What's new

Just bought "Poseidon Adventure", Should I return it? (1 Viewer)

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Picked up The Poseidon Adventure at Wal-Mart today for $5.88. While I like the film a lot and couldn't beat the price with a stick, I came home and did a search for it on the HTF.

Now I almost feel like I should return it:

*Non-anamorphic
*lackluster transfer (according to the results I found here)
*no real extras outside of a trailer
*rumored SE possibly on the horizon

Should I keep it? For $5.88, it's almost like a rental that I don't have to return.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
If you are SO poor that your can't afford $5.88, then most definately return the film.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Well if you like the movie a lot keep it. Like Jeff said, $5.88 is peanuts these days. If it's just too much, maybe return it and see you can get it cheaper online. Who knows, you might get it for $5.87. ;)

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
The dilemna isn't the $5.88 pricetag, it's the question of whether or not I should add to my collection with substandard (debatable) product at any price?

Does anyone own a crappy transfer of a movie just because they like the film and/or it is the only way it's available?

Edward Brand

Agent
Hi Nathan,

Besides being non-anamorphic, I think the transfer is quite good. I used to have the laser disc of this movie. The dvd is a substantial improvement over it. I would keep it if I were you. --Edward

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I recommend you keep it.

Don't forget that in the last Fox chat it was stated that there are no current plans for a re-do of this title on DVD.

Beyond that, I paid $24.99 for my copy long before the markdown, and my wife the ultra-fan doesn't regret it, and I the ultra-picky collector don't really regret it.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. it's a good transfer (in mono, the original was released in 70mm 6-track stereo (actually 4-track "spread"/faked up to 6 Todd-AO format tracks). But still! Remember, MOST theatres showed the film in optic mono anyway (the way I saw it. Studios were stingy when making mag stereo prints in this era). I've seen FAR worse transfers than this. I also picked up TOWERING INFERNO in the same Walmart bin (OK, the Adam West BATMAN, too!) At those prices, go for it.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Keep it, $5.88 for that movie?!?!? YOU CAN'T GO WRONG!!!

"MY LINDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!"

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a pretty bland disc. The transfer's decent but not great - I gave it a "B" when I watched it recently - but the audio's quite poor. Still, for $5.88, it's worth it, especially since it's such a hassle to have to return anything at Wal-Mart - the return lines are always enormous there!

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
I picked Poseidon up this week for the 5.88 price, too. I loved the movie as a kid and still enjoy watching it. Even barebones and not OAR, I figured....for 5.88, how can I really go wrong? Surely I'll get that much use out of it. Also grabbed Freeway for the same amazing price.

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoy the film and I was happy to finally see it in its OAR after buying it for $5.88 last month. I'll probably have a 4:3 set that's unable to do the "anamorphic squeeze" for many more years, so non-anamorphic transfers currently don't worry me too much.

If you want to save $5.88, keep away from the title Millennium that's in the bins at Wal-Mart...

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone own a crappy transfer of a movie just because they like the film and/or it is the only way it's available
I bougth A Fistful of Dollars and A Few Dollars More today for $6.00 each. I already had the Good the Bad and the Ugly. Until some better editions come out, these will have to do.

But then again, I am really not picky.

--
Holadem

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I picked up Rocky II at Wal-Mart this week for 8 bucks ... and was *shocked* to discover that the transfer was non-anamorphic and fairly grainy in places. But since I had purchased the original Rocky SE a year ago, and didn't want to go with the whole five movie box set, I was still happy to add this to my collection.

Look at this way: most DVD's, even non-anamorphic DVD's, are at least as good as their LD counterparts. So, at these prices, how can you possibly go wrong?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
If you want to save $5.88, keep away from the title Millennium that's in the bins at Wal-Mart...
For whatever reason this is one of my wive's favorite movies (as is Poseidon Adv.). It's not something I enjoy watching, but I wouldn't tell someone who's a fan of the film to skip it for $5.88.

Blind purchasers, OTOH, might at least want to check out reviews and see if something in the bin is up their alley. On the third hand, though, for $5.88 it's not much more than a rental and you can always trade it in used or give it to a friend if you think it sucks.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I don't know of many stores that will let you return an opened DVD for your money back. Usually they will just trade for the same title if it's a defective disc.

Ric

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Since it's the only version available and it's one of your favorite films, I'd say keep it and enjoy it for now. You can always dump it for a few bucks (via eBay or some other method) if a special edition comes out.

Yesterday, I sold my Front Row Entertainment public domain edition of ZULU for $3 at a local store that specializes in used movies. I received the new MGM anamorphic version from bestbuy.com (where it was on sale for $6), so the upgrade cost me $3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks