What's new

Jobs sells Pixar to Disney! See Post#34 (1 Viewer)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
yep, some sites are reporting that the purchase of Pixar by Disney will be announced tomorrow...I'll be watching anxiously.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I am worried this is going to totally screw up Pixar. Why do they need Disney to buy them? Pixar can and needs to stand on it's own. I love Disney I admit, but I shudder to think of Pixar under thier control. I don't see any good side to this...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Me either, they'll just take a good thing and screw it up like they've done before.

I just can't see how a one-shot sale can be of more value than a sound, multi-year distribution contract for their films.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Indeed, I think it's a blow to what pixar could have been. Even if Disney doesn't screw up what they already are, I had high hopes they would branch out their artistic vision. On their own, making deals with individual studios based on individual films, there was no limit to what they would have created. With Disney they'll never make anything other than fun for all ages family films.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Wires are on FIRE. Apparently a deal has been reached - $7B in a stock split, and Disney will announce the acquisition of Pixar.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member

Not if you're one of the many Pixar stockholders who have seen its stock rise 41% or so during the last 4 months since the buyout was rumored. ;)

~Edwin

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
All this lamenting, but I like the sound of this part, plus the quotes from the Times story that Ted put up.

I don't know, it seems like Jobs and Lasseter are getting MORE input rather than less and will likely see Pixar remain what it has been while also helping get Disney animation back on track a little.

Seems like under Iger that Disney decided to face up to where its bread was buttered.

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think the corporate heads at Disney ruined Mirimax. Wienstien's head was growing a bit, and a lot of tensions were caused by bigger budgets...meaning the Mirimax of old was dissapearing anyways.

Likewise, Pixar's made some great movies, but from the vibe I'm getting off Cars...the loss might not be as astounding as we fear...

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
From the sound of the articles I've been reading, it doesn't seem as if Disney will take over Pixar as much as that Pixar (well, Steve Jobs, really) will be taking over Disney. If this is so, then it could potentially mean greater and more creative things for animation and for the wider empire that the Disney name represents. Seems like a fine idea to me.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
There was a story on NPR this morning pointing out how alot of the animators at Pixar went to Pixar to get away from Disney (at least Disney's direct supervision). There is some concern about how the employee ranks will fair if they're forced to formally become part of the mouse again.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
There is no official word yet on the buyout. But most analysts say that today might be the day for an official announcement.

~Edwin

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor

Ditto. It may be a longshot regarding the wider empire, given Disney's size. OTOH, with the failure of Disney's animation team of late, at the least, Pixar will take that over - and should.

Jobs as a bigger Disney shareholder than Eisner - isn't that a kick?

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Well I knew it was coming. What i wrote earlier I was just trying to be funny. I AM worried but the more I think about it, the more it could be a good thing. I have been worried about Disney screwing up Pixar but on the other hand, I have not though enough about Pixar HELPING Disney.

I adore Disney and I always will. I feel bad for them that they don't have thier animation reign anymore like that which started with "The Little Mermaid" and the string of hits that followed. I miss that and I miss thier 2D animation. Is it going to be coming back?

I do not want Disney's 2D to go away, that IS Disney to me. This may sound funny coming from me, if you knew me. I am actually a Computer Animation major at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco. My dream is in fact to be an animator at Pixar. So it may seem funny for me, someone who wants a future in 3D hoping 2F survives. I want BOTH to stick around. In fact as I write this I am at work in Emeryville, CA. Pixar is less than a mile away from me. I think it's very cool knowing they are so close. I could be taking the exact way to work someday for my dream job that I take now for my temp job.

Guess my paycheck might say Disney on it eh? Well I use to want to work for them when I was little...

Jon Mahoney

Stunt Coordinator
According to CNBC the head of Pixar's Animation development will be named head of Disney Animation so it looks like Pixar's taking over.

Brendon

Second Unit
With John Lasseter and other Pixar creatives now in relatively high creative places in Disney, PLEASE don't let the spreadsheet weilding, demographic/marketing obsessed people near them!

Pixar, along with Studio Ghibli, appear to be the last feature animation houses who understand the route to good animated features begins and ends with STORY and CHARACTER (Fantasia excepted!). That Disney are not currently alongside these two in terms of feature animation quality is a crying shame.

Perhaps John Lasseter can teach his former employers Disney how to make great great animated films again as Steve Jobs taught his former company Apple how to make great computers again a few years back.

Oh, and can the work to date on Toy Story 3 right now!!!

Brendon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks