What's new

Jonny Quest - The Original Series (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Regulus said:
The Stations in my Area (Detroit) did that too, but I rigged my TV with a Special Antenna that ran from my Bedroom to the Treehouse me and my friends built in our backyard that enabled me to get signals from TV Stations in Toledo, Ohio and Flint and Lansing Michigan. My Parents would make me disconnect the rig each night and whenever there was a Storm (I DREADED the words "BILL! THUNDER!!!" being shouted from my Parents, not to mention Thunderclaps themselves when I was watching something "Really Good").:( Then Cable TV Came Along, rendering my rig obsolete. Then along came the VCR, then DVDs. As I mentioned earlier I have all the "Toth" Hanna-Barbara Titles on DVD, and even some of the "Syndicated" Programs that preempted them! :laugh:
Isn't Technology Wonderful? :D
You add in Youtube along with other online media sources then you will see it is great. I would love to see website that host all the cartoons and have people signed up the site. I think youth today could enjoy these classic cartoons, especially when you talk about issues of the environment or lessons. Yes, many of the issues are technology motivated. However, bullying, joy riding, stealing, etc are still relevant today.
I watch Jonny Quest from time to time and still love how after nearly 50 years this shows still stands up in quality and realism. The issues were of the day, but they are still relevant today, i.e. war criminals, advancements, protecting relics, etc. HB should be given credit were credit is deserve for creation of shows like space ghost, herculoids, valley of the dinosaurs, dino boy and Jonny Quest. HB was a head of its time in its program development!! We need to find ways to educate the you today of the classic show!!!

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Peter M Fitzgerald said:
Actually, while Toth was certainly an important contributor to the original JONNY QUEST (and the stylist for all those other H-B adventure shows), the real driving creative force behind JQ was Doug Wildey. He returned to the characters in the 1980s with a short run of excellent comic books of classic JQ in the 1980s.
The original JONNY QUEST was and is my all-time favorite made-for-TV adventure cartoon series. The attempts to reboot it in the last few decades were ill-advised and lousy.
If you haven't already seen it, here's something really cool that a fan made recently:
Jonny Quest fans who haven't seen this documentary really have to have a look:

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
derosa said:
Jonny Quest fans who haven't seen this documentary really have to have a look:
There are different things we can draw from Jonny Quest considering that it was created in 1964 - see below
1. Norway, Hong Kong, Canada, Africa, Andes Mountains, Java Sea (gave us world geography)
2. Gadgets/Equipment (undseas crawler, Plane that can land vertically, hydrofoils)
3. Introduce use to espionage, stealing of treasures, curses, etc
4. Introduce us to different inventions
5. India character as central figure (first cartoon to have minority race in its show, i.e. before the hardy boys with a black character.
We should really applaud HB to have the hindsight to try something different!!

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Jonny Quest was a big favorite of mine growing up as a kid in the late 60's and early 70's. When it came out on DVD I just had to have it in my collection. I rewatched them all just last year and the enjoyment was still there.
In addition, when I was around 10 years old my parents gave me a Jonny Quest album of "20,000 League's Under the Sea". I use to listen to it in my room on one of those old square phonograph units I'm sure we all had at the time. Well, the album was disgarded many many moons ago, but on a whim i looked it up a few years ago and found an mp3 version of it available for free download. I listened to it on my way to work one day and it brought back all the old memories. All the voices are in it with sound effects and everything. I'd recommend it to all Jonny Quest fans.
Here is a link with info on the album, and downloads of the parts as mp3 files. You can join them together or just search for "Jonny Quest 20,000 League's" to find various other downloads available.
http://www.classicjq.com/artifacts/recordings/20000Leagues.shtml

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
smithb said:
Jonny Quest was a big favorite of mine growing up as a kid in the late 60's and early 70's. When it came out on DVD I just had to have it in my collection. I rewatched them all just last year and the enjoyment was still there.
In addition, when I was around 10 years old my parents gave me a Jonny Quest album of "20,000 League's Under the Sea". I use to listen to it in my room on one of those old square phonograph units I'm sure we all had at the time. Well, the album was disgarded many many moons ago, but on a whim i looked it up a few years ago and found an mp3 version of it available for free download. I listened to it on my way to work one day and it brought back all the old memories. All the voices are in it with sound effects and everything. I'd recommend it to all Jonny Quest fans.
Here is a link with info on the album, and downloads of the parts as mp3 files. You can join them together or just search for "Jonny Quest 20,000 League's" to find various other downloads available.
http://www.classicjq.com/artifacts/recordings/20000Leagues.shtml
I am in my mid forties and still like re-living my youth via watch old HB cartoons. Jonny Quest to this day still is very special to me. I like the characters and the plots that were amazing for a show that aired for 25 mins. It was jammed pack 25 mins with so much happening that you had to pay attention to what was going on some of the off beat comments. Kids today do not know what they are missing in terms of cartoons and that is what is sad. The kids today rather play with their gadgets then really experience what life is really about in this era. The issues today are the same issues in many cases that us kids born between 1962-1974 experience is our lives. I still believe when physical activity was scale back so was kids ambition to do things. I have been and always will be fascinated with learning!!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I plan to celebrate my Birthday in August with a "Mastercard Moment".
Funky Phantom - $29.93
Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space - $27.39
Space Kiddettes - $ 27.54
Reliving your Saturday Mornings as a Kid -
P:DR:DI:DC:DE:DL:DE:DS:DS!!!:laugh:

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Regulus said:
I plan to celebrate my Birthday in August with a "Mastercard Moment".
Funky Phantom - $29.93
Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space - $27.39
Space Kiddettes - $ 27.54
Reliving your Saturday Mornings as a Kid _
:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D :D :D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D :D :D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:D:D:D:D:D: :D:D:D:D:D :D :D :D:D:D:D:D :D :D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D
I am waiting for official release of Shazam and Sealab 2020 becoming available in Canada.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Dang! Someone posted a Quote BEFORE I Could Edit it! (Pushed "Submit" instead of "Preview") DOH! :blush:
I Hate it when this happens! :laugh:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
About the only animated shows we watch in our home on a regular basis are Jonny Quest, The Herculoids, and the original Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! I've thought about picking up The Jetsons one day, but I don't like that cartoon as much as I do the first three I mentioned. I also own several episodes of Supercar, and I wouldn't mind picking up some Fireball XL-5 one day. Some don't really like supermarionation, but I'm not one of them. :)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I own every Gerry Anderson "Supermarionation" Show from Supercar to Secret service :D My personal favorite is Thunderbirds, which in 1965 was the very first Science-Fiction Show my eyes beheld. :cool: I also have UFO and Space 1999 in my collection. I feel sorry for today's kids, not only is Saturday Morning only a shadow of what it used to be, but the Shows themselves (As well as those on the Children's Channels) don't hold a candle to the 1960s - 1970s "Classics". :D Last Year I gave a friend of mine nearly every Hanna-Barbara and Filmation Cartoon Series that are available on DVD to them for Christmas (They had to cut Cable in order to save Money). Not only do her kids enjoy these cartoons (Her eight-year-old-son actually said he liked them more than the ones he used to watch), but their Grades in School have improved. (Their Parents limit them to one hour a day on weekdays, two hours if their outdoor time is spoiled by inclement weather). Oh yes, before they are allowed to watch DVDs, they HAVE to get their Homework Done!
This year I'm getting them the Gerry Anderson Series for Christmas!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Regulus,
I too like Thunderbirds. I own three or four of them. I watched a couple of them with my children around a year or so ago, and although they appreciated the animation, they felt that the show moved too slowly.
"This year I'm getting them the Gerry Anderson Series for Christmas!"
Awesome!
On somewhat of a related note, I've been trying to track down a children's show that I watched over forty (maybe forty-five!) years ago. I don't think what I can recall of it will be helpful, but here goes. What I can remember of the show was this. There was at least one man and a boy in it, and the boy kept a journal. They would travel around certain geographic areas, and it seemed like many of these areas concerned them traveling through a jungle. Some of these travels also had them moving through various bodies of water. I remember them being in a boat, and in one episode the boy drops this journal in the water, or it gets really wet so that he has to find a way to protect it, so he puts it under a tarp or a blanket that he has with him. (I also remember that he kept the existence of this journal a secret from the man.) I really wish I had more than this to go on, but it's one of those vague memories that has remained with me for many, many years. I can't even recall if it is animation or live-action, but I tend to lean toward it being live-action. Every now and then, I have one of those "Professor Popkiss" moments!
BTW, I have another memory, but this one is not a children's show, and it could even have been a film. I've mentioned it before in another thread. It concerns a woman looking into a mirror, and as she is looking into it, a rose unfolds while the mirror cracks and she sees her face cracking as well. This show was definitely in black and white, and it was apparently horrifying enough to me that my parents covered my eyes at this point in the show or film. I viewed this show prior to 1964, possibly in either 1961, 1962, or 1963.
Addendum: The black and white footage that I am trying to track down is not an episode of The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits. I suppose it could have been an episode of Way Out or One Step Beyond, but short of owning both of the latter two series, I have no way of knowing for certain.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Sorry! Neither of those two ring a bell for me. :confused:
All this hubbub for Jonny Quest made me dust off the copy I have for this series and watch an episode for old-times sake. I found out something. Alex Toth did NOT work on 'Quest, looking through the credits, his name is NOWHERE to be seen. (He did do a perdy good job on the ones he DID work on though!) :tu:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Regulus said:
All this hubbub for Jonny Quest made me dust off the copy I have for this series and watch an episode for old-times sake. I found out something. Alex Toth did NOT work on 'Quest, looking through the credits, his name is NOWHERE to be seen. (He did do a perdy good job on the ones he DID work on though!) :tu:
Actually, Toth did work on the original JQ, as both a character designer and storyboard artist; problem is, on the DVDs, they only used the end titles from a single JQ episode to conclude every episode in the set, so several voice artists and crew members aren't represented, because they didn't do credited work on the particular episode that end credit sequence was taken from. IMDB doesn't list Toth in the crew, probably because they're getting the info from the selfsame end credits in the DVD set.
However, here's some proof that Toth did indeed work on JQ... here's a link to some Toth model sheets for H-B in the 1960s; scroll down a bit, and you'll see his designs for some of the characters in the "Quetong Missile Mystery" episode:
http://animationresources.org/?p=719

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'll be darned, I stand Corrected! :blush:
Thanks Pete for bringing this to my attention. :tu:

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I watched the shadow of the condor this morning and love the plot, especially with Dr Quest recognizing the person as a nazi. I like this episode as it had the WWI planes in a dog fight!
I can not believe that this cartoon is nearly 50 years old and still holds up to any thing in that today's tv has produced.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
younger1968 said:
I watched the shadow of the condor this morning and love the plot, especially with Dr Quest recognizing the person as a nazi. I like this episode as it had the WWI planes in a dog fight!
I can not believe that this cartoon is nearly 50 years old and still holds up to any thing in that today's tv has produced.
There are a lot of really great cartoons. There is also a lot of junk that was produced. For boys, the 1960's had the most interesting action and adventure cartoons with some of the best animation. Johnny Quest is arguably the best cartoon ever created. The unique animation, excellent stories and scripts, iconic theme music,etc.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
younger1968 said:
That's the sign of a TRUE CLASSIC! :tu:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My kids recently discovered this show on the Hub; they're 3 1/2 and they love it, so I've introduced them to the DVD.

Can anyone talk about the subsequent JQ shows and if they're worth getting on DVD? Once my kids go through the 1964 season, they're going to want more.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Hi Sam,
The updating version of Jonny Quest is completely different then the 1964 series as Jonny is now a teenager. I think adding the teenage does not help with Jonny's image. The show also added a female character, which may or may not be of interest too you

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Sam Favate said:
My kids recently discovered this show on the Hub; they're 3 1/2 and they love it, so I've introduced them to the DVD. 
Can anyone talk about the subsequent JQ shows and if they're worth getting on DVD? Once my kids go through the 1964 season, they're going to want more.
IMHO avoid anything after the original 1964 series. While your kids might enjoy it, the updates were horrible and produced a boring, poorly animated, stereotypical, and redundant program. Stick with the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks