What's new

JURASSIC PARK - audio and video issues (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised the studio hasn't re-released them in Ultimate Editions.
These should have been two-disc sets as there are compression artifacts present on the first movie if my memory serves me right (it's been a while since I've watched it).

Considering Jurassic Park IV is aimed for the summer of 2005, maybe we will see a a new version by then.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The problem lies in either the master recording or the home video master, or both. Sometimes the audio mixer will not pay close enough attention and let the volume peg on the level meters. That causes a signal overload way past reference signal levels and will sound a lot like crackling on the final product when played back (it tends to happen the most with the center channel for some reason).

This can happen in analog and digital recordings.

Dan

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Dolby 2.0 for the DTS version. However, I didn't hear any harshness in the DTS version. Don't own, or ever heard the Dolby version at all.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Try Chp 10, the scene where they see the dinosaurs for the first time, Dr. Malcolm says something like "he did it, I can't believe he did it". It isn't very smooth sounding. And apparently the harshness was evident in the theatrical release and the DTS LD according to the following:

http://www.dvdlaser.com/search/detail.cfm?ID=21511

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
i know you really shouldny judge DVDs from screenshots, but from all screenshots taken (R1,R2, Jap superbit etc) the picture quality looks extremely poor.

I was suprised there wasnt an anniversary this year, as the movie was huge back in the day. Anyone remmebr the countless amount of dinosaur documentaries that appeared after ? started dinosaur craze.

anyway, how is the picture quality ?

i dont think i will ever splash out for the superbit.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Video quality is so-so. Print quality used is also so-so. The bitrate was only average so on the DTS version they could have used full bitrate and would have been fine. In fact, seeing as this was the first DTS theatrical release, that's exactly what they should have done.

Chaulk up another winner from Universal on a big event title. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

They did this to Jaws as well when it should have gotten a much nicer restoration and 6 channel remix plus the original mono track and the entire LD documentary. A two disc set at least, but nooooooooo.

Dan

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
Any change Universal will revisited this title? I just watched a few minutes of it after not watching it in a couple of years and man the picture quality sucks.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I'd be interested if anyone else has this opinion. I just watched the T-Rex scene the other day and I think the picture is very good. I have the DTS version, if that means anything.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
As far as sound is concern the DTS version has a natural sound and quite intense bass. I viewed this in 480i and maybe it's time to give it a run in 1080i and see what it looks like.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I haven't done a comparison on the Jurrassic Park titles, but based on comparisons between other movies like Airforce One DD and DTS and Fifth Element Twister and some other titles like Dragonheart, I've found the DTS version to have not just more substance but better seperation and natural sounds. I feel that when listening to DD version of the movies mentioned it usually a bit muffled or lacking in depth in comparison to DTS. There are titles where the diffence is nominal at best hence rating just as good as DTS, Bowfinger and actually in Airforce one seperation may be greater in DTS but I found the bass was a little more substantial than DTS. My guess is that the DTS mix on Airforce one intentionally wanted more tighter bass as oppose to slightly boomy bass. I happen to like big bass and that maybe what gives the edge to DD version of Airforce one.

Blair G

Second Unit
Real Name
Blair G.
I've read here and elsewher that the "improved" DTS version of JP has PEMC D2R2 (vs D2R1)on the inner ring.

The copy I bought today has neither, it's got R2SP01. Anyone know if this is a new or old pressing?

Blair G

Second Unit
Real Name
Blair G.
After doing a search here and reading through the threads I think I found my answer.

My disc has a red grid on the back
and
the files, when viewed on my DVD-ROM drive, are dated Nov.19/2000

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
I just got through watching the DD version of Jurassic Park and I have to say t hat I was painfully unimpressed. I have a 55" Sony HDTV rear projection and the picture quality was extremely weak. The image looked muddy and undefined. There seemed to be a fair amount of blurring. It is a 5 year old DVD, though. I know this is an old thread but it was the first time I watched it in 480p so I thought I'd share.

The DD was fair and uninspired. Arbitrary descriptions yes....

greg_t

Screenwriter
The Japanese Region 2 superbit is much improved over the R1 release. Too bad it's out of print.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
This title calls for a proper 2-disc set.

With all the recent reissues that Universals been digging out of their catalgoue, Jurassic Park is one that really deserves an upgrade.

Where's the ultimate definitive edition, I'm surprised it's taking this long?

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby
Looks like that would involve purchasing JP3. That would be most...unfortunate. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks