What's new

John from Cincinnati - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

All of the episodes have been titled "His Visit: Day X". "His" being capitalized means nothing given that it is the first word in each title and all words in titles (except minor ones like "the", "and", "of") are capitalized.

I was intrigued by the first couple of episode, but now this show is about to get cancelled from my DVR. I'm starting to dislike every single character: Bill sounds like he's recycling old Andy Sipowicz lines from NYPD Blue, Paul Ben-Victor (who is a good actor when given a chance) is playing exactly the same character he has played every other time he's worked for Milch, and his ticks are beyond annoying. Cissy has been reduced to a screaming bitch who never utters a word that isn't at fog-horn volume. The rest of the cast (as fine and quirky an ensemble of first-rate character actors as anyone could ask for) is being wasted in go-nowhere scenes. With each new series he does, it becomes clearer that David Milch would like to be David Mamet when he grows up, and that he's never going to make it. (Yes, I know that Milch doesn't write all the scripts - but he's executive producer, so you can be pretty sure most of the scripts either run through his word processor for a final polish or don't need to be because the writer has become so good at mimicking "Milch-speak". The effect is the same.)

Unless Chandra West and Rebecca DeMornay start getting naked a lot, I don't think there's much left in this show to hold my interest. At a certain point you've got to serve up a little steak to go with the sizzle, especially with a short pay-cable season, and so far John from Cincinnati hasn't.

Regards,

Joe

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I'm 100% with Joe. Great cast, lots of potential with a completely quirky -- I hesitate to call it a storyline -- maybe environment, setting or concept? Anyway, my interest was piqued, but there's been no follow through. I want Deadwood back.

Loved the guest appearance by Dr. Johnny Fever!

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I'm not giving up but I was disappointed in last night's episode. The dialog spoken by the players concerning John explained themselves in such convoluted ways without mentioning the most obvious, the 800 pound gorilla in the corner. Even a die-hard atheist, or someone close to that position like myself, would consider it as possibility, or at least one of the possibilities.

In the same vein, it's annoying that not one the person upon hearing Mitch tell them about his levitation asked him to show them. I know it's a fantasy but even crazy people ask such questions.

Finally something we can all agree on. Sissy is not ever going to be named Mother of the Year.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

But she's got a shot at grandmother of the year!!! Heh.

Anyhow, why bail now when next week is the finale?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I didn't realize the planned season was that short - which is pretty thin even by HBO standards. OK, so I'll watch next week. The point remains that if something amazing doesn't happen, I probably won't be back for the next episode - whether that comes in six months or a year or whenever. If this show gets a 2nd season, I don't think it will still be pulling 4 million viewers a week or whatever its getting.

Regards,

Joe

(Just in case Milch is reading this, some hot Rebecca on Chandra action would go a long way towards getting me back. It isn't like that would be too far out for this show, and it could be fun. ;))

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
I'm curious -- for all the people who dislike the show, how do you feel about Mulholland Dr., Blue Velvet, and Lost Highway?

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
For the record I never said I was bailing, only a tad exasperated with some character interactions I find distracting. Overall I am enjoying the ride for however long it lasts.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
They have such great talent on this show but WTF is going on!?!?! I mean, is it a religious themed...what? And again Mark Paul Gossler makes an appearance and of course Dr Johnny Fever...I just dunno. :eek:

But like the drone I am I keep watching, maybe this is an HBO test to see how long we will all hold out...:frowning:
IMHO other than Big Love, all of their heavy hitter shows are now gone...:frowning:

PS-Some of the lines in this show, if I close my eyes I am watching DEADWOOD...really sounds just like it.

BTW-I see where the lead actor that was in ROME is getting a show on NBC is it?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Sundays show I finally got to watch and really this was the weakest of the bunch. It seems now all these eceentric characters do now is stand around and Hand wring and frantically over emote. They are way way over the top. I appreciated the return of Bruce Greenwood because at least Mitch is dialed back a bit. This show really advanced the plot about zero percent, and next week is the finale. I think it's a toss up whether it gets picked up again, although it's gotta be cheaper than Deadwood.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Just got around to watching this week's episode. Wow...what a snooze fest. Sissy might be the most unbearable character in TV history. If that's the character she's going for, De Mornay deserves an Emmy. Like most others, I'll watch the finale since I made it this far, but I doubt I'll be back for season 2 if it even happens.

Probably the heaviest hitter they've ever had, 'The Wire' will be back next year for it's fifth and final season.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i havent seen the show but guessing from what has been posted here i see two initials

John from Cincinatti

ErichH

Screenwriter
Not to mention Ed O'neill saying it over and over.
Zippy will return and spell it out for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks