What's new

Judd Apatow mentions "Freaks and Geeks" possibly coming to DVD in 2003 (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Well, I seem to have taken up the role of informing everyone whenever the mailing list has another thousand people sign up. Don't know why I feel I must do this, but I do.
Anyway, 23,005 signed up so far...

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Wait a minute - I do have something else to say.
Looking at the Freaks and Geeks bulletin board, I see this question:
I am working on it right now. We are closer than ever. I will not give up. Cross your fingers.
So hopefully Undeclared may be on its way also? Because I liked that show - not as much as F&G, but much more than almost any other show. Our station here in NZ aired the first five episodes back in February last year, then took it off and is drip-feeding us with a couple of episodes every now and then - indeed, we get another new episode next Tuesday night at 10.30pm.

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Oh my, an Undeclared DVD would be fantastic! I rarely ever get overly excited about any potential DVD release but that was has me positvely buzzing! I'm under the impression that several episodes of Undeclared were filmed but never aired and I'm sure that they would be included in any DVD set! I'm off to sign the Freaks and Geaks petition/mailing list. :)

JohnAP

Second Unit
I think when this finally does make it to dvd it will be something akin to the Family Guy release, where sales will be much higher than show ratings ever indicated. Everyone I know whose had the pleasure of seeing it, loves it. I really can't wait to own Freaks & Geeks.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
They'll probably pass 24,000 over the weekend, so I'll update now while I am still at work. 23,903
Meanwhile, Judd has posted a new update on the message board.
A company wants to do it. We are compiling all the extras and working on the assumption that it is going to happen. They are going to begin clearing the music in a week. They are also interested in releasing Undeclared. So, it is not certain, but we all shall will it into being.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I REALLY hopes this gets done. Do you know how hard it is to find a copy of "Discos and Dragons"?
I want interviews and/or commentary from Thomas F Wilson on "Dead Dogs and Gym Teachers"!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
It's good to hear updates from Judd, but we've been hearing the "Almost there" rumors from him for like 2+ years now. For the love of God gimme something definitive! :)

JohnAP

Second Unit
There is one unaired episode of Undeclared entitled God Visits that's supposed to fit somewhere in the middle of the series. You can find it on the internet if you look hard enough. I think what happened is that they had the entire 22 episode season written, but they didn't get to film the rest so maybe the unused scripts could end up on the set as a special feature. I think I remember them talking about one episode in interviews where a video of Marshall throwing up ends up on the internet. I guess that's one that never got made. Also, there was lots of behind the scenes stuff on their website that I'm sure would be put on it. And maybe they'll get to put the episodes in the right order too.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
It's good to hear updates from Judd, but we've been hearing the "Almost there" rumors from him for like 2+ years now. For the love of God gimme something definitive! :)
Here's something that might be considered positive: Dreamworks is finally releasing their first TV-on-DVD, Spin City. Although it's a best-of, instead of a season set, and it's not the show you want (F&G), it IS a step in the right direction. I guess.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I took it from Judd's post that it would be a different company and not DreamWorks that was doing it. Maybe, I was just reading too much into it, but I thought he said "We found a company that plans on releasing it" or something to that effect?

In any event, Dreamworks or whoever else, bring it on...

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
With all of the music intact and a show of as consistently and astonishingly high quality as Freaks and Geeks, $120 is a bargain.
Am I correct in guessing that the company referred to in Paul's post is Shout Factory?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
If you're wanting a link direct to Paul Feig's comment, here it is...
I will say that we're intending to include one full disc of extras, including deleted scenes, bloopers, and lots of other fun things (that we're in the process of pulling out of all our crates and boxes now).
No word on commentaries, which I would love to ehar. But the show is the important thing, and $120 US is well worth it for F&G.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I have absolutely no problem paying for $120 for Freaks and Geeks. Having it with good picture quality, all the original music, and tons of extras to boot, is totally worth it.
Matthew, Judd and Paul say on the DVD_page, that they would
try to include a lot of fun extras such as commentary tracks, clips of the original audition tapes of our cast, deleted scenes, set photography, previous drafts of the teleplays, uncut dailies of the actors working, and tons of behind the scenes footage.
So it's likely we'll get commentary tracks on some episodes.
It's gonna be an awesome Christmas!
Neil: "When I hit thirteen, I became a man."
Bill: "That's only in your temple Neil, not in the real world."

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
This release might be an important test to see if people will pay enough for a show to offset the additional costs due to extensive music rights. If it sells well, maybe they'll be some movement on shows like "WKRP" & "The Wonder Years".

No one here's going to pay $120 for it anyway. With pre-order discounts it should be easily had for under $90.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks