What's new

Jonah VeggieTales...any DVD reviews of this 2 disc set? (1 Viewer)

Brenton

Screenwriter
Well, I picked it up at Costco, and I loved it. It's another score for BigIdea.

It seems sad to me that so many people are missing out on it because they dismiss it as a "Christian title" or a "kiddie flick". It may be, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's sooo funny!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The Digital Dailies on the Bonus Disc are riotous:

"Do we know anything about filmmaking"
"It has sort of a Being John Malkovich feel to it"
"It's an ever-loving freak out"

:)

The Bonus disc on this set is one of the better bonus discs I can ever remember buying. Period. Big Idea says that there are over 20 hidden easter eggs.. now I just have to figure out where a few of them are ;)

Also, if you haven't seen the 'making of' where they show you all the panic they went through.. in some ideas, BigIdea is like a poor man's Pixar.. they have about 1/10th the budget (and there is no question, the film will not rival Pixar's animation skills) but it's amazing to see how they all struggled together to get the thing done. Call it a real commitment to craft.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Also, remember the Digital Dailies are made up of Larry and Mr. Lunt as the film producers, with Kalihil, the worm-apiller acting as the editor, looking at very funny render mistakes from the film, and explaining them away with the most ridiculous and extremely humorous reasons possible.
They are discussing which shots to redo, and which can be saved. Too funny.

Tommy G

Screenwriter

I hope you got yours by now Dave. I still haven't gotten mine but I went with the cheapo shipping because I am a cheapo. :b I should get it today. I am looking forward to a Friday movie night with my kids.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Listening to the commentary with the writers/directors of the film was pretty interesting.

They both claim a love for the look of films of Terry Gilliam. They liked the look and the feel of "Baron Munchausen"...they also claim that the waves on the final musical number came from a scene in that film.

"Time Bandits" was also mentioned as being an influence.

I have to say, though, that the "Ballad of Billy Joe MacGuffrey" has been going through my head for the last week (over and over and over and over). "They gave him first aid in the first grade..."

Dean_Jonesy

Agent
AAAARRRHH. Stephen, you are ruining the commentary for me. Stop quoting it! Thanks. I'll get to it as soon as I finish watching the 13 movies I still have yet to watch.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Trust me when I say, anything that I have posted thus far is only about 1/1000th of all the funny/cool/ROTFL stuff in this DVD set.

My son comes home from college for spring break this weekend, and we'll be going through the entire set again.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
I can't resist cute humor. The menus enough are cool enough to warrant a purchase. That, and the fact that it's only $15 from DeepDiscountDVD. A very worthy recommendation.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I'm finally getting to watch this and boy is it great. Very impressed w/ the DD track. Musical numbers sound fantastic.

Matthew R - I've got a Panasonic RP-91 DVD player and was trying the different transfer modes. After watching it on Video and Auto 2 (film), I like it better on Auto 2 which is what I watch most movies on. I have seen very little artifacting, but some combing.

Can't wait to see the features.

Peace,

DM

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Another "Easter Egg" the Robot Show..

On the Second Disc, go to "FUN" select then press right on the remote.. the anchor in the fish tank will be highlighted. Select it.. whammo!

:)

Disc gets better the more I watch :)

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
For anyone who hasn't listened to it yet, the audio commentary w/ Mr Lunt and Larry is hilarious. The discussion of hush puppies and KK donuts were personal favorites.

Peace,

DM

Chris

Senior HTF Member
We finally got around to playing with the DVD-ROM features, basically cut down versions of the game, along with some text files and other information (Screen Savers, etc.) for a non-SE release, these disc are -crammed- with stuff. Best bang for the buck I've seen in a long time. Too bad a lot of studios don't put this kind of effort into a first release (and make you buy a film a second time)

derek

Second Unit
Finally got to play around with the 2nd disc of this set. The outtakes are hilarious. And there are two special easter eggs. One with bonus outtakes (the porcupine leveling you know who just had me rolling.) And the best 'bonus' feature I've seen is the 'BOOTLEG' clip. I was on the floor laughing through the whole thing!!! Visions of Valenti, DIVX, home video cameras and goofy theater management dancing through my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.