What's new

Joe Six-Pack came to my garage sale today (1 Viewer)

Paul W

Second Unit
Awesome! I'll have to remember that lesson.
Boot to the head *thunk!*
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
The sad thing is how amazingly INFLEXIBLE these people are. Even when confronted with the blind truth about widescreen they still refuse to believe it. I can understand people who know the difference but still prefer P&S, but the rest who continue to deny that P&S usually lops off 46% of the picture, even when shown comparisons, just astounds me beyond belief. I wish Darwinism was true in modern societies, because most of these people would probably die because they refused to believe in the benefits of seatbelts as well. P&S was not the way movies were intended to be shown, rather it was a means to an end when videos began to appear. And if some fucking genius had thought to do widescreen from the start, we wouldn't have 20 years of entrenched P&S dogma to tear down. I wonder what J6P would say if he knew that it really is P&S, not widescreen, that was the mistake.
BTW, if J6P came to my garage sale, I'd probably laugh and refuse to sell him shit. He's not worth my time.
------------------
Gee, I hope this doesn't lower your opinion of me

David Ely

Supporting Actor
I personally believe that both P&S and letterboxing should be destroyed. Both of these have video that covers the natural black tint of the TV!!!!! I spent lots of money to get a large black tube TV, and that's what I want to see! I don't need a picture blocking any of that pretty black!
biggrin.gif

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm hoping for a pricematch on the 50H81 and looking for component cables for my RP-91, DVL-91, and PS2. One item I'm looking at is the PS2 Monster Component Cables. The reviews on Amazon are frightening. Most give it 3 stars or less simply because it doesn't contain audio even though the PS2 has always had separate optical out and never had coax digital out.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/electronics/B0000524PB/customer-reviews/qid=997422940/sr=1-9/ref=sc_e_9/104-6391627-7261545

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Not that I'm defending this guy, but I have a funny feeling that he probably owns some DVDs that have both widescreen and open matte, and mistakenly assumes that all widescreen movies could be shown open matte.
What can you do? You should have said, "Oh...YOU'RE the reason for the Wonka fiasco!"

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
When will these people learn. Don't they know that kids don't mind and we loved to see every little movement in the movie, yet they continue to act this way. Sooner or later, Pan and Screen will be drop for good and just be a thing of the past. Until then, we have to fight the good fight against WB and it army of Joe Six Packs.
------------------

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
Man, this happens so often at the video store. I've run into some realdoozies as far as pan/scan fans go. I've gone so far as to pop in the old 20th century fox widescreen tapes (the ones with the spiffy comparisons at the begining of pan/scan to widescreen) to prove the point, but even confronted with irrefutable evidence they simply don't believe. The Insider was released ONLY in widescreen format, and so many people have put it back after asking me what that means. It's sad really. If only our TV situation was like Japan, where the widescreen television is now the norm.
------------------
Geoff
Now with Kung-Fu grip and realistic facial hair!

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
That dollar bill thing was the funniest damn thing I've heard in a long ass time. You Rule!! P&S sucks the fat one!!
marshall

AllenD

Second Unit
If you can't convince them, just walk away and tell them "It's your loss!"
BTW: the dollar bill story was great! :)
------------------
Signature? I don't need no stinkin' signature.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm Joe Six-Pack, and I love widescreen.
I'm serious.
Either you've met some amazingly stubborn people, or you all need to brush up on communicating skills. Wanna convince people? Show em Patton in P&S, then show them the movie in widescreen. At least this movie demonstration works on a lot of senior citizens.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Clinton, you devil, you stole that $$bill idea from me
wink.gif
In my video store days, when they released Last of the Mohicans on VHS it was letterboxed only thanks to the director, we had many people complaining about it. Trying to adjust their TVs to have the image to fit it. We also had people bringing in their VCRs to be repaired because of the "black bars"!!
eek.gif

I considered giving them change via the "pan & scan" method
biggrin.gif

------------------
Dear MGM : Quality over quantity & Consistency!
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
As an actual BestBuy employee who tries very hard to educate customers on the benefits of widescreen, it's so frustrating to hear on a daily basis how much people love their fullscreen movies. Latest example...had a couple ask me if the Days of Thunder DVD they wanted to buy was going to have those black bars on it, I explained to them yes, and that is the only way to see the whole picture. They looked at me dumbfounded, and I proceeded to use the HDTV's immediately behind for help(you'd think this would be easier for me to explain with all the examples at the store!) but they refused to listen, muttered some profanity under their breath as they put it back on the shelf, walked away, saying something to the effect of, "guess we're just going to have to rent the tape!" It's ALMOST enough to make me want to give up trying, not yet though...
-Matt

Rob Roth

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to say it guys, but even if all the monitors in the US were exchanged for 16x9 sets there would still be complaints. "Standard" TV programming and old P&S will be shown with black bars also, just 90 degrees rotated. J6P will still feel ripped off.

Conroy Tesa

Stunt Coordinator
I tried that dollar trick up here in Canada but the guy still didn't understand after I sawed the 2 ends of the dollar coin off!
Some people don't get it and it took a long time with that hacksaw.
wink.gif

------------------
Conroy

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Speaking of Joe Sixer, this was the actual conversation I had with an employee from our local Circuit City a couple of weeks ago.
Me: Did you guys get in any copies of Akira?
Circuit City Employee: Akira?
Me: Yes, Akira.
CCE: Is that the one with the 3-disc changer?
Me:
confused.gif
Umm, no. It's a movie. It was supposed to be out on DVD today.
CCE: Um, I'm not sure.
Me: Could I speak to the person in charge of the DVD section?
CCE: That's me.
Me: No, it's not.
CCE: Yeah, that's my area.
Me: No. Really. It's not.
CCE: Well, that's where I am now.
Me: I'm on the phone now. It doesn't mean I'm qualified to be a Bellsouth employee.
CCE: I'm not sure I understand your point.
Me: I'm quite sure you don't.
CCE: We did get in Sweet November. Were you looking for that?
Me: Look, do me a favor and see if you can find me a copy of Saving Private Ryan on DIVX, and get someone else on the phone.
CCE: But we don't carry DIVX anymore. What kind of movie is Akira?
Me: (sigh) It's an Anime. It was supposed to come out as a limited-edition tim box, and a Special Edition.
CCE: Oh yeah, the cartoon! We're not getting that movie.
Me: What? How do you know?
CCE: I remember hearing about it.
Me: Hearing what, exactly?
CCE: That Circuit City won't be carrying it.
Me: Do you have the number for Best Buy?
CCE: Uh, no. We don't associate with competitors, sir.
Me: Good, then I'll call there. (click)
Man, you just wish that people would care enough about their job to know most of what's going on......
------------------
This is all gonna end very badly.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
Maybe he was a Warner Bros. Executive
laugh.gif

These people amaze me.
As long as their little TV is full of picture...
rolleyes.gif

This is one of those things that gets soo under my skin that I can go crazy thinking about it over and over.
I wish that DVD would be like the wonderful letterbox-dominated LaserDisc format. No fucking JSP's ruing our OAR and sticking to the cheaper crappy VHS format.
If I could trade all the JSPs who have bought DVD players and have caused this demand in pan and fucking scan, full frame, full screen...whatever you want to call it...for higher priced players and DVDs, I would do so without giving it two thoughts!
I would gladly pay 40-50 dollars for a bare bones anamorphic widescreen copy of my favorite film than pay $20 for a version compromised by P&S.
These people who won't be educated and refuse to accept letterboxing as a form of preserving a films original artistic vision are ruining this format.
P&S/modified full-frame is the cost we have to pay for DVD going mainstream...how wonderful!
rolleyes.gif

------------------
LuvLBX

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
I held it up so he could see the whole dollar and said "Widescreen". Then I carefully folded it into thirds and ripped off the two outside sections. (At this point, there was a sharp intake of breath from J6P and a slight giggle of delight from the employee.) I handed it back to him and said, "4:3". Then I handed him the two pieces I tore off and said, "Move them around for pan & scan".
Was that really necessary?
I'm with all of you. But my goodness, is it necessary to be so militant?
------------------
SAM

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
To paraphrase master Fairlane:
"So many As*holes, so few bullets."
biggrin.gif

Regards