What's new

Just became an Uncle/Godfather - need suggestions for baptism gift (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, my brother and sister-in-law just had a baby boy this past Monday and I became an Uncle and a Godfather is one night. LOL

With the Baptism coming up within the next month or so, I was thinking that I wanted to do something 'special', but I have no idea what. I want the gift to be somewhat practical, yet very unique. That's my problem - I can't find anything that's both unique and practical.

Example: On the unique side, I saw a baby silver spoon and fork at Tiffany's and I was going to have them engraved, but my mom thought that if I was going to spend $300, that I should probably use it for something more practical.

She suggested a bond, but that's not as unique....

I want this gift to stand out since not only is this my families first grandchild (they ain't gettin' any from me ;)), but also being the Godfather, I feel I should do something really big.

Any ideas? Any Godparents out there??

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
An awesome present in my opinion, would be a stock, or savings bond.

shows your devoted to the kids future and not his childhood eating. lol

my sons godfather bought him a 50 savings bond.
I think a stock would be really cool though. After 18 years..........
CONGRATS !

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, the Brit take on these things is that a baptismal gift should be something that will last and take on heirloom status. Thus, if something immediately suitable for an infant is chosen, it must have longevity and be made of something valuable (e.g. a rattle in silver) - and is unlikely ever to be used for its ostensible purpose. Mostly, a gift is chosen that can (if used) be used throughout life, such as a napkin ring in a precious metal. The gift, at least in the UK, does not have to be fabulously expensive, though obviously something costing the same as a candy bar is not likely to win you any friends. I know of some folks who give stocks or similar, but it's considered appropriate in those cases to give a very modest tangible product *as well*.

The key thing that should be remembered is that you remain a Godfather for life, and (in the UK anyway) will be expected to give a birthday present each year until the kid reaches 18 (yes, I know that you're likely to do that as an uncle anyway). I don't know how religious you or the child's parents are, but pedantically, you should also send a small, purely religious gift on the anniversary of the baptism (e.g. start off with Bible stories for kids and work up to teen-oriented works) - again, until the child reaches 18. If the child turns out not to be religious and you are, then a more spiritual or philosophical gift might be substituted.

Sorry if all this sounds po-faced, it's not meant to be. My children's Godparents are the wife of a vicar (i.e. Anglican minister) and a lay preacher in the Church of England. I can honestly claim that they've been marvellous and not in the least 'pious' (or rather, only in the very best meaning of the term).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
andrew, those are very good suggestions - thanks.

I feel the same way you do (i.e. the gift should be of value) which is why I thought the silver spoon would be perfect, but (obviously) most people that I know are more about "Give me something I can use!!" and don't often see the real value in a gift like a silver spoon. My brother would probably go "So what do I do with this???" :rolleyes:and totally miss the meaning behind it.

I liked the connection between "Precious Baby" and "Precious Metal", but again, I think my generosity may be lost on someone who is more about "I'd rather have the cash that you spent on the spoon". :frowning:

That's why I hate the savings bond route, but I (most likely) will have to go that way.

And thanks for the idea about the anniversary of the baptism. I guess if I have to go with the bond, I can always do something more unique next year.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Just an idea, but one which has served me well over the years...

I collect bullion (gold, silver, and platinum), in various forms, including coins.

That being the case, I also take joy in giving bullion (coins being the most convenient form) as gifts for certain individuals and occasions.

If you want to go expensive, gold is great. (Platinum even more so, of course. Silver, much, much less so.)

Gold coins (my personal favorite) are available in various sizes and values: 1/10 ounce, 1/4 ounce, 1/2 ounce, and 1 full ounce (with appropriate price and value tiers, of course).

For annual gift-giving, I obtain year-specific coins. If you'd like to start out with a larger gift to mark the original event, begin the tradition with a larger coin, then continue with smaller coins for the subsequent annual events. The different sizes offer great flexibility, allowing you to match the size/value to the "specialness" of the occasion, and the "tradition" means you never have to think about what to give for any upcoming occasion...just make sure you get your hands on a year-specific coin in time for each event.

It's a way to start a wonderful tradition, with gifts of both current and (increasing) future value. Precious metals have genuine real-world intrinsic value, and are great investents. Easily liquidated if circumstances truly dictate such action, but unique enough, and with enough of a "treasure trove stash" mystique and aura that the recipient is much more likely to hold onto them, just because it feels great knowing that one has some of the real stuff on hand. (Safety deposit boxes definitely recommended!) That same mystique also turns what is essentially a "cold hard cash" gift into something much more interesting, and very tangible, while still acting as a long-term investment item. Much more alluring than a paper bond or stock certificate, and, over time, likely to have a very comparable growth in actual value.

There are so many different forms of bullion coins, you can even vary with each occasion to add a small element of surprise to the traditional gifts. (Although I've never known anyone to get bored or disappointed from knowing upfront that they'll be receiving a gift of gold...again. :) )

Here are a couple of places to start:

http://tinyurl.com/yycaws

http://www.onlygold.com/

http://www.onlygold.com/TutorialPage...ince1972FS.htm

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Traditionally, godparents are tasked with seeing to it that the parents are properly seeing to the child's religious eductation. If your family is religious and traditional, a bible (children's and/or adult) and a prayer book for your denomination are very appropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks