What's new

joggers please help (1 Viewer)

Wayne Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
It's time to start getting back into shape, and round is not a shape that I like.:b I jogged a lot in high school and loved it. Now I'm 34 and 25lbs overweight and I want to take up jogging again, I'm fortunate to have some neighbours who have invited me to join them.

Here's the question.

Should I start jogging slower and try to get a certain distance ie 1 mile or 2 miles?

OR

Should I jog what seems to be my comfortable pace and see how far it takes me? Then adding distance as I can?

I favour the second one but I wonder what will be more healthful and helpful? Which will allow me to get into shape quicker with less health difficulties?

Second question. Are you supposed to take a rest day between or can you jog every day? I know for bodybuilding your body needs the chance to repair itself, is it the same for cardio?

Thanks all.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I would start off mixing walking and very slow jogging and start out doing 2 miles or less. Don't increase the distance very quickly or you may risk getting shin splints or foot injuries. I would jog 3 or 4 days in a row and then skip 1 or 2 days and repeat the process. Stretch out really good and do it on the days you don't jog too. Buy a really good pair of shoes too. New Balance 999's would be good. See ya out on the dusty trail! Best wishes!

Wade K

Second Unit
I've got about the same specs as you (33, 15 lbs over or so, loved to run during high school)and have found running too hard on these old legs. Started doing the stairmaster a few months ago and find it a lot less stressful on the knees, and the pounds do come off (diet soda doesn't hurt either).

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
I would start off mixing walking and very slow jogging and start out doing 2 miles or less. Don't increase the distance very quickly or you may risk getting shin splints or foot injuries. I would jog 3 or 4 days in a row and then skip 1 or 2 days and repeat the process. Stretch out really good and do it on the days you don't jog too. Buy a really good pair of shoes too. New Balance 999's would be good. See ya out on the dusty trail! Best wishes!
Good advice, I would only add that you should monitor your heart rate while you jog for max benefit. Find out what your maximum heart rate is and try to stay within 65 to 75% of it for 30min or longer MHR calculator

AviTevet

Stunt Coordinator
I would start 1-2 miles a day, 3-4 times a week for about 4 weeks. Then increase mileage 2-3 miles a week... you'll eventually have to lengthen the runs, but the first week you start increasing mileage you can just add a day. The important thing is to increase weekly mileage slowly, and just for getting in shape you can take lots of rest. Once you're up to 25 miles/week, you'll be in great shape!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks