

Blood Omen 2

Shayde: Monsters vs Humans

03/05/02: 4 Titles

All Star Baseball 2002

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Knockout Kings 2002

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

03/12/02: 1 Title

Triple Play 2002

03/15/02: 8 Titles

Backpedal

Galleon

Grand Theft Auto 3

Hitman 2

House of the Dead 3

Hunter: The Reckoning

NBA 2K2

Race Nation

Sega GT 2002

03/19/02: 2 Titles

Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath Of Cortex

Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon

03/26/02: 2 Titles

ESPN MLS Extra Time 2002

Test Drive

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
Some more observations...

First March looks to be an expensive month!!!

Well I was up until 3 in the morning playing Project Gotham Racing... I never had the desire to stay up and play Gamecube like that yet!

I ripped a CD to the Hard Drive so I could listen to it while playing PGR - that was just too cool! It took a while to rip a whole CD though...

I did have a minor problem with my set up... I bought a used HD AV Pack for $10 where I got my XBOX and when I played some games the colors - especially the yellows looked very muted. This was most noticeable in SSX tricky where the yellow snow flakes looked gray and the orange looked brownish... Anyway I thought this was a trait of the XBOX...

So this morning I popped in SSX tricky again and my wife commented on how muted the colors seemed. So I searched for a Monster (I know I know) Video 2 Component cable I had and hooked this up...

Dear God! the colors jumped off the screen - I put in DOA 3 and was floored! The first time I was wondering what all the hype was about with this game - now I know - this game looks sweet! I guess there was some interference with the cables that came with the HD Pack.

Finally - is there any reason to get the memory cards for the controllers??? Is this only if I went over somebody's house and wanted to take data? If I don't need to do that everything will save to the Hard Drive - right? It looks like it has so far anyways....

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Jantzen, I think something was wrong with your HD pack. I don't know how 'used' yours was? but I get all of the great color and interference free video that you are describing from my HD pack.
Anyway, glad you got it up and running to your satisfaction :)
DOA 3 looks sweet don't it :D

Jantzen

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah the HD pack itself seems ok because when I swapped the component cables everything looked great...

I don't think that the standard ones are shielded that well or maybe the cables were defective and that's why someone traded them in. I thought about just getting a new pack but they were only $10 bucks instead of $20. I spent so much I don't know why I was worried about $10!

Anyway all looks great now.

Thanks for the info on the memory cards too...

Back to Halo...

Robert Standefer

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Gamecube with Super Smash Bros, Tony Hawk 3, Pikmin, and Rogue Squadron II and I much prefer it over Xbox *right now*. I'm just not interested in very many of the Xbox games outside of Halo. Plus, I've always been more of a Nintendo person and I never got into the PlayStation. I do love my Dreamcast though and I still buy games for it.

That being said, I plan to buy an Xbox when more of the PS2 titles I want hit that platform, namely GTA 3. I don't want to invest in a PS2 because I'm simply not impressed with the graphics quality, and I really want the 480P and 1080i features of the Xbox (Gamecube has 480P, but I'm waiting for Monster to release a decent component cable for 'Cube).

I hope you get to enjoy both the 'Cube and the Xbox for what they individually offer!

-Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks