What's new

Just got a Mits DD-8040 (questions) (1 Viewer)

JoeRiley

Stunt Coordinator
So far, I'm impressed with the picture quality. It even plays my incorrectly flagged dvds well.

But I am curious... if I made the jump to the Denon 1600, would I notice any difference? I'm not interested in DVD-Audio and all that stuff, I just want my DVD movies to look and sound the best possible.

I'd be willing to shell out the extra money for the Denon if you guys think it's any better then the Mits.

Thanks!

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I compared those models. The Denon DVD-1600 (and Panasonic RP82/XP30/XP50) have a flatter frequency response so have a much sharper picture. Also the Mitsubishi DD-8040 has the color flicker issue on the top and bottom edges of saturated color areas due to CSS=on, on the other models CSS=off. Since the Denon DVD-1600 is only about $50 more than the DD-8040, I think its worth it. However the DD-8040 has some features the Denon lacks, like auto-scaling of 4:3 titles to window-box for a 16:9 display.

Dan Mastro

Agent
i have the dd8040 too. i watch dvds on a 32" plasma, and the wife said "this is what a movie should look like". i recently purchased 6 interconnects for the 6 channel dvd-a discs, which sound great. i'm no expert, but satisfied with my purchase. just like cars, there's always one that looks better, costs more and you drool over. so i guess it's up to you. are you happy with it? if so keep it, if you have remorse, swap it out.
dan

JoeRiley

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice guys.

I am pretty impressed with the overall quality. But if I can get pretty close to the best for only $50 more, why not, right? :)

I did find the 1600 for $315 shipped online... so I might go with that.

Craig Thomas

Auditioning
I went from an older Sony player to the 8040 and am VERY impressed with the film-like quality the Mistubishi produces. Action scenes and fast pans are smooth. DCDi chip provides rich detail of video.

Discs take kind of long to load, and it's silver.

my 2 cents

Craig™

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
I just picked up a Mitsubishi last night. Which company makes it for Mitsubishi? I am asking because I want discreet codes to turn it on and off(and Remotecentral doesn't list this player).

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The Mitsubishi DD-8040 is suspiciously similar to the Denon DVD-1200. I suspect the same Chinese manufacturer makes both of them, the setup menus appear nearly identical. Try Denon codes.

Users who are viewing this thread