What's new

Just found a sd dvd that cannot be upconverted to 1080i through component (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so i just popped Game 6 into the xa1 and it will not upconvert using component.
in fact the player pops up a blue messgae saying high res output prohibited for this content.

i switched back and forth from the comp and the hdmi-dvi inputs and it would only play 1080i on the hdmi-dvi input.

when component it would automat just play the 480p version.

just thought it was odd.

btw the dvd in sd looks brutally bad, hd upcon not much better.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Right, this is not unusual. If it has copy protection (most SD-DVD titles do) it can not be upconverted via component.

If you make a copy of the disc first and remove copy protection, however, it can upconvert.

- Steve

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I guess I was under the impression that all movie DVDs couldn't be upconverted over component, which I though was odd since no one needs an A1 to copy DVDs...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i think thats only the ict thing when used.

dont take my word tho', no expert.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
This has absolutely nothing to do with ITC. ITC is only relevant to the high definition formats (HD DVD and BD).

There's a rule (not sure whose, the DVD forum maybe?) affecting standard definition DVD that does not allow DVDs to be upconverted over component on any upconverting DVD players (at least in the US). Upconversion is only allowed over a digital connection.

Yes, it is a very stupid rule. But there it is.

There are, however, players out there that don't obey this rule (mostly chinese players I believe).

The HD-A1 follows this rule just like most "big name brand" upconverting DVD payers.

I'd imagine that most future HD DVD and BD players will not allow upconversion of SD-DVD over component. However, this feature may be available when chinese players (or others) that don't obey the rule come out.

TedD

Supporting Actor
The DVD has to carry macrovision copy protection for this rule to be enforced. If you have copied a DVD and used any of the copy protection schemes that strip macrovision, you will not have a problem.

Not all comercial DVD's carry the macrovision copy protection signal, so some commercial DVD's can be upscaled over component.

Ted

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Most upscaling players (including xa1) does not upscale SD DVD via component. Usually it requires a firmware adjustment and in your case I don't think that exists yet.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Ah I did not realize it was the Macrovision bit. That would explain why some intros, trailers, etc. (presumably not protected by Macrovision), play at 1080i, then the player switches to 480p once the feature starts.

It also explains why discs I have authored play at 1080i.

Now if I could only figure out how to create some HD-DVD content.

- Steve

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Would any upconverting DVD player play 1080i through component if playing copied disc without Macrovision or do most still require HDMI?

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Something just occurred to me, so by definition we will have no HD signal with macrovision? If true, that's great!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

It depends on the player. Oppo, Zenith DVB318(via firmware upgrade) Momitsu are players that will upscale video 1080i via component. All others don't unless it's through the HDMI/DVI connection. I don't believe the disc has anything to do with being upscaled to 1080i this is a hardware function not a software.

TedD

Supporting Actor
Sorry, but you are mis-informed. As I stated in my previous post, the Macrovision copy protection flag in the software is what controls the hardware's ability to upscale over analog.

Some upscaling players have chosen to ignore the flag, but any DVD Forum compliant device cannot ignore it.

Even the newer video drivers for PC's will refuse to upscale DVD's that carry the macrovision flag if you are using the component video connection. However, they will upscale over DVI and VGA (computer standards based interface, not a video standards based interface).

Ted

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
I thought so. If it would have been a copy protection issue then I might have picked up a cheap upconverting player for my projector that doesn't have HDMI. I'm glad the XA1 does the upconversion over component as I am still using component to both my displays even with HDMI available. I will pick up a cable soon to see if it makes much difference.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
But ripping them to harddrive and playing without the Macrovision would enable 1080 output so I guess I'm on the clear. I just have to remember not to play copy protected discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks