Jon Stewart to host 2006 Academy Awards

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Keith Paynter, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Yahoo! News

I think this is an excellent move, as long as his Daily Show writers have input to the opening, and not Bruce Vilanch, no disrespect intended. This way, Stewart's sharp timing would be optimized.

2. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    In a year full of PC noms (most likely), he is a great choice. I hope they let him go wild.

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

If the old ladies running the Oscars didn't like Chris Rock, I don't see them liking Jon Stewart much more. [​IMG]

4. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

I love this classic Jon Stewart comment, "...as an avid watcher of the Oscars, I can't help but be a little disappointed with the choice".

As for the old ladies, I doubt they'll find such a nice, pleasant young man objectionable in the least.

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

If he can avoid an Oprah - Uma moment I think he will be fine.

6. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I don't know why Stewart didn't occur to me as an option as others were bowing out or being rejected. It's a natural choice given his popularity right now. I'm looking forward to the show!

7. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

The only thing I worry about is Stewart trying a lot of his political "schtick" from The Daily Show during the Oscars broadcast. If it sticks to discussing just the entertainment industry in general, he'll do okay.

I do miss Billy Crystal--he was always sharp and funny at his peak. [​IMG]

8. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I don't know, to me it feels like being the third or fourth choice of a good looking girl in high school for the prom. Sure, it'll be great, but there were still others she wanted before you...and John Stewart doesn't seem Hollwood enough to me.

9. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/featu...582009,00.html

Born Jonathan Stewart Leibowitz, he started using his middle name as his surname in 1987. "I'm not a self-hating Jew," he once said. "Actually, to borrow a line from Lenny Bruce, I just thought Leibowitz was too Hollywood."

10. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Hahahahahaa!
    [​IMG]

11. Jason Adams

Jason Adams Supporting Actor

Roger Jason Adams
    I think this isn't a bad choice. Better then have Billy Crystal singing showtunes AGAIN.

Did you guys know that Jude Law fired his agent after Chris Rock's comments last year? How vain. [​IMG]

12. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

It seems that "successful" Oscar hosts must perform this sad little sentimental ruse, all nostalgic and misty eyed as though the tinsel-draped crap they manufacture has any meaning beyond the bottom line. All that fake chumminess, sanctimonious bullshit, and assorted ass-kissing. Wretched.

I recall that even a neutered Chris Rock was criticized for being a smidge less obsequeous than is required for the gig. And Letterman? Thankfully, by then it was the late-era, already irrelevant Letterman.

Ah well... there's always the hope that I'll open the paper the next day and find something equivalent to a "Crossfire" moment occurred. Seems very doubtful.

13. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

For some reason this makes me think of the "Band Camp" DVD with the fake Stifler.

14. dailW

dailW Stunt Coordinator

jon will do fine. tom shales from the Washington post will hate him because hes not Carson and tom cant think outside the box i'm still pissed at the comments tom made about dick Clark on Monday.[​IMG]