What's new

John Mayer Heavier Things SACD vs. Dual Disc - any opinions? (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Maybe not, but the mikes he used on the album are horrible...listen to all of the sibilance on the vocals (that word reminds me of Tom Hanks' Aerosmith roadie character on SNL years ago :D ). I would really love to hear that in SACD despite those issues however...what a great collection of songs.

Greg.R

Grip
I was looking forward to getting HT when I got my Denon 2900 in last week - what a disappointing SACD experience it has turned out to be. I have a Parasound 1203a, H/K AVR as a pre and Polk LSi9's - all of which seperately are generally described as being on the warm end of the audio spectrum, and that's how I like my music...

I'll be damned if HT isn't the coldest thing I've heard on my system so far, they added enough treble on this thing to kill a horse, plus his voice sounds compressed at the top even on the SACD layer. What a disappointment, becuase some of the songs still sound pretty amazing as long as the volume is kept at modest levels, but then there's hardly any bass. I can hear the great music is there, I just can't get it to come out :frowning:

I know it's not the set up though, Oh Brother Soundtrack and Beck's Sea Change sound immaculate.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

I have to agree with you here. While I really do like the music and think that the SACD sounds great, I must admit that it is somewhat "cold" or analytical, but then it sounded that way on CD. I believe it has to do with (from what I recall) the entire thing being recorded digitally.

Gary Burdick

Stunt Coordinator

That can be passed via optical/coax right?

Also I saw on their site most have "enhanced lpcm" but they went on to say it's only 48/16.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks