What's new

Just bought a McIntosh MAC-3, pros/cons? (1 Viewer)

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Couldn't pass the deal up. ($560) I know it dosen't have all the bells and whistles, I've just always liked the brand and the preamp I sold awhile back. If I don't like it, I can allways sell it.

Mac- 3 w/ Adcom 7000, and Adcom 555 sub amp.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Mac-3? I imagine that you are talking about McIntosh but I cant recall a model 3.

let me know

-rob

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
It's a processor that's an add on for thier other dolby pro-logic units. It can also be a stand alone pre-amp. I figure heck, all I'm using now is the digital cable so a ton of inputs is a waste anyway. It does have coax and optical inputs for CD, sat, ld, DVD and only one analog input. It's alot smaller than the C-39. It's also not the newest model, that's a MSD-4.

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
You're right Rodney, no DTS. I bought this thing because my Adcom GTP 550 lost it's pro-logic seperation, but otherwise works on all other functions, this crap is going to be demoted to stereo garage duty. :) Estimate on repair the Adcom was $375 and it's only pro-logic.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Meaux,
Great to see someone take quality over quantity. I will ask you in a couple of months if you miss or feel the need for DTS. I bet I know the answer:)
Great acquisition
-rob

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Well Rob, I look at it this way, I can't miss what I never had (DTS). It'll be a step up from the Adcom anyway. I've been kickin myself since I sold my last McIntosh preamp.

Even if I don't like it, I can allways sell it without taking a whuppin. :) Like you said "quality".

Heck, I have 2 Porsches I don't even drive, just can't bring myself to sell em'.

Lazy bum who lives off his wife.

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Rob,
Yeah, she's got a sister allright, (lawyer) but she's been taken by another Lazy Bum. He's a lawyer thats to lazy to work. Go figure, at least I have an excuse, I'm not a "professional" person. :)

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
""Heck, I have 2 Porsches I don't even drive, just can't bring myself to sell em'.""

OK, lets make a deal, I will purchase a plan ticket, fly out, get a taxi to take me to your house, I will give a secret knock and you say "come-in" after than all you have to do is say "the keys are on the counter", and I can drive away in the Porsche. You wouldn't even need to get off your lazy-boy. How is that for a favor for ya??

Meaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Meaux
Mac-3 report:

I'm as tickled as a pig in you know what. DTS? I don't care, this thing is so much more defined (in Dolby Pro-Logic no less) than the Adcom crap I've been used to, and I haven't recieved my Toshiba SD4800 yet. It should really be nice on Dolby Digital.

On the 7th. day GOD made Rolex, Porsches, and McIntosh. Life is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks