What's new

John Wayne's Sea Spoilers Tonight (4/21) on TCM and Maybe on DVD? (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
TCM is showing John Wayne's Sea Spoilers tonight at 10:30 e.s.t. This is one of those rarely seen films Wayne made in the mid-1930s at Universal. Personally, I would love to see a set of those films released as a TCM exclusive. When I saw it listed to be shown, it did raise my hopes that would happen, but no announcement as yet.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
For some reason those 30s Universal-owned Wayne vehicles are now the biggest holy grail Wayne features in terms of their unavailability on DVD anywhere. The Sea Spoilers is one of the rarest in terms of availability outside of Adventure's End which is presumed lost. I've never seen The Sea Spoilers and hope to remedy that soon.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Rats, wish I would have known this was on. I have 5 of the 6 films burned to DVD, but they are from very poor sources. As JoHud stated, Adventures End is the one film that has never been available. I did read that there does exist a copy somewhere in the vaults in Washington DC (film archives?), so all hope is not lost on seeing it one day.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
This wasn't shown, was it? It was listed in the TCM NOW PLAYING guide, but according to my on screen guide, it was removed from the schedule. I even asked TCM about it on Facebook, but got no response. Did it air?

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
revgen said:
Since we're talking about John Wayne, has anybody bought any of the "remastered" Lone Star DVD-R's at MoviesUnlimited?According their press release from a couple years ago, these DVD's have been remastered from original nitrate negatives. Theoretically, they should look better than any of the other PD releases.http://www.moviefanfare.com/john-wayne-westerns/
Does it say anything about the original music being restored on THE MAN FROM UTAH? Every copy I've seen of that has awful synthesizer music replacing the original.EDIT: Just read the press release and see that all the movies on these new releases have had NEW music added to them, no doubt how they were able to secure a copyright for them. No thanks, I'll stick to my public domain copies with the original music, save for MAN FROM UTAH.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Yup, I have those remastered Lone Star films. While the picture is great, the fake music they lay in there is just awful. I mean, it actually ruins certain scenes, because it has nothing to do with what is happening on the screen. Terrible. Would love to see a company remaster these onto Bluray one day, without any artifical music.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
According to the onscreen guide, FRONTIER HORIZON (1939) ran on TCM last night, not SEA SPOILERS. I recorded it but didn't check it yet. SEA SPOILERS was not listed anywhere in the rest of the Wayne schedule.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
jim_falconer said:
Yup, I have those remastered Lone Star films. While the picture is great, the fake music they lay in there is just awful. I mean, it actually ruins certain scenes, because it has nothing to do with what is happening on the screen. Terrible. Would love to see a company remaster these onto Bluray one day, without any artifical music.
Thanks Jim. I might not buy these afterall.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Professor Echo said:
This wasn't shown, was it? It was listed in the TCM NOW PLAYING guide, but according to my on screen guide, it was removed from the schedule. I even asked TCM about it on Facebook, but got no response. Did it air?
Sorry to get everyone excited about this. It was originally on the schedule, and I put it on my calendar (I don't have TCM but try to follow it for hard to find titles). I sent an email to TCM asking what happened to it, and the response I got said that they could not get a master from Universal. Who knows what the state of the John Wayne 1930s films is at Universal anyway?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
jim_falconer said:
Yeah, while their masters are derived from the original elements, they are definitely not directly off the original elements. They were tampered with for TV boradcast, cutting out footage and overlaying really bad stock music possibly in an effort to claim some copyright on them.

I'd personally avoid them, though that is difficult because they are often peppered in many of the PD collections.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
JoeDoakes said:
Who knows what the state of the John Wayne 1930s films is at Universal anyway?
Who knows,indeed! They spend so much time on the Horrors and Abbott & Costello films and neglect the others!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
DeWilson said:
Who knows,indeed! They spend so much time on the Horrors and Abbott & Costello films and neglect the others!
They have done A&C fairly well, but I would like them to spend a good bit more time with the horrors.

Squashy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Josh
Many of Wayne films have been lost his serials he did in the 30s before he got big in 39 the copyrights werent renewed source material lost, the studio got bought sold the originals to private collectors that happened to so many movies back then I guess the companies hadn't thought of them as anything more than cheap movies at the time and treated them as such. Roddy Macdowell was one such person to have many original in his possession as well as one the first vhs players. He was part of an fbi Investigation where they raided his home, I'm sure you all know this anyway.Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks