Just another day (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That you'll never forget!
http://i.engadget.com/2010/11/15/apple-says-tomorrow-is-just-another-day-that-youll-never-forge/
"that's a bold statement!"

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My guess: nothing of note, in any case.

Online announcement only. So it's not earthshaking. If it's iOS 4.2...*yawn*

If it's The Beatles...*yawn*

If it's a trap...*ya

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The thing is this has completely come out of nowhere. Nobody thought Apple would announce ANYTHING new until January. Even DF says he's got 'Zilch'
http://daringfireball.net/linked/2010/11/15/itunes-teaser

Streaming, Beatles, 4.2 are any of these unforgettable?

I say no. So it has to be something REALLY big cause Apple usually underpromises and over delivers pre-announcing things.

And you are telling me they are going to have an unforgettable day announced by a press release? I don't think so. Will there be a live stream of Apple announcing whatever with NO PRESS there? Maybe. Pretty wild.

In my estimation there have been a lot of exciting days at Apple but only FOUR that are unforgettable

1984 intro of the Mac, the iPod unveiling (less space than a nomad, no wireless, lame --cmdrtaco) the iPhone unveiling and the iPad unveiling. And tomorrow is going to meet or beat those? Color me interested!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm confused: did this appear yesterday or today? I was thinking the announcement was for today and is quite overdue. But I guess Apple does its thing on Tuesdays, so we'll know more tomorrow.

Apple's current modus operandi is to have onsite press with live demos to follow for a major announcement. I won't try to interpret this. It might be "OS X 10.6.5.1 is out" or it might be "Behold our manned Mars Base!!!", streaming live video thanks to our new NC data center. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Streaming is getting some thumbs down?
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/15/apple-not-likely-to-introduce-cloud-based-or-subscription-itunes-tomorrow/

And then there is this clue:
http://shauninman.com/tmp/helped.png

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

And then there is this clue:
http://shauninman.com/tmp/helped.png
Wow, could that really be a coincidence? Maybe a McCartney song title (Another Day) as having a Beatles title in there would be too obvious.

So Beatles + 4.2 + ???? FCC/WSJ point to an NBC TV deal if they want the Comcast merger to go through.

Streaming (in the conventional sense) isn't happening because this is clearly a worldwide announcement and there is no way Apple could get record companies signed up in 70+ countries (how many is iTunes in, currently?) without the news leaking out weeks or months ago.

Maybe you will be able to stream your own iTunes library to all your devices (other computers with same iTunes ID plus all synched iDevices?).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Beatles seems pretty reasonable. Can be announced online. It's iTunes. And it's a big deal to Beatles fans.

But an Ackbar-ian trap would be more fun.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
WSJ says it's the Beatles.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703326204575617004052395816.html?mod=e2tw
The details of the agreement have been updated twice, but they have apparently also settled all lawsuits, access to back catalogs, and several "unreleased" studio tracks as well as covers MAY appear on iTunes.
What is not uncertain is apparently the payday; Yoko Ono, by all reports, was the hold out who demanded a large sum settlement beforehand, and if sources WSJ and others site are correct, she got it.
So, that clears the way for Beatles on iTunes.
Sorry, even as a nuts Beatles fan: YAWN. Give me the Beatles on Vinyl, thank you.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Still not enough of a bit of news to compare to the most momentous of Apple news days that you will remember forever. Has to be more than that.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It's up on Apple's site now.
I haven't looked too closely yet at the Beatles offerings, but the live concert footage looks like something unique assuming you already have the Remastered CD set and Beatles Mono box set.
Nice to see Jobs and Yoko and or Apple Records worked it out with Apple Computer.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
November 16, 2010, a date which will live in infamy...

Single albums are $12.99, double albums are $19.99, individual tracks are $1.29. All albums from the 2009 and 2010 remasters are included. The video documentaries of the 2009 issues, which were supposed to be limited edition, are included.

Live at the Washington Coliseum, a 41-minute video, is exclusive to the all-inclusive Beatles Box Set and can be streamed in its entirety at apple.com.

There's nothing for me to buy here, since I've already got everything on CD, and then some. But I am glad that the catalog is on iTunes now...I'll bet that single sales are through the roof.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Agreed Steve, I also own everything already!

I have not checked the file sizes for the songs, but the only other thing they could have been cool is sell the FLAC files that Apple Corps was selling on that unique Apple USB drive. Now that would have been cool.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Originally Posted by DaveF
I guess I'm not a True Music Lover, because I've got no interest in buying beatles music.
I am not sure if a Beatles fan would be interested either. I mean, at this point, wouldn't they already have all the Beatles music that they wanted? This may be Apple's "jump the shark" moment.

-Keith

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The $150 for the box set isn't bad, saves $45 over the individual releases. Like Steve, I've already bought all this music several times (including both of last year's boxes) and I've already ripped the remasters to my iTunes library. So, no sales here but it's a good thing this catalog is finally available on iTunes.

I know some will be disappointed that the mono versions of the first several albums aren't available. Seems like a no-brainer to me that they should be there.

Ok, when is ACDC coming to iTunes?

Isn't the holdup with AC/DC the band themselves?? I think I've read they don't want the tracks sold individually - remember, this is a band that has never released a greatest hits or "best of" compilation despite the fact that such a release would undoubtedly sell in massive numbers. I guess that's a good strategy as they have consistently been among the top album sellers over the past couple of decades (behind just the Beatles and Pink Floyd, I believe). I'm not the biggest AC/DC fan but I like several of their songs, and last year I gave up waiting on a compilation or iTunes release and bought a number of their albums on CD. After all, no rock collection is really complete without "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap".

Other notable artists that are still iTunes holdouts include (if I'm not mistaken) Bob Seger, Tool, and Kid Rock.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think the problem is most of us who want this already have all of this content.. and more, and we have it in a format that is lossless. Some of us have a lot of this in Vinyl. And those are collectable treasures. So buying again isn't likely as we're buying in a (sorry) inferior format quality wise.
There are some artists who I think have done something that would keep me buying. Look at Tori Amos and Simon & Garfunkel; both of those have released bootlegs to iTunes; recordings of live performances in different locations where they are known to make changes, talk to the crowd, etc.
Look, if tomorrow iTunes announced "ITunes Bootlegs" And offered up (for a fee to the artist) bootlegs of several artists, I might go into the poor house. Offer me something I can't get anywhere else. That's where iTunes could step in.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll quote Ars in agreement with you:

The availability of Beatles music legally online exclusively through the iTunes Store is no doubt a coup for Apple. But who—aside from Apple and a handful of industry pundits—has been holding off on acquiring The Beatles' catalog until they could purchase it via digital download? Most of us ripped our Beatles CD collections ages ago.

As for AC/DC -- Apple has long allowed album-only sales. That wouldn't be a hold up on their music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks