What's new

Just bought a Toshiba 34HFX83! (1 Viewer)

Michael_Q

Stunt Coordinator
After a couple months of research and deliberation, I decided to go for a Toshiba 34HFX83. I bought it at a Video Only store in the Seattle area, and got a pretty good deal after negotiating with the salesman--I got him to knock about $210 off of the sticker price.

I spent most of yesterday watching DVDs and playing Gamecube in progressive scan. I started with a few scenes from Attack of the Clones, and then watched all of Finding Nemo.

I am absolutely thrilled with this TV!! The clarity and detail is spectacular, in fact just about as good as any direct-view on the market, with the possible exception of the XBR910. I just can't get enough of it! I want to watch my entire DVD collection over and over--it's like watching new movies.

I would say the colors maybe aren't quite as vibrant as the Sony models, but the overall quality of the picture is amazing.

It has a ton of great little features, such as the ability to save picture settings for each video input. I had read up on the 540p/1080i setting that the Toshibas have, but what I didn't realize is that this setting goes in to effect ONLY for 480p signals.

Anyhow, I need to go watch some more DVDs. I would say that this model, along with the non-Cinema Series Toshiba, is probably the best combination of quality and price when it comes to 34" direct views. I would be happy to answer any questions if there are others looking at this set.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
For people who might not be using the set with a receiver (God Forbid :) ) how's the sound quality on the set?

Michael_Q

Stunt Coordinator
The sound seems fairly impressive, from what I can tell (I do have a DD setup, so I'm not using the tv for sound all the time). There are a couple of virtual surround options, one called something like Virtual Dolby Surround and the other called WOW or some similar name. I have used the Virtual Dolby and it makes a big difference.

Also, there is an enhanced bass mode that puts out a good solid level of bass, almost as though there is a small subwoofer.

You can use the TV's speakers as the center channel if you have any kind of surround setup.

Hope this helps.

Michael_Q

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen it display 4:3 on Gamecube games only, since I don't have it hooked up to the cable yet. So, I can't comment on picture quality for low quality signals.

There are a couple of stretch/zoom options that look pretty good, but I prefer to leave everything in its original aspect ratio. It displays GRAY bars on the sides for 4:3 programming. I guess black probably would be a little more attractive, but the gray doesn't bother me.

You can stretch 4:3 to fill the whole screen, or you can use a few zoom options that will cut off some of the picture at the top and bottom but do a better job of preserving the natural width. I believe there are 5 total choices for "picture size" in the menu.

The gray bars reveal a little bit of a "bowing" effect, but it's only a very minor issue as far as geometry problems go. I may figure out how to use the service menu and fix it later.

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
My 13 year old Hitachi RPTV died suddenly on 6/2/04. On 6/3/04 I ordered the 34HFX83. It's supposed to be delivered today. Hope it's as good as you say.
-------------------------------------------------------
The set came. So far I've only watched regular tv shows on it. Making adjustments and getting to know the set. I've only been using the internal speakers for this. I will use my 5.1 system when I start watching DVD's. It sound fine.
I've been using Wide 1 to fill the screen on 4:3 images. It looks good. Only images on sides get slightly distorted. The one wierd thing I've noticed is that in this mode all the stations work fine with the exception of my pay channels - HBO and Showtime. For some reason there is a gap at the left side of the screen so I have to switch to Wide 2 or Wide 3. Don't understand why this happens.

Clayton Jr

Grip
I bought the same set at the same place (Video Only in Tukwila).
Congratulations! It is indeed a great piece of gear. I couldn't be happier with it.

I bought an xbox to take full advantage of gaming on this television. Very impressive.

As for sound, it's not very impressive. I used the televisions internal speakers for awhile while waiting for my new receiver to show up. It's usable, and since it has an internal subwoofer, it's better than many on-board speaker systems. No match for a dedicated surround setup, though.

On the other hand, I have been using the television's own speakers as my center channel (a great Toshiba feature). As I said, the TV's speakers can't compete with a surround system, but when given just the job of reproducing the center channel, it does quite nicely. I definitely recommend this configuration.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'd, however, advise against using any display's internal speakers as a center-channel unit. This is a nice set, though. Very nice.

Greg Walker

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking at this set but have read on another forum of people having a problem with a horizontal twitch when viewing HD signals. Has anyone here noticed that problem?

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
I do not mean to hijack your thread, but my questions seems to fit in well.

Does anybody have any experience comparing the 34HFX83 and the 34HF83?

Spec and feature wise they seem very similar, but there is a considerable price difference.

HFX

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.gr...uct=2250&lg=en

HF

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.gr...uct=2152&lg=en

Only notable difference I can see in the spec comparison is that the HFX has a "SuperWide Band Video Amplifier (30MHz)" vs the HF only having "Wide Band Video Amplifier." (there is also a simulated DD sound option, which is not important to me)

Thanks!

Steven:B

Auditioning
I have read good reviews on the Toshiba. Many stores are out of them. Guess they are waiting for whatever model Toshiba comes out with in 2004 in 34" wide-screen.

One online store on the West Coast has 4 in stock though and I think I can get it with shipping to NH for $1628.00

I am nervous about shipping.

I wonder if I should wait for the new model, or get this one everyone says is so good. No guarentee it's replacement will be the same or better.

Can I asked what you guys paid?

Thanks

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Scott, the other differences are:

56 key back lit A/V remote
Virtual Dolby Surround Sound
Controllable SVM and the amplifier difference you noted.

The remote is better and useful. THe Virtual Dolby Surround is border line at best and the controllable SVM is nice but can be achieved on the HF83 by choosing cinema versus video on one of the settings.

Since the difference in Canada is only $100 CAD I got the HFX83. I've had it for 10 days now and it is impressive in progressive scan with my RP91.

I'm contemplating getting a HDTV cable box soon to take advantage of the 1080i capabilities.

Got a killer deal at $1775 Canadian and $99 for the stand.

Patrick

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Patrick,

Thanks for outlining the differences, it is quite helpful.

You seem to have gotten a killer deal, from the retailers I've looked at, they want $1999 CAD for the HF, and I've yet to find a HFX locally.

Then again, you are also in a major center, where as I am off in the "boonies", relatively speaking, so hopefully I can find somebody with more competitive pricing. :)

Kirk Patrick

Stunt Coordinator
this set has been dropped to $1799 at A and B Sound here in Victoria

i still prefer the Sony 910 but i think it is considerably more

i am a dvd watcher only so i hope the differences will be less noticeable with the toshiba

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.