What's new

John Huston's The Dead...ever? (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Mildly satisfied, Runar!

Actually, I had trouble ordering it from Ezy.com and I gave up in frustration. Every time I clicked on the checkout icon, it was coming "cart empty" "Eh? Fuck off!", I said to the monitor and went to bed. I now know of four people ordering this title, so I might just wait to here from them - or you, my Norwegian godhead!

If any Joyce fans here are interested, here is a 90-minute lecture by the late, great, Terence McKenna on Finnegans Wake...

McKenna on FW

Great stuff, by the Mushroom King!

binkysplace

Auditioning
Real Name
Linda Berlin
This is my first post. I Googled John Houston's The Dead because I just lost my VHS copy in a basement flooding (busted pipe while on vacation to Disneyworld...a magical homecoming let me tell you!). It is my top holiday viewing movie next to Baryshnikov/Kirkland's Nutcracker and the Alistair Sims? Christmas Carol. Anyway, I was thinking I'd just go on-line and get me a new DVD copy of The Dead and then I find this website and postings and now I'm all bummed out. So, I guess for now, if I can find one, I'll get a VHS copy back just so I can watch it this Christmas. I found the Roger Ebert review very warming and informative. The first time I saw this movie in the theater I was so amazed by the reading of the weird poem 'Donal Og' (it took me some looking to find that one) by Sean McClory I had to go to a book store to find a copy of James Joyce's The Dead to read it. It wasn't there!! IMDB has this to say: "McClory's most memorable late-in-career role was a special appearance in the adaptation (The Dead (1987)) of the short story "The Dead" (1907) of James Joyce by John Huston, his final, glorious effort. McClory's part as Mr. Grace was not a character in the original story but created by Huston and his son Tony Huston to provide McClory with a reading of the medieval Irish poem "Young Donal" which was very effective to the mood of this look at Irish family remembrance." There really was a Lady Gregory who wrote this fabulous poem and there are quite a few versions out there. Anyway, I'm glad I found this site and especially this 'thread'. I'll keep my eyes out for more info on DVD updates.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
'The Dead' is a truly astonishing last work from Huston; some months back, Criterion were said to be rumoured to be prepping it, but then apparently denied they were doing so - if you're multi-region, as well as the R4, there's a reasonable R2 disc available.

Pastor Jim

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim White
For the past two years, I've been doing a sermon series called "CHRISTMAS: THE DIRECTOR'S CUT" where I take a different Christmas film and look at it from a faith perspective. This year I went out on a limb and used "THE DEAD" as one of my films. It was WAY different from any other film I've used before. But I we just put the sermon online at our church's website... so if there are any fans of "The Dead," you might want to check it out.

Aiea UMC's website: aumc.us
On the left sidebar, under WORSHIP... you'll see "SERMONS"... follow that.
On the sermons page, it's the December 14 sermon.

Let me know what you think.
By the way, on page 7 of the sermon, under the first bullet point, I forgot to put in the note to watch the very last scene of the film. Gabriel's soliloquy.

Anyway, let me know your comments, if you want.

Peace,
JIM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks