What's new

Joined the gym (2 Viewers)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
ooo a spinning class AND aerobics class, you are serious. Nearly half a year later, nice to see you follow through and get the results you wanted. Congrats!

That's pretty dang nice! You must have legs like Ronnie Coleman :D

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Interesting thread. I joined a Golds gym about 3 weeks ago for the main reason that it was literally on my way home from work, so I have absolutly no reason not to go. For the first 2 weeks I created my own workout where I would do the circut of all the machines 2 (10 reps each) on Mon & thurs, and do a full preprogrammed routine on a bike or the elipical (?) thing on tues and friday with wednesday and the weekend off.

I have since seen a personal trainer who has cut me down to doing about 8 of the machines (2 reps of 12 no freeweights at this time, I go by myself) and doing 20-30min on the bike/eliptical before the weights as a cardio/warm up 3 times a week (mon/wed/fri). He told me that if I wanted to do anymore in a week than to just do cardio. As per my usual luck, I twisted my knee at work last week, so I'm basically doing just the upper body stuff and cardio.

Some things I've noticed:

I don't know if it's a GOLDS thing or not, but the preening is at a level that seems to be retarded. I saw a guy fresh out of the shower, shave, and than work out.

I think I'm the only one going there who can't get out of there fast enough. I basically qait about 30-45 secondes before reps/ moving to a new machine. As long as the machines are free, I'm out of there in about an hour. this is compared to some folks who I don't think I've ever seen actually sweat.

Don't get me wrong, so far I'm enjoying it. As I said above, the only reason I actually joined is I know I have to get in better shape. I also know that if I wasn't walking past it everyday, I would never go to a gym as I'm far too lazy to actually leave my house and go to workout. DVDs and hanging out wins everytime. I'm keeping pretty realistic goals. I have no illusions of being ripped to shit like Brad Pitt in Fight Club, my only goal is to have a generally better well being/ more energy. Any physical change in wieght/appearance well be a bonus.

I'm not drinking anything special. I'm leary of the protein shakes/whey powder stuff as while I'm not specifically looking to drop weight, I'm not looking to gain any either (I'm 5'10, and 230lb, which puts me in the "FAT BASTARD" category on the body mass index). The personal trainer added that most of these have sugar that well make me gain. In recognition that I should have more of something since I'm working out, I have bought some "Greens" powder to drink, but have yet found a suitable way to actully ingest it. It's truely disgusting. Any advice on this would be helpful.

Congrats to all the others who have posted their missives, as well as the other suggestions posted in the thread.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Just a bit of a rant.. I thought all I had to do to cancel my Bally's membership was pay an extra $50 cancellation fee, but turns out I was locked in for two years.

I moved to a new place that's literally right behind a Bally's, but this one is horrendous. Their freeweight section is only 2 racks wide, with 3 benches. Now I have to pay $45/mo to a gym I don't go to, and $35/mo to the current one I'm at (Fitness First).

I guess this serves as a small warning... sometimes paying the extra $5/mo for the 1 yr contract vs. 2 yr may be worth it. :x

rachelmarieW

Auditioning
My husband & I have the same problem.. joining a gym would be a waste of money... even if its down the road... especially since my husband drives an hour to and from work each day. So he thought of the perfect idea.. build one in our garage :)

He bought a stairmaster and a TON of weights... I only do the stairmaster.. maybe eventually try some weights.. but its convenient... and all we have to do is walk downstairs :)

My hubby sure is a smart guy, lol!!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Unfortunately for me I'm the opposite. The only reason I'm getting any exercise is becauae I joined the gym. If it closes or moves, I can't see myself going to far out of the way to continue my regiment. I know it's pathatic, but I really am that lazy.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
great site John. full of great information. I plan on checking it out when I have more time.

I am a failure when it comes to exercising and eating healthy. I try things out and last for about a few weeks, but then I always fall out of it. This year I started Power 90 on april 2nd, but as usual, I lasted about 3 weeks and then slowly fell back into bad habits.

I have the desire to work out. I really want to eat clean and stay fit, but I just can't seem to find th ewill power or motivation to stick with it.

any advice?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I could never get motivated to workout at home, too many other distractions. My HT, my MINI, house projects, family...etc., the list goes on and on. I love going to the gym, it's fun, I'm there for about an hour and no distractions, I can focus for that hour on doing nothing but working out.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit

I've been at it for three years now. It's the same as quitting an addiction - it's hard and you have to keep at it. Eventually, the new habit (the gyme or your version thereof) becomes an integral part of your life. It's pretty much that simple. You have to stick it out and get yourself over that "hump"/

Things that I would consider:

Do you listen to music when you go? If not, you could try that.
Do you go when you have to wait for machines (assuming that you are a machine guy)? If so, try different times to see if it's less busy.
Are you bored at the gym?
Did you set short attainable goals or just long-term goals?
Have you tried going with a friend (or solo if you already do)?
Have you researched what you are doing? Not to be caddy, but it's like anything else - if you don't know you don't appreciate (i.e. home theatre is not BOSE).
Do you use free weights? If not, consider them as they offer biomechanical advantages (i.e. I'm 6'5" and simply don't "fit" most machines; the same is true for shorter people) and they offer more stimulation for stabilizing muscle groups.

Go to the gym this week. Don't "plan" to go next week, or next month (or Jan. 1st, etc). Just go now. Do it. And stick to it.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
" Not to cause a fight, but i am a certified personal trainer and doing one set to failure is not the same as 3 to 4 sets."

On the other hand Mike Mentzer and his many students had great results doing it with a preexaust exercise. People either think hes a genius or a nut depending on who you talk to.

I got good results with his routine, but did it in 8 week cycles.

Funny to see this thread because Im going back this week after being basically out of the gym for a year and 1/2 working on my house.

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit
I agree with you JonZ, different programs suit different people. For some, one set to failure is just as effective as 3-4 sets.

Dorian Yates. 6 Sandows. One set to failure.
Ronnie Coleman. 8 Sandows and he's a volume guy.

Both have (IMO) great development but used different approaches.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Our garage is already filled with my hobbies, my HT takes of one half and my MINI takes up the other, no room for anything else. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks