What's new

Jurassic Park 4...what in the heck are they thinking? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
King Kong is a fantasy, there is no evidence that a 25' ape has ever lived on this planet. However, there's plenty of evidence dinosaurs have.

I once read a sci-fi novel with the premise that evolution took a different turn. Dinos kept evolving and became the sentient creatures on earth. I thought it was an interesting idea and still do.

Also, if you except that man can create dinosaurs, why is it so difficult to accept that man could gentically manipulate them into some sort of soldier?

Consider also that a core element of the Alien movies is a search for the aliens for the "weapons" division of a corporation.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I thought he wrote it at the same time they were writing #2 or something like that.

I was just reading the Spielberg edition of the "Interviews" collection by U of Miss, and he is discussing JP2 and its creation, both in interviews before it and after.

Discussing the sequel project Peter Biskind (who wrote the article) says "The project got a much needed boost when Michael Crichton came on board to write a sequel to the best-seller on which JP was based."

Which implies clearly that the project was already in motion to some degree before the sequel. Writer Koepp shared credit on the original, but was credited as the sole writer of the sequel.

Later from Biskind - "While Chrichton was writing his Lost World novel, Spielberg and Koepp kept bouncing ideas back and forth."

And finally - "Much of the Crichton novel was eventually tossed. 'I couldn't find a lot of story narrative in the middle part,' explains Spielberg. 'But the setup was excellent and he certainly put us on the right road." Spielberg also retained a big set piece in the middle of the book, in which the laboratory trailer - really two trailers connected by a rubberized umbilical cord - are pushed over a cliff by the angry rexes."

Sounds very much like a dual writing along the lines of 2001 than a process of book property purchased with the intent of making it into a film. The sequel was likely to happen regardless of Chrichton's choice to write one himself.

Also SS discusses the "why" behind doing the sequel - he felt he owed it to people/kids that he said no to with doing an E.T. sequel.

From Kathleen Kennedy on how the sequels to Jaws helped inspire SS to be involved and even direct The Lost World - "(They were) inferior frankly, and many people think he still had something to do with them. So there's a proprietary creative interest to protect and ensure the quality."

But SS contradicts this a little in terms of JP vs an ET sequel - "I never felt the same way about JP. I didn't think it was a perfect film, and it wasn't so close to my heart that I needed to protect the integrity of a follow-up by preventing anybody else from doing one, which I certainly had the right to do. Among the films that I really think are good movies that I've directed, it's not even in the top five."

Then he goes on to mention how because of this less personal feeling about it he felt bad saying no to the kids asking for a sequel to a film that wasn't so personal to him.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

That'll teach me to comment on something I didn't actually read. I just looked at the image and considered the source (AICN), and then went no further. My bad.

I *have* however been handed some insider info on what the "evolved dinos" in JP4 will ACTUALLY LOOK LIKE!!! I'm ready to share it with HTF, but PLEASE don't ask me to reveal my source. This is a an Internet exclusive folks. I don't wanna hear anyone saying they didn't see it here first:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

He was referring to my pics of Sleestaks higher in the thread. Glad to make your Monday morning brighter, Brett. :)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well as per ign.com it's on the back burner pending Bourne Ultimatum with Matt Damon, then Indy 4. It looks like a couple of years down the road if anything.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I like the idea. Didn't they say in J3 that the dino's were evolving? It beats the same old chase chase chase. At least have it end with the Dinosauroid.

Link

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Looks like it may just happen now...

[COLOR= black]Ready for another trip to Isla Nublar? Universal and Steven Spielberg[/COLOR] hope so, as the famous director has begun to meet with screenwriter [COLOR= blue]Mark Protosevich[/COLOR] the discuss ideas for a fourth film in the popular Jurassic Park franchise.

[COLOR= black]Spielberg, who directed the first two Jurassic Park films and served as an executive producer on the third, must be feeling nostalgic lately – he recently told journalists[/COLOR] that he still thinks of making another Jaws movie, and now he’s returning to exploreanother franchise from his past. While it remains doubtful that Spielberg will ever be involved with another shark flick (or that a fifth Jaws film will ever get off the ground), at least Jurassic Park 4 seems like a project with a decent shot at coming to fruition. [COLOR= black]The director and studio stress that these are very early brainstorming meetings between Spielberg and Protosevich. The duo has a previous relationship, with Protosevich having worked with Spielberg on his planned westernization of Park Chan-Wook’s Oldboy[/COLOR]. A series of rights issues eventually killed that project once and for all, but apparently the two enjoyed working together and have teamed up for this project.
[COLOR= black]The original JP debuted back in 1993. Based on a Michael Crichton novel, the film is remembered for its incredible (at the time) visual effects, which paraded amazingly realistic looking dinosaurs across the screen. The title, along with James Cameron’s Terminator 2, is an important piece of film history if only because it showed what was possible using computer-generated imagery with old school special effects.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]The first two films in the series raked in big bucks at the box office, but the third installment – released back in 2001 – didn’t do nearly as well, essentially stopping the series dead in its tracks. This is already leading to speculation that a new Jurassic Park film could be a potential rebooting of the franchise and not just another sequel. It makes sense on some levels – with today’s movie technology and the emergence of 3-D, a remake or reimagining of the original film could be visually impressive. The question is will audiences care? 3-D numbers are down this summer, leading many to wonder if the technology is losing its appeal with viewers.[/COLOR]
[COLOR= black]The bigger question is who would helm such a project? While Spielberg is involved in these early story discussions, it seems unlikely that he’d get back behind the camera to make a new Jurassic Park – although Universal would almost assuredly love it if he did. Only time will tell – but we’ll keep you posted as new Jurassic Park 4 news comes to light.[/COLOR]

http://www.fandango.com/movieblog/spielberg-and-universal-begin-plotting-jurassic-park-4-668770.html?wss=fanmail&type=Newsletter&mailing=6.17.11%20Newsletter

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've been watching dinosaur movies since I was a kid in the 50's. I hope we do get another JP movie. I will never get enough dinosaurs on film. I hope they do something very difference this time. A new dinosaur with human intelligence would be very interesting idea.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
There's been a definite drop in quality with each subsequent Jurassic Park film, but I still love the franchise and enjoy all three movies to a degree. I'm actually rather excited about the prospect of a new one.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'd love a time travel story with dinos. Ray Bradbury did a pretty good short story about dino hunters using a time machine to hunt them. the hunting thing has already been done in Lost World. But a time travel has not. Something similar to the kid lost in this world of dinos like the 3rd film did... I felt that was the best idea from that film by a wide wide margin. They didn't take advantage of that since we only see that kid at the beginning before and then after he's finally rescue. Missed opp on that if you ask me. Make another, send the kid(s) back in time and spend some time with them before the rescue. It could be fun.

I've enjoyed all 3 films and agree they get worse with each release. But the series is actually kind of excellent overall. Dinos are amazing to see when done right. The first T-rex scene from the first film will never be bettered as far as I can see. Just a superb movie moment.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'd have to disagree. They at least got a little better with three. Lost World was just incredibly bad and the series' definite low point. Had Spielberg helmed 3, I wouldn't have even seen it. Now, enough time has passed that I would give him a chance if he did the fourth.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'd have to disagree. They at least got a little better with three. Lost World was just incredibly bad and the series' definite low point.
Agreed.

TLW was enraging in how bafflingly stupid the characters were (especially the Julianne Moore character who was supposed to be an experienced outdoorsman, who somehow broke every maxim and warning that she preached) I'm lucky I don't have permanently detached retinas from how far my eyes rolled back into my head with the whole "environmentalists" = good, noble people who are shown to be shocked and sickened by the "rape" of nature at the hands of the eeeeeeeevvvvvvvvviiiiiiillllllllllllll corporation guys (who created and own the dinosaurs to begin with). And the sad thing is that, it's the good guys that caused that caused pretty much all the shit that went down in the first place (especially the Vince Vaughn character who's acts of sabotage directly lead to injury and death, but is ok and all because he's an environmentalist "good guy". So who cares if the people who died as a result of his actions had wives, children or other loved ones)

At least the third mostly did away with that nonsense and focused more on simple dinosaur action (although I'm not sure if I'm buying into that whole super intelligent Raptor thing)

air lock

Auditioning
Real Name
anonymous
Originally Posted by DaveF

I thought they did this movie already. It was called Alien : Resurretion.

I agree with Bill, you can't go wrong with dinosaurs chasing people. JP3 was a fun movie. JP4 should follow the mold. If not, return to the (somewhat) more cerebral stylings of the original.

What I don't understand about number 2 was why it deviated so much from the book. Crichton obviously wrote the sequel to become a movie, including some fantastic chameleon dinos. I was looking forward to seeing ILM realize the complex chameleons, and was stunned that something so strongly visual was cut from the movie concept.

That is because the author getting credit did not write the story for the film the film was written before the book, and I can prove it. They reboots aree an effort to get me banned, and it's working rather well. They did this with the Hellraiser trilogy and more. It's because of my background they said.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I was looking forward to seeing ILM realize the complex chameleons, and was stunned that something so strongly visual was cut from the movie concept.
I thought that the chameleon dinosaurs were one of the sillier aspects of the novel. I haven't read it in a long time, but I remember the impression I was getting was that those dinos chameleon aspects were akin to the Predator's suit.

David Sal

Stunt Coordinator
I would love to see Jurassic Park actually as a working park full of turists and tours, hotels, rides etc. And then disaster at a great scale. Just dreaming!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks