What's new

Johnny Carson dies (1 Viewer)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
[Edited to correct spelling. (Thanks, Garret.)]

Johnny Carson was indeed funny, engaging, and very entertaining. But we should never forget that Johnny Carson was also dedicated to advancing the causes of science and critical thinking.

Carson frequently had scientists on his show, honestly for the purpose of exposing his viewers to science. Most notably, Carl Sagan appeared on Carson's show many times, and it can accurately be said, I believe, that Johnny Carson single-handedly launched Carl Sagan's public career. Carl Sagan made astronomy “cool” for the masses, but only because Johnny Carson made Carl Sagan “cool”. While Carson was always quick on the uptake when his guest-scientists would unwittingly deliver an irresistible straight line, Carson always had the utmost respect for their message, and he saw his show as a means to popularize their work.

As a former magician, Johnny Carson was extremely gracious toward his fellow magicians who appeared on his show. But he treated outright frauds and charlatans quite differently. It was on Carson's show that James Randi debunked “psychic surgery” and other paranormal phenomena. Carson and Randi became good friends and associates, and Randi appeared frequently on the show. Johnny Carson financially supported Randi's foundation and often consulted with Randi on the best ways to expose those who bilked people out of money by claiming to have paranormal or supernatural powers. The most famous debunking episode is perhaps the one where Yuri Geller was exposed for the fraud he was when he submitted himself on the show to a test designed by Randi.

So the thing I remember most about Johnny Carson when I was growing up is that he was a fierce champion for the nerdy guy with the big glasses who saw infinite wonder in a mundane world, and he was an unrelenting skeptic when it came to the charismatic guy who claimed to be able to bend spoons with his mind or talk to the dead. The entertainment world needs more people like Johnny Carson who value true substance over exploitative charisma.

Answer: Andrew Dice Clay, Marlon Brando, Johnny Carson.

Question: Name someone with crass, mass, and class.

Thanks for sticking up for the nerdy guy, Johnny. I'll never forget it.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
The night when Yuri Geller was debunked was great TV. Afterward it seems the buzz about Geller completely dried up. He was finished!

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

Been meaning to check all week and finally looked tonight.

Unfortunately, I didn't see any subtitle or CC options in the menus and the subtitle button wasn't operational during the "Best of the 80's and 90's" show.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Johnny Carson programming coming to Turner Classic Movies --
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-johnny-carson-is-coming-to-turner-classic-movies-20121119,0,1829738.story?track=rss

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Holy stick in the eye Batman!
Saw the thread title and my stomach jumped 6 feet. It's amazing nearly 8 years later this still is affecting the way it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks