John Kilduff on commercials...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by John Kilduff, Aug 23, 2011.

1. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Hello, everybody. I hope you're all doing well right now. Work on all fronts has been keeping me busy, from my paying job to helping to set up the new RetroJunk website. Something that I enjoy about retro culture is watching broadcasts with old commercials. I've been collecting them for a while now, DVD conversions from various online sellers. It's strange how I like retro advertisements as much as the broadcasts themselves. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I taped over a lot of my old videos. This gives me a second chance at these. My question is twofold: First, do you feel that the commercials are as important as the entertainment? Second, do you feel that Blu-Ray could allow advertising companies to make their past known? I'm off to some of the other boards to see what's going on there, so I hope all of you have a good evening. Sincerely, John Kilduff... We'll be back after these messages...Or posts.

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    There's a VERY slim percentage of commercials that transcend the ordinary. But those that do are amazing.

3. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

What do you think makes a commercial transcend the ordinary? For me, I guess it would have to be when they're referenced in movies and TV shows. Of course, that could go either way. The countdown specials they occasionally air prior to the Super Bowl show them respect. On the other hand, various cartoons for both kids and adults have made them humor material. Something else I also like about these old broadcasts is that aside from the ads, there are also old TV spot for various movies. For example, I came across a few TV spots for "Lethal Weapon" that had Mel Gibson and Danny Glover joking around in a screening room. Those didn't make it to the DVDs. Maybe Warner lost the prints, but it would've been fun to see. Sincerely, John Kilduff... I guess you could say I'm mad about ads.

4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    RESPECTING the viewer as a participant and not just a consumer. Consideration for the art. Reaching for the new while being grounded in the ordinary.

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    And sometimes you just get lucky and tap into public consciousness. I've fallen and can't get up, etc.

6. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    When I grew up in the 50's, commercials were part of the main show. I can still remember the dancing cigarette packs, Jack Benny saying "Jellow Again". The singing Texaco Gas Station guys. They were part of the show. If I were to buy some discs of old TV, I'd like the old commercials to be included, though I'd want them to have chapter stops so they could easily be skipped, when I'd seen them enough. BTW, one of the best and funniest commercials of all time is currently on tv. The guy who makes driving noises while asleep. He's got his dog in bed with him and a fan going. Get the picture? "Chevy Runs Deep." It is so damn funny because it has a core of truth.