What's new

Just about ready to get into my TV's service menu... (1 Viewer)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
I have a 32" Toshiba 32A42 set and the overscan is pretty bad. I want to calibrate the overscan using Avia.

I also want to find out if my set can do the "squeeze trick," which I've heard many sets can do via the service menu.

How hard is this? I've heard I'll need to write all the settings down or else I could seriously screw up the picture. I've also heard I should be able to find the code to enter the s.m. online.

Should I attempt to do this? Would anyone like to help (or discourage me from trying :D)?

Much thanks.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Jim,

it's good that you already know to write everything down before making any changes, so I won't lecture you on that.

Still though Proceed with Caution! I was scared shitless the first time I tried it, I thought for sure I would ruin my tv! :)

However, once you've gotten the codes and have studied the procedure or have them handy when you try it, it's not really that hard to navigate and manipulate the SM, especially after that first time, it gets easier and almost routine to go in and do a little tweaking from time to time.

Just as long as you know what settings your looking for and how they're labled. Also using AVIA will make things MUCH easier if you want to correct geometry errors etc.

I've always said that a new tv is nothing more than a hunk of raw clay that must be molded into a great HT monitor, the service menu is an invaluable tool...if you know what your doing. My last tv before getting my 16x9 was a 27" Sony WEGA that had it's problem's when I first got it. It had a bad red push and pretty bad overscan. But by the time I sold it three years later, I had that bad boy SINGING because of the SM work I did on it.

Just a little inspirational story to help you along. :)

Good luck, and be careful. :)

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
I have the previous model Toshiba 32A41. If it is the same for the 32A42 then you get into the service menu by putting TV on mute with the remote, then press mute on the remote and menu button on the TV at the same time and an "S" will appear on the TV. From there you press channel up/down on remote to go to the different settings, and volume up/down to change the settings. Once your settings are done you need to turn the TV off and on again.

I found instructions on the net to do the "squeeze" on my TV. The only thing that I can't figure out is that I have a bit of white space on the bottom black bar and I don't know how to get rid of it. It is a liitle distracting, I put up with it to get the more detailed picture but when company is watching I don't do the squeeze because they complain that it is too distracting. I printed out the directions but it was a long time ago and I can't find the site that I used right now.

WARNING - DO NOT DO ANYTHING UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Although the warnings sound scary it is necessary because if you do not go slowly and record your original settings then you have permanently f*cked up your TV. But if you are careful it really is not that scary after you have done it a couple of times.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Though if I actually brought a technician in he would know the correct settings, right? It would be "permanent" only until I could find out the orig. settings, right? Or am I missing something.

Thanks again, all!

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
Jim

A technician will not, repeat will not know what your original settings were. I've heard of two TV's of the same model having different settings. Do not depend on a technician to be able to restore your TV's original settings.

I can try to locate the site that I used and post it for you but I don't know when I'll be able to post the info for you. It was at least a year ago when I printed a hard copy for myself so it will take some time for me to try and find it.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Barry. I'll heed your warnings!

I pretty much just want to adjust my set's overscan and maybe find out about the "squeeze trick" at this point. According to Avia, my colors, etc. are pretty good.

Any help or links you can give me would be appreciated! I'm thinking of ordering a service manual for my set. Would this be helpful?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
be sure to visit hometheaterspot.com too - lots of info on tweaking tv's there.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It would be "permanent" only until I could find out the orig. settings, right? Or am I missing something.
Yes, unfortunately you are. On some TV's there are a few menue settings that will destroy your TV if set totally wrong.

Cees

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Oooookey, dokey... Maybe I'll just learn to live with it! :D

"Hmmmm, I wonder what this menu's for: 'self destruct'?"

Seriously, once I get into the menu, will it tell me how to navigate and what each screen is for? This is why I'm thinking I need a service manual.

Also, as someone stated above, to exit the service menu do I merely turn the TV off?

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Barry, the first link Cees provided me had this to say:

"Once VUSN is set to 1 you will probably notice a thin white line across the display at the edge of the video area. To eliminate this distracting line you will need to use the SCRL and or the VPOS service mode items to move the picture up just until the white line is no longer viewable."

Sounds like this might be the problem you're having.

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
Jim

Sorry but I have not yet had the spare time to find the web site that I used. I've got a lot of things on my plate and I've been unable to get to it yet.

About the white space problem, thanks for the post. I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Jim,

Also, as someone stated above, to exit the service menu do I merely turn the TV off?
On some menues there's an explicit "Exit", on some you have to set the TV off.

Don't worry too much about those "dangerous" settings, just read very carefully and watch what you're doing. If you see a setting you don't understand, leave it as it is by all means.

Many have done it before you! Good luck!

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Jim,

On some menues there's an explicit "Exit", on some you have to turn the TV off.

Don't worry too much about those "dangerous" settings, just read very carefully and watch what you're doing. If you see a setting you don't understand, leave it as it is by all means.

Many have done it before you! Good luck!

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks