What's new

John Williams/Steven Spielberg questions (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've collected soundtracks for years and years but I'm admittedly ignorant about the ins and outs of the soundtrack world and what scores are reasonable to expect an expanded re-release for.

So I guess one question I have is, since the BIG titles of the 1970's and 80's Williams/Spielberg movies have expanded releases, what are the odds of seeing other expanded CDs of more recent Williams' scores? If it wasn't for La La Land's A.I. set, I'd have just assumed that the stuff from the 1990's forward would probably only have their original releases but is it reasonable to think that, say, Lincoln or Saving Private Ryan will get a re-release some day?

Are soundtracks a similar situation to Blu-rays where you can just say that studio X never licenses their titles so this particular score has no chance of getting re-released?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Great question. I'll post in more detail later but the short answer is some labels (La-la land, Intrada) have great relationships with studios that mean for some of the Williams' scores will see expansions eventually. Some labels, like Varese, are slow to exploit their library, but I'm not sure if Varase have any of the great JW's scores. Might be good for us to list out all his scores and we can discuss them individually (I got one would love an expanded War of the Worlds) :)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
La La Land has announced a two CD release of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial. It goes on sale on September 12 and is limited to 5,000 copies.

They've sold through half the run in a day, so if you don't have it on order and you want this release I wouldn't take too much time.

http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/ET.html

Neil

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My first time in this forum. Just discovered it!

I don't want CDs, do they release these in Hi Def music? Like at least 96/24bit?

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I have been listening to the new remastered 35th anniversary E.T. soundtrack. Finally! This one gets it right.

I've bought this soundtrack at least five times now: once on cassette, once on LP, and three times on CD.

Universal cassettes used to be just about the crappiest cassettes there were. The LP was okay as far as it went. The first CD release I bought was either in the mud or way too hot. The second CD release was almost there, and admittedly I enjoyed it for many years, but cuts were split and a lot of the strings seemed in the mud.

Yet this 35th anniversary edition is a beauty. The mix is nice and robust. The strings are clear. The cuts respect the movie. And it's all here! Plus the liner notes are generous--and superb.

I can confidently say I have bought the E.T soundtrack for the fifth and final time. And I couldn't be happier.

ET-35th-cover-hi-res.jpg

P.S. Disc one, cut 18 was worth the entire price of the set to me. "We could grow up together, E.T," Elliot says. One of my favorite moments in the movie, and simply hearing the music made me tear up. Also having a different orchestration of my favorite cut, The Departure, is something I'll treasure.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
A 3 disc release of Superman is now available from La La Land Records. https://lalalandrecords.com/superman-the-movie-40th-anniv-remastered-limited-edition-3-cd-set/

It's going back a few months but Varese Sarabande released Williams' score to Dracula. https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/dracula-the-deluxe-edition
I have the expanded Dracula - it’s wonderful. And I’ll be ordering the 3-disc Superman. My god, have you heard those samples on the LLL site? Just wow.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I have the new Harry Potter box set. I’ve been waiting on this for years. Totally worth the wait. Accio box set!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks