Journey 20001 DVD....get it!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian O, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

Oops, make that 2001.[​IMG]
    I picked this one up at Costco the other day for $12.99. My Costco just got a bunch of concert DVDs in for that price. Ya gotta love it.
    Any ways, I had held off on this one previously due to a new lead singer. But, this guy is great and is basically a Steve Perry clone. Not only in voice but appearance, dress, and stage presence. Trust me, you will not even think twice about it after the first verse. He has all the intonations and phrasing down pat in the songs.
    They do 20+ songs in 4:3 screen format but very clean. The audio is DD 5.1 and PCM Stereo. The DD is very nice. Great fidelity with a front centered soundstage and nice ambiance in the rears. The bit-rate was consistently pegged at 9. The concert is from Vegas in Dec. 2000.
    The performance is top notch. I had forgot how much I liked their stuff. It's a no brainer if you are/were a fan. If you aren't, you probably will be.[​IMG]

2. wally

wally Second Unit

Thanks Brian,

Whats the rest of the line up. Do they have Steve Smith on drums?

3. luke j. chung

It's Neal Schon on guitar, Jonathan Cain on Keyboards and original Journey drummer Russ Valory.[​IMG]

4. Kenny Foor

Kenny Foor Stunt Coordinator

The drummer is Deen Castronovo from an earlier schon project called Bad English, Ross Valory is the bass player. Steve Augeri (pronounced Ojerry) on lead vocals, Augeri fronted a very good band called Tall Stories. This DVD is a great buy but the lead vocals seem a little muffled in the 5.1 track. Maybe it's my system though.

5. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

Kenny -

You are correct on the band's lineup. The lead vocal sounded clear and distinct on my setup. I was really impressed with the fidelity and bass of this mix.

6. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

This should come with their "Behind the Music" episode. They had one of the better ones I've seen.

7. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

Journey 20001. An Arthur C. Clarke/Frank Poole Production.
    [​IMG]

8. Rutledge

Rutledge Stunt Coordinator

Incredible DVD. They have never sounded better.

If you guys are into drummers, Deen Castronovo puts on an incredible display. He has incredibly fast feet and his double bass stuff sounds like a machine gun on a couple of songs.

The sound is quite good, but I will have to agree with the poster who said the lead vocals are down in the mix.

There is relatively little output coming from the center channel, as this is oriented more like a 2 channel mix in the front, much like Peter Frampton's Live in Detroit.

It did not bother me because I am into the music not the lyrics.

This DVD is a must have and is highly recommended.

9. Rutledge

Rutledge Stunt Coordinator

In regards to the "Behind the Music" episode on VH-1.

I did not like it at all.

There was absolutely NO mention of Steve Smith until the last few minutes of the program.

His drumming style and sound completely changed the way a lot of drummer's played.

"Don't Stop Believin'" is a classic and had a lot of drummers scratching their heads until the figured he was playing the hi hat with is left hand and the snare/tom/bell with his right.

10. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg