John Carpenter's Halloween already returning to Blu-Ray....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Nick Graham, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

EXCL: Halloween: 30th Anniversary DVD Coming - ShockTillYouDrop.com

Anchor Bay must be about to lose the rights on this one (just as they are Evil Dead, according to Bruce Campbell), so already we're not only getting a double-dip, but a box set. If the color timing has been fixed on the nighttime scenes, I'll gladly pick it up, sadly enough.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

It sounds like the six disc set is all DVDs and maybe AB will just re-promote their original Blu Ray release of the first movie.

My guess is that the existing DVD of the theaterical cut is disc 1, the TV/extended cut is disc 2, Halloween 4 Divimax is disc 3, Halloween 5 Divimax is disc 4 and then the 25 Years Of Terror doc is discs 5 and 6.

EDIT: That being said, I'll still gladly rebuy Halloween on Blu Ray if there is a new transfer or new special features.

3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Agreed - hopefully, they'll finally get the color timing accurate this time, but I'm not holding my breath.

4. Cassy_w

Cassy_w Second Unit

It's the same exact BD. Nothing new. They are just including the BD release, as is, with this set.

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

6. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

[​IMG] Hurray, the annual Halloween release from AB! What would we do without it? cause you just can't stop collecting them! [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

L O L

Very funny stuff. That is insane....I had no idea there were that many.

8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

For what it's worth, there's only been three different DVDs (one of which was a non-anamorphic release that was only available for about a year) over the course of a decade and they just keep re-releasing them in various combos. As they came out, I bought all three but I've never bought the re-releases of the same disc.

9. Panevino

Panevino Stunt Coordinator

Just let me see if I have this right and please correct me if I'm wrong here, someone...

Anchor Bay is releasing this set with the STARZ! edition of the Blu ray (which was G-d awful; ruined Cundey's whole approach with color timing, etc...to me, the definitive cut of this little gem is still the 1999 THX DVD, which I own -- but the Blu ray Disc looked terrible with way, way too much grain in many scenes featuring Loomis...I bought this last October) while all the other films are standard DVD editions? And where's III? I know this had nothing to do with Myers but it's still part of the franchise -- and what about II? One of the best horror sequels...I suppose this is because Universal is in the rights with II and III and Anchor Bay has the rest? What about those forgettable jokes of sequels like H20 and Revenge of Michael Myers or Curse of Michael Myers? These were Miramax releases, weren't they? Is this why they're not in this box?

This thing is ridiculous if that's all it is -- the two different cuts of the first film on DVD plus 25 Years of Terror and 4 and 5? And then the un-touched, un remastered Blu ray?

I'll keep my money, thank you. I'm even going to sell the BD version of Halloween I think too because the '99 THX DVD just looks "right" to me; the PCM audio of the BD release couldn't save it and it just felt like Starz! rushed this title to high definition with no real care to it -- a travesty for such a film.

10. Panevino

Very true...and how sad; each year, it seems, there's another one of these DVD releases for this classic -- can't Anchor Bay or whoever just leave this treasure alone? The BD transfer was a travesty in my opinion, and they just keep attempting too many times to create the "definitive version" of Carpenter's masterpiece -- when they know they're gonna rerelease it yet again with yet another holographic cover of the mask, pumpkin, knife...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

Wasn't there some incredible find of reels and reels of unused footage a year or two ago that was supposed to mark the centerpiece of an all-new remaster of the film for this anniversary? I've waited all this time and all we get is leftovers???

12. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Classic. I don't know of another title that was re-released this often.

13. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I Do! [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And funny enough it's Anchor Bay again.

14. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Wow.

15. Panevino

Didn't some distributor also do the same with Night of the Living Dead? [​IMG]

16. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

I think night of the living dead was different distributors because it's a public domain title. However I believe Army Of Darkness got almost as many release. Only one guess as to who was responsable for those releases [​IMG]

17. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

H:II and H:III are Universal. They don't want to mix with AB, maybe?