What's new

Jonny Quest - The Original Series (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It has been wet and cold weekend so i decided to do some dvd watching. I typically only watch a few hours of dvd on any given day or night. However, this weekend was a right-off for the weather. I decided to watch Jonny Quest (1964 Series) over again. I purchased Jonny Quest a few years ago as i remember watching the show when i was a kid.
The plots of Jonny Quest and technology used at the time was amazing considering the show was done in 1964, I really like the plan that can land like a helicopter. The other gadgets that Dr Quest used were amazing considering the time the show was done, which made them ahead of their times.
The Dr Z as Dr Quest adversary was also well planned. I equate Dr Z to Wo Fat (Hawaii Five-O) as he had some similarities. The show focused on issues with Red China and stealing of trade secrets. The show did not touch much on Russia, which at the time would have been key part of the cold war.
I remember the episode of the nazi war criminal that Dr Quest recognize and that later dies in the episode.
I am still amazed how Jonny Quest, which is 40+ years old still holds up today tv. I would ranked it as one of the best sci-fi/adventure cartoons ever produced. Here would be my list of sci-fi/adventure cartoons
1. Jonny Quest
2. Herculoids
3. Star Trek Animated Series
4. Return to the Planet of the Apes
5. New Adventures of Gilligan
6. Sealab 2020
7. Batman - the animated series
8. Superman - the animated series
9. New adventures of Aquaman
10. Super Boy
honorable mention goes to the following
1. Fantastic Voyage
2. Journey to the Center of the Earth.
I welcome other people's comments!!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Hanna-Barbara:
1967 Fantastic Four
Birdman and the Galaxy Trio
Space Ghost and Dino Boy
Young Sampson and Goliath
Moby Dick and Mighty Mightor
Space Kiddettes
Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space
Filmation:
Flash Gordon
Space Sentinals and Freedom Force
Bravestarr
Blackstar
Other:
Marvel Superheroes (Captain America, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Submariner, Thor)
Spiderman (1967) - The Original and the BEST
Space Angel
Defenders of the Earth
Thundarr, the Barbarian

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Regulus said:
Hanna-Barbara:
1967 Fantastic Four
Birdman and the Galaxy Trio
Space Ghost and Dino Boy
Young Sampson and Goliath
Moby Dick and Mighty Mightor
Space Kiddettes
Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space
Filmation:
Flash Gordon
Space Sentinals and Freedom Force
Bravestarr
Blackstar
Other:
Marvel Superheroes (Captain America, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Submariner, Thor)
Spiderman (1967) - The Original and the BEST
Space Angel
Defenders of the Earth
Thundarr, the Barbarian
I also forgot valley of the dinosaurs, land of the lost and ARK II.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
younger1968 said:
I also forgot valley of the dinosaurs, land of the lost and ARK II.
If you include "Live-Action" Saturday Morning Programs you can include (Among Others):
Space Academy
Jason of Star Command
Shazam!
Secrets of Isis
The Lost Saucer
Far-Out Space Nuts
Electra Woman and Dyna Girl
(And a host of other Sid and Marty Croft Shows)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
younger1968 said:
It has been wet and cold weekend so i decided to do some dvd watching. I typically only watch a few hours of dvd on any given day or night. However, this weekend was a right-off for the weather. I decided to watch Jonny Quest (1964 Series) over again. I purchased Jonny Quest a few years ago as i remember watching the show when i was a kid.
The plots of Jonny Quest and technology used at the time was amazing considering the show was done in 1964, I really like the plan that can land like a helicopter. The other gadgets that Dr Quest used were amazing considering the time the show was done, which made them ahead of their times.
The Dr Z as Dr Quest adversary was also well planned. I equate Dr Z to Wo Fat (Hawaii Five-O) as he had some similarities. The show focused on issues with Red China and stealing of trade secrets. The show did not touch much on Russia, which at the time would have been key part of the cold war.
I remember the episode of the nazi war criminal that Dr Quest recognize and that later dies in the episode.
I am still amazed how Jonny Quest, which is 40+ years old still holds up today tv. I would ranked it as one of the best sci-fi/adventure cartoons ever produced. Here would be my list of sci-fi/adventure cartoons
1. Jonny Quest
2. Herculoids
3. Star Trek Animated Series
4. Return to the Planet of the Apes
5. New Adventures of Gilligan
6. Sealab 2020
7. Batman - the animated series
8. Superman - the animated series
9. New adventures of Aquaman
10. Super Boy
honorable mention goes to the following
1. Fantastic Voyage
2. Journey to the Center of the Earth.
I welcome other people's comments!!
wapld5.jpg
I'm not a big animation collector but the original JQ is one of my all-time favorite animated shows. Impressive list of animated shows. I'm also a "Herculoids" fan.
21kgqis.jpg

I still remember that pterodactyl cry as it swooped down in that opening theme scene.
One of my favorite opening animated themes

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Jeff Willis said:
wapld5.jpg
I'm not a big animation collector but the original JQ is one of my all-time favorite animated shows. Impressive list of animated shows. I'm also a "Herculoids" fan.
21kgqis.jpg

I still remember that pterodactyl cry as it swooped down in that opening theme scene.
One of my favorite opening animated themes
HB did something right with the Herculoids, Jonny Quest and even valley of the dinosaurs. I am huge fan of anything to do with sci-fi/adventure and have over 25+ sci-fi/adventure shows on dvd. I remember reading somewhere that Jonny quest was pulled from the network due to its depiction of violence and then was re-aired with cut down/edited versions. The edited versions where to appease the family audience.
I for one believe that the herculoids, star trek, return to the planet of the apes and jonny quest are more for an adult audience. i am glad that my collection has the aforementioned sets.

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Love these shows. Johnny Quest was probably one of the highest quality cartoons of any era. I still think it is reprehensible that they felt the need to edit Johnny Quest. I am a purest and those comments were not offensive. I.E. an Asian bad guy tumbling down a staircase. Johnny says,"Here comes the Oriental Express". I will never get it.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'm with you guys on Jonny Quest and many of the other sci-fi cartoons created in the late 60's and into the 70's. I also find I really like Batman:TAS and Justice League/JLU as more modern sci-fi cartoons. Good stuff.

Gary "not sure how I'd rank them except to say Jonny Quest would be at the top of my list as well" O.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
dhammer said:
Love these shows. Johnny Quest was probably one of the highest quality cartoons of any era. I still think it is reprehensible that they felt the need to edit Johnny Quest. I am a purest and those comments were not offensive. I.E. an Asian bad guy tumbling down a staircase. Johnny says,"Here comes the Oriental Express". I will never get it.
I totally agree with you about Jonny Quest. There show was a head of its time. It is just silly to hear that the family coalition at the time lobby for changes to show as they were too violent. My philosophy is if you do not like something then dont watch it.
Doctor Z to me was like Wo Fat in Hawaii Five-O. You have to wonder if Hawaii Five-O got the idea of Wo Fat from Dr Z in Jonny Quest.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My all time favorite animated series is Jonny Quest. I still get a thrill when I hear that opening theme music! That was true "appointment" TV in my house and I remember being highly upset when it did not return for a second season! I own 2 copies in case something happens to one - it's the *only* series for which I've done this.
Jonny Quest is followed closely by Space Ghost & Dino Boy.
Other than those 2 the only other animated sci-fi series I watch with any regularity are Star Trek: TAS (although I pretty much dismissed it during its original airings), Batman: TAS, and Justice League. Although I do own a few I'm generally not a fan of Filmation series because of the very limited animation they used (who'd have thought you could be more limited than some of the later HB output?) and their tendancy to over use animation clips, backgrounds, and audio tracks/stingers. Flash Gordon has a pretty good story line but I can't stand to watch more than a couple of episodes at a time because of the extreme re-use of both animation clips and audio "fx". The Filmation animation style is one reason I didn't give ST:TAS much of a chance originally. I purchased a copy a year or so back and found it's better than I'd originally given it credit for being. I was *very* discriminating about animation as a kid and didn't like much of what most of my friends liked. I blame Jonny Quest and Space Ghost for making me that way. They were just too good for almost anything else to follow and be watchable in my eyes.
As far as live action Saturday AM type shows - it has to be The Secrets of Isis hands down. I felt most of those shows really talked down to and/or pandered to kids offering lame moral wrap ups. Of course such awfulness/drivel was being driven by parent groups who felt the Saturday shows had gotten out of hand with violence and product marketing - total idiots IMHO who *butchered* Looney Tunes, among others, and truly created a Saturday waste land with their meddling.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
BobO'Link said:
My all time favorite animated series is Jonny Quest. I still get a thrill when I hear that opening theme music! That was true "appointment" TV in my house and I remember being highly upset when it did not return for a second season! I own 2 copies in case something happens to one - it's the *only* series for which I've done this.
Jonny Quest is followed closely by Space Ghost & Dino Boy.
Other than those 2 the only other animated sci-fi series I watch with any regularity are Star Trek: TAS (although I pretty much dismissed it during its original airings), Batman: TAS, and Justice League. Although I do own a few I'm generally not a fan of Filmation series because of the very limited animation they used (who'd have thought you could be more limited than some of the later HB output?) and their tendancy to over use animation clips, backgrounds, and audio tracks/stingers. Flash Gordon has a pretty good story line but I can't stand to watch more than a couple of episodes at a time because of the extreme re-use of both animation clips and audio "fx". The Filmation animation style is one reason I didn't give ST:TAS much of a chance originally. I purchased a copy a year or so back and found it's better than I'd originally given it credit for being. I was *very* discriminating about animation as a kid and didn't like much of what most of my friends liked. I blame Jonny Quest and Space Ghost for making me that way. They were just too good for almost anything else to follow and be watchable in my eyes.
As far as live action Saturday AM type shows - it has to be The Secrets of Isis hands down. I felt most of those shows really talked down to and/or pandered to kids offering lame moral wrap ups. Of course such awfulness/drivel was being driven by parent groups who felt the Saturday shows had gotten out of hand with violence and product marketing - total idiots IMHO who *butchered* Looney Tunes, among others, and truly created a Saturday waste land with their meddling.
Hey Howie,
1. Jonny Quest - The thing that made Jonny Quest so good was the cast along with the plots. Dr Zin was used as the big rival, but there was episode dealt with episonage or war criminals or scientific experiments, etc. Jonny Quest (Tim Matheson) was a smart kid and zest for adventure. Dr Fenton Quest was genius, especially with some of his experiments. Race Bannon/aka security guard was a great influence on jonny quest and a good friend dr fenton quest. Considering the series came out in 1964 and about 2 years after the Cuban Missile crisis there were some amazing plots.
2. Star Trek the animated series is an interesting series, especially with a few episodes tied to the original series - More Tribbles, More Troubles or Yesteryear or Mudd's Passion or Time Warp or Once upon a Planet. The animated series has been eliminated from the star trek timeline even thought there are tie in to the original series.
3. Herculoids is another one of my favorite show as i like Zandor and his will to protect his planet. It is too bad the segments were only 6-8 minutes in length. I picked this show up on dvd as it was must for my collection.
4. Valley of the dinosaurs was amazing show, which was very similar to land of the lost. Valley of dinosaurs came out the same time as land of the lost. The big difference was their was no sleestak and the Butler family may friends with the caveman. The show had some examples were the butler would try to leave the valley, but had no success.
5. My favourite live action shows were Ark II (environmental show) and Shazam (Dealing with real life circumstances, i.e bullying, car theft, etc)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I too love Jonny Quest, and own the boxed set of episodes. I also own the entire The Herculoids series. Echoing what Howie said above, Space Ghost was also a favorite of mine, but I don't own any episodes of the latter series in any format.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Ockeghem said:
I too love Jonny Quest, and own the boxed set of episodes. I also own the entire The Herculoids series. Echoing what Howie said above, Space Ghost was also a favorite of mine, but I don't own any episodes of the latter series in any format.
I have both Space Ghost and Dino Boy, but i was not a huge fan of Space Ghost. I thought i remember growing up that space ghost was like an hr, which was split between dino boy, herculoids and space ghost. I could be wrong and welcome people's thoughts.
I remember Jonny Quest being kick started in the 1980s with addition of a female lead and also making JQ a teenager. I did not watch much of that series as i prefer JQ as a kid, it just added more to the series.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
younger1968 said:
I have both Space Ghost and Dino Boy, but i was not a huge fan of Space Ghost. I thought i remember growing up that space ghost was like an hr, which was split between dino boy, herculoids and space ghost. I could be wrong and welcome people's thoughts.
I remember Jonny Quest being kick started in the 1980s with addition of a female lead and also making JQ a teenager. I did not watch much of that series as i prefer JQ as a kid, it just added more to the series.
I think you're memory is right about Space Ghost. I have the Space Ghost DVD set and it alternates between SG and Dino Boy. I'm not a Dino Boy fan though.
I liked Space Ghost a lot back in the day. I still remember that intro.... "Sppaaaacceeeee Ghhhooosssttt"
hwliy0.jpg

I never saw the JQ remake but wasn't interested since the original is such a classic for me.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Alex Toth was the Brains behind Johnny Quest, Space Ghost & Dino Boy, Birdman & The Galaxy Trio, The Herculoids, Shazzan, Young Sampson & Goliath and Moby Dick & Mighty Mightor among others. :tu:
These Series RULED in their Day, and ALL are available on DVD. :D
FUGGADABOUDT what the "Parent's Groups" said about these Cartoons. If you have kids purchase these DVDs and show them what REAL Cartoons looked like! :cool:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
younger1968 said:
Space Ghost was a half hour. It started with Space Ghost which was followed by Dino Boy and ended with Space Ghost. The last six stories form a serial adventure, in which you'll see guest appearances by Shazzan, Moby Dick, Mightor and The Herculoids. The DVD release presents the episodes exactly like the series aired.
younger1968 said:
I watched an episode of that abomination when it first aired and actually made (barely) it through the entire episode. I found it completely unwatchable and never looked at it again. I've never understood why people feel they need to "update" classic programs.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Regulus said:
Alex Toth was the Brains behind Johnny Quest, Space Ghost & Dino Boy, Birdman & The Galaxy Trio, The Herculoids, Shazzan, Young Sampson & Goliath and Moby Dick & Mighty Mightor among others. :tu:
Alex Toth... I first saw his work on Space Angel at a very young age and fell in love with the look! It defined how an outer space show should look for me for years and I'm sure I recognized that "look" on Space Ghost even though at the time I had no clue who Alex Toth was or that he had designed/drawn both series (I don't recall ever watching credits - just listening to the music while I did something else while they ran). While I now watch Space Angel with a far more critical adult eye I still love the artwork on the series *in spite of* the "animation" style. At least by the time Space Angel came along it had been improved over that used on Clutch Cargo.
I also own a copy of Birdman and Galaxy Trio and enjoy it, just not as much as Jonny Quest or Space Ghost. I truly do not recall watching that one during its original airings but watching the DVDs it seemed familiar. That could be the similarity to other HB/Toth produced product of those years. I checked the 1967 Saturday AM TV schedules and truly do not know if I watched that or Moby Dick & Mighty Mightor (they aired at the same time on different networks). It doesn't ring a bell either, but it's very possible that *both* were pre-empted by locally produced junk (wrestling and talent shows) as I know that happened, especially in the fall during those *important* premier slots! I *hated* those locally produced programs for blocking cartoons I desperately wanted to watch!
I *did* watch The Herculoids and enjoyed it enough that I'd probably pick up a copy but it's on DVD-R/MOD and I just can't bring myself to pay those inflated prices for what I feel is an inferior product. I've never seen an episode of Shazzan as it came on opposite The Flintstones, but it looks like something I'd have enjoyed had I given it a chance.
Regulus said:
FUGGADABOUDT what the "Parent's Groups" said about these Cartoons. If you have kids purchase these DVDs and show them what REAL Cartoons looked like! :cool:
I've never given those groups the time of day. They are just clueless, and unfortunately seem to be the genesis of the PC movement we now experience! Sanitize it all - clean it up - don't show the gritty side - don't tell it like it is to kids 'cause they don't understand (yeah, right... wanna buy a bridge?)!
Thank goodness I was able to see The Little Rascals, The Three Stooges, and Looney Tunes before those $*&#^$ took a knife to them! I now own them on DVD so I, and my grandkids, can enjoy them as they were meant to be seen.
My son never liked Jonny Quest which just makes me sad. BUT my grandson *really* likes it! While he's all about Pokémon and other newer cartoons (most of which I just can't stand) he *does* enjoy many of the ones I love. He and his sister *both* like many of the older cartoons (especially the HB ones) as well as classic prime-time shows from the 50s/60s. Just a few days ago he sat and watched 3 hours of I Love Lucy laughing the entire time. I'm also proud to say they both *love* The Three Stooges! :D

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Regulus said:
Actually, while Toth was certainly an important contributor to the original JONNY QUEST (and the stylist for all those other H-B adventure shows), the real driving creative force behind JQ was Doug Wildey. He returned to the characters in the 1980s with a short run of excellent comic books of classic JQ in the 1980s.
The original JONNY QUEST was and is my all-time favorite made-for-TV adventure cartoon series. The attempts to reboot it in the last few decades were ill-advised and lousy.
If you haven't already seen it, here's something really cool that a fan made recently:

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
BobO'Link said:
I *hated* those locally produced programs for blocking cartoons I desperately wanted to watch!
The Stations in my Area (Detroit) did that too, but I rigged my TV with a Special Antenna that ran from my Bedroom to the Treehouse me and my friends built in our backyard that enabled me to get signals from TV Stations in Toledo, Ohio and Flint and Lansing Michigan. My Parents would make me disconnect the rig each night and whenever there was a Storm (I DREADED the words "BILL! THUNDER!!!" being shouted from my Parents, not to mention Thunderclaps themselves when I was watching something "Really Good").:( Then Cable TV Came Along, rendering my rig obsolete. Then along came the VCR, then DVDs. As I mentioned earlier I have all the "Toth" Hanna-Barbara Titles on DVD, and even some of the "Syndicated" Programs that preempted them! :laugh:
Isn't Technology Wonderful? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks