What's new

John Doe cancelled!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
This sucks, big time. It seems like almost every new sci-fi show gets the axe. I think, perhaps to a small degree John Doe was going a bit downhil toward the end. But I also think it started getting better with the last few episodes where he was finding out more about the conspiracy.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
According to a member of the John Doe fan club who posted at another board. The producers wanted to explain everthing this season and then move on. But, Fox said save it for the next season. :rolleyes

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Fox has a long history of canceling Friday night shows: Firefly, Dark Angel, Millennium, Harsh Realm, Strange Luck, etc. (Was Brimstone on Fridays?) It's pretty much a death sentence for any Fox show to get moved to Friday nights. I think X-Files is the only show to ever survive Friday nights on Fox, aside from the reality/clips BS that they use as filler.

John Doe did drop in quality in the middle of the season when it became a cop-mystery-of-the-week, but it had been showing signs of improvement in recent weeks. And I'm not 100% sure, but I think it beat out Fast Lane pretty consistently in the ratings. I find it surprising that they would decide to keep Fastlane since it would seem to be a more expensive show. I must admit to actually enjoying Fastlane as a guilty pleasure, the chemistry between the three leads works well; but John Doe at it's best was a far more compelling show.

Jon Mercer

Second Unit
Damn!! I wanted to see where the story was going! I enjoyed it for what it was, now I'm back to watching movies on Fri nights.
I tried to watch Fastlane but found it quite annoyingly bad.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
The producers wanted to explain everthing this season and then move on. But, Fox said save it for the next season.
It's all about ratings. Not fan happiness.

Fox knew that if they renewed the show...there'd be less interest because everything would have been explained already. And they didn't care if everything was left hanging...because, why would they?

the WB did the same thing with POPULAR. The creators were given 22 episodes for the second season, and intended to make the show a 2 part season finale. Then WB told them they weren't going for a 3rd season. The creators wanted to wrap up the series, but WB told them to make episode 21 a cliffhanger, to be closed in episode 22. They did, and then WB cut back the episode order to 21 episodes, and the series ended on a huge cliffhanger, never to be explained.

The creator thankfully told fans what WOULD have happened. Maybe fans of John Doe can hope for the same in a little while.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Fox keeps putting shows I like around that slot then canning them. It pisses em off. IIRC, The X-Files is the only show to survive it. You could count Millenium as a success as it got three seasons, but it was struggling the whole time.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Well I liked both shows, they are vastly different but stand out, I'm happy for Fastlane, devastated over John Doe, but I knew only one would survive and I'd feel like this either way. Of course Fastlane won, it's visualy exciting rather than mentaly and I agree, it does say a lot about the "mainstream" audience, but it's not like we don't already know they're braindead. Offence intended.

RickGr

Second Unit
Wasn't VR5 another FOX Friday night show?

Fox tries more than any other network in these types of shows but rarely gets a full season out of them.

Why not just do 12 episodes that wrap up a storyline and be done with it. If its ratings are good enough then do another 12 ep arc and so forth. Just do not leave us hanging out to dry after we commit our precious time getting involved in these series.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Don't look now, but Boston Public is rumored to be moving to Fridays (via The Futon Critic) next season.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Don't look now, but Boston Public is rumored to be moving to Fridays (via The Futon Critic) next season.
I don't watch Boston Public, but if I did I would certainly take this as a very bad sign. I knew Dark Angel was doomed when they moved it (although the stupid mutant-freak story arc in season 2 didn't help).

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
"Strange Luck" and "The Adventures Of Brisco County Jr." are two more that didn't survive on Friday.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks