Jury awards ex-smoker $28 billion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MickeS, Oct 4, 2002.

1. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Yes, that's 28,000 million dollars.
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/817143.asp
    Of course it'll be appealed, and probably reduced substantially. But who knows, she might get it.
    /Mike

2. FredHD

FredHD Stunt Coordinator

Good, suck 'em dry.

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

All I know is, if I was in the tobacco business I'd get a little worried about the future. [​IMG]

4. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

No wonder my Phillip Morris stock got hammered today.

On the one hand, Phillip Morris looks like an unbelievably good stock to own. Its P/E ratio is 9 and its dividend yield is 7%.

On the other hand, if you get enough juries to hand out verdicts such as the one today, it could get ugly.

5. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I love the conflicting statements between the tobacco companies and their own lawyers:
    Company: "Cigarettes aren't dangerous!" (Or something like that)
    Lawyer after verdict: "This jury should have focused on what the plaintiff knew about the health risks of smoking, and whether anything the company ever said or did improperly influenced her decision to smoke or not to quit,"

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Frivolous BS, she should get nothing. I don't care what cigarette smokers put in their ads. Anyone with any common sense knows that smoking is bad.
    She made all the choices to get cancer, no one forced her to smoke.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

7. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Summed up my feelings perfectly Ron. I am not a fan of cigarette companies at all, but you really gotta be lacking common sense if after your first three cigarettes, you aren't convinced they are bad for you.

Bruce

8. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Insanity

9. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Yup Ron, thats exactly what I think also. What about all us non-smokers who have to put up with the trash and second hand smoke that the smokers are producing? Can I sue them?

10. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Ron..the more I read what you post here....the more I wish you lived closer! Common sense prevails!!!!!

11. Maurice McCone

Maurice McCone Stunt Coordinator

I am totally against smoking, I have never smoked myself. But I do not support these ridiculous court cases.

There can surely be no-one who is unaware of the dangers of smoking?

I like that idea that non smokers who know this lady should sue her for her secondary smoke polluting their environment.

I have also heard that there is a case going thru the courts of a man suing MacDonalds for making him overwieght, there has to be a way of stopping these cases, we have them over in Britain now as well.

You can just see the fuss this guy would have made if MacDonalds had refused to serve him a Big Mac, as he was obese !

I wish people would take some responsibility for their own behaviour.

12. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

13. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I agree that this is complete BS. I can understand the states suing the tobacco companies to recover Medicare/etc. costs. That seems reasonable and makes sense. But these individual lawsuits are just plain silly...

14. Rob Longmore

Rob Longmore Stunt Coordinator

I feel that everyone who sues someone, over something THEY have control over, should be locked up FOR LIFE!! she made the choice to smoke! and now by sueing, she has admited she no longer wants responsablility for her own life, and if YOUR not responsable for your life, then you should not have one!

SHE decided to smoke! NO one forced her! SHE knew the risks! she paid the price of HER decision! no one should be responsable except her! what a fu#ked up world we live in!

15. CarlS

CarlS Stunt Coordinator

Monster verdicts like this never stand up to appeal.

16. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

17. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

[​IMG]
    Pretty much how I fell when I hear about these DA lawsuits. Did't the Constitution give us a right to a speedy trial? Next to impossible with all this BS crap tying up the system!
    Again:[​IMG]
    Bill

18. BrianB

BrianB Producer

19. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Question is though, what are the chances of gathering twelve persons of such remarkably high stupidity, and have them all agree first to guilt, and second to such an ungdly amount of money?

How the hell does that happen and so often?

--
    Holadem

20. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Holadem -- It's called "bribery."

Oh COME ON, they're saying that the smoking companies didn't say anything? On EVERY PACK OF CIGARETTES there is SOMETHING called: The Surgeon General's Warning against cigarrette smoking. This is frivolous BS. Surely the jury couldn't be so stupid as to overlook something like that?

When are we finally going to get a decent judge that will laugh these frivolous lawsuits out of court? It's called taking responsibility. I can see that as a civilization, we have a long way to go before we (as a whole) will ever start accepting responsibility for our actions.