What's new

just bought onkyo 809 and... (1 Viewer)

the chosen one

Auditioning
Real Name
casey
Hello all.I'm new here. I just built me a 21x13 dedicated home theater. I'm running 7.1 and decided to step up to a more expensive AV receiver. I seen the onkyo 809 for $670 on Amazon. It said it was a $1100 receiver so I bought it. Long story short it sounds and looks great. But the auddsey auto system will not work. Keeps getting stuck saying please wait now measuring and when I flip from input to input or channel to channel there is a 10 second delay for picture. I have sent it back and now I don't know what to buy. I've got a budget of $1200. I don't need the multiple room option. I just want the best bang for the buck that's not problematic. My speakers are rated at 100 watts. I would like to pull the trigger this week on one so your help would be greatly appreciated. Onkyo, pioneer, Yamaha, demon?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How long did you give the Audyssey?
It isn't like it does it in 10 seconds.
My 707 takes around 5-10 seconds per channel flip cause I have my Directv set to send native, the AVR "through" and the TV to accept whatever is sent(mine can display all resolutions natively)...so when I switch from 720P to 1080I programs...it takes a few seconds for the Directv to decipher the resolution...then it takes another few seconds for the TV to react.
So...Apparently you don't want Audyssey again, cause it didn't work for you.
Pioneer/Elite has MCACC
HK has EZSet
Yamaha has YPAO
Sony has whatever they got
Sherwood NewCastle has Trinnov
Anthem has ARC(not to be confused with Auto Return Channel)
NAD uses Audyssey, so they are out...

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Onkyo is usually the bast bang for the buck. You may have gotten a bad one. It happens with all brands. I'd stick with the onkyos, one more time. If another is a problem too, them go with another brand. Then I'd go with a Denon. Denons tend to not be quite as user friendly as Onkyos.
If with another Onkyo, or Denon, the Audyssey hangs up again, double check the polarity of your connections to the speakers (if the gold colored side of speaker wire is connected to the + side of receiver connection, make sure the gold side is connected to the + side on the speaker too). The + and - sides must be the same at the receiver and speaker ends. I've read that it can cause your kind of problem, if the wires aren't connected right.
Also, the Audyssey works best if the calibration mic is at ear level, in the seating position, pointed straight up. Don't point at speakers. I use a 7.1 setup, with an Onkyo receiver, and the Audyssey did a great job of calibrating. Other folks will probably tell you the Onkyos get very hot, so you should change brands, to the brand they're using. :) As long as you have the receiver sitting where it gets good air flow, it should be ok. My Onkyo 805 doesn't get hot at all, because it gets good air flow. If you must close it in, as in an entertainment center, see if you can have a fan blowing towards it, when it's in use (if it gets hot). I think they are worth the little bit of extra consideration, if extra consideration is needed.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

the chosen one

Auditioning
Real Name
casey
Thank you for the quick response. I would like to stick with onkyo just worried it will run out of warranty that Amazon offers and quit leaving me with a huge paper weight. The same receiver I just bought 30 days ago dropped $180. I might go back one more time. The mic would stick on the first speaker. I let it sit for 1 hour and it was still stuck. It worked a couple times. I Checked all the cables and made sure they was right.the HDMI wasn't that bad of an issue but as I did research I found out about the HDMI problems onkyo was having. So the price drop, the mic inop, and the slow switching made me send it back.

the chosen one

Auditioning
Real Name
casey
Good to know, I knew I had 60 days to return it back to Amazon. But I had heard the manufacturers would not Warranty if you didn't buy it from a reputable dealer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.