What's new

JPG pics view with DVD player? (1 Viewer)

ross walmsley

Auditioning
I would like to burn pics on cd and view them with my DVD player, is this possible? What format do I make the pics in and how do I "finalize" a CD. Any help would be great, thanks,
Ross

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If any such animal were to be made, it'd probably show up on a Hong Kong player first. I doubt it will though. You'd need to get DVD Authoring software and a DVD burner, and create a disc with your stills on it that way
Jeff Kleist

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I think the newer Sampo DVD player can be upgraded to do this. Search around on Google and I'm sure some links will come up with instructions.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
MY TOP 20 OF 2001

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
At the least there's gotta be a way to turn a jpg slideshow into an mpeg. Then you can burn the MPEG onto CD as a VCD, which can be played in most DVD players. You might need a few utilities to do it, but I'm sure it could be done.

Josh_L

Auditioning
If your player reads cd-r's you can use Nero(great cd burning software)and burn the pics as a VCD
Ive done it many times

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I know I'll get flamed for mentioning Macs in this forum, but here goes:
The Power mac G4-867 has a DVD-R drive for making DVDs that will play on most consumer DVD players.
It has included a software called iDVD, which has the ability to do exactly what you want, create a slide show from jpegs onto a DVD disc and control it with your remote, just like you would a stills gallery in a DVD supplement.
I'm just giving the facts, not making any commentary here.

Gil Clark

Grip
There is a Sampo player that accepts compact flash cards and you can display jpgs via that or from a cdr/rw. Play MP3s too.
Link Removed

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
Kodak is working with equipment makers to do just that in the next generation of players. Their Picture CD's will be able to display in 720x640 pixels.
I don't think most people would be satisfied with VCD as that is limited to MPEG1's low pixel count. The only way to get full quality pictures is to use MPEG2 which means DVD-R. The cost is lower now, I saw the Pioneer A03 for under $500 on the web.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
What about the CD+G format?
Many players support it, though it basically obsolete.
Its the same as a regular music CD, but has pictures added into it. If you stick your CD collection into your computer, you may even find a CD+G. (I had an old heart CD that had some pics on it).

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
how about recording in MPEG2 onto a CDR - with only stills it shouldnt take up too much space on the disc
Would this work?
I'm thinking of doing something like this myself as I have approx 1000 stills from my extended honeymoon and lugging around the photo albums is getting to be a pain!
[Edited last by Duncan Harvey on November 13, 2001 at 09:56 AM]

Phu Vo

Stunt Coordinator
CD+G discs are karaoke discs. Its basically an AudioCD with TEXT overlays written into the CD's subcode. There is no consumer level application that can write CD+G discs. I think the referrence to CD+G was really mistaken for a CD-Extra disc which is an AudioCD/DataCD combination. In either case, these two types of discs aren't what you are looking for.
What you are looking to do can very easily be done. You just want to make a slide show CD which is basically a VCD that complies to the 2.0 standard (support for picture stills). NERO can do this, but the best consumer level program for doing this would be WinOnCD. WinOnCD will let you make branching chapters, customized menu backgrounds, and menus with numbered chapters (your individual pics). Very cool stuff. And it is all done via drag and drop. Easy and cool :). WinOnCD might be a little hard to find since it is mainly a European product. Roxio bought them out a while back (same ppl that make the crappy EZCD Creator) so if you really want it, you are going to have to contact them somehow.
Good Luck
P.S. In order to do this, your DVD player must be able to play VideoCDs (VCD). So if it doesn't say VideoCD right in the front of the bezel, forget about it. If your player does play VCDs, it might have trouble reading CDRs. If that is the case, burn to CDRW. Most players that can't read CDRs can reac CDRWs.
Again, Good luck.....
[Edited last by Phu Vo on November 13, 2001 at 10:46 AM]

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
Anthony- good call. there are several mac users here, that's a totally viable solution for those that have access to a G4 w/ superdrive.
(personally, I have both platforms at both home and work; i like to MAKE things on my macs, but VIEWING things is usually better on my PCs.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks